Cant Diagnose This Problem!

dirk

Okay I have a 1995 Pathfinder XE 4x4 355,000km. This is my problem I start my truck and everything works fine with lots of power, after 30min of driving it starts having a lot of engine hesitation and is very sluggish, it feels like its not getting enough fuel or air. I°ll floor the accelarator and it will max out at 10kmh with no power thats when people start honking at me... After I let my truck sit for an hour or two then it works again and then the same problem occurs. My air filter is brand new, changed my MAF sensor, new fuel filter, PCV valve works, EGR valve works, new distributor cap. I cant find the problem could it possibly be my crank angle sensor? Or maybe my fuel pump? once it starts heating up it starts to fail? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

It does sound like the crank angle sensor, to me. Have you checked for codes at the ECU? If it is throwing a CAS code, its time for a new distributor. This is a very common problem. It might not hurt to remove the dizzy cap, rotor and the small plate covering everthing. Look for possible wear, debris and even corrosion. Go to the Garage section and into the How-To's, and there is a thread on how to pull your codes. Post them up and we can go from there.

Its an automatic. I tried running the ECU codes either I dont know how to work this thing or its broken lol. I turned the key on. turned the little slotted screw fully clockwise waited five seconds turned it fully counter didnt blink at all.... then i turned it back, and both LEDs blink twice pause then three times then three times again. So maybe its not giving me any codes or unless those are codes?

Definitely O2 sensors... On R50, we have heated O2 sensors, but I assume in 95 they were not heated...So the ECU will run in 'safe' mode for the fuel/air mixture until the engine is hot enough that it starts relying on the o2 sensors for better fuel/air mixture (therefore explaining the 30 minutes delay and when you let it cool down) .

If you're good with a voltmeter, start your truck and wait for it to be hot... Now take your voltmeter and drop in on your O2 sensor. If you get anything out of the 0.2 to 0.8 Volts, you're sensor is done... I suspect it thinks it's to lean (0 volts) and sends tons of fuel to the injectors to help fix the issue...

It's not your fuel pump, or else it would start to fail right when you start it.

S.

My guess is ecu coolant temp sensor. Cheap to replace, my Auto Zone had one in stock. Have you run your codes yet? It's absurdly easy, follow the how-to in the garage if you haven't...

Alright i'll change the ECU sensor I have another one kicking around. I tried running the codes and I got what I said in my last post^^^. Also my fuel burns like a mother! Full tank lasts me under a week and remember I can only drive 30-45min at a time!

i just read a thread about this yesterday. It's kicking around in here somewhere but i can't find it. The guy said it was his either his coolant temp. sensor, or the cyinder head temp sensor; when it goes the ECU starts dumping a tonne of fuel into you engine cuasing it to run as yours does.

sorry i can't remember which sensor it was, but if you type in "14 miles" in the search bar you'lll find a bunch of guys talking about it.

i just read a thread about this yesterday. It's kicking around in here somewhere but i can't find it. The guy said it was his either his coolant temp. sensor, or the cyinder head temp sensor; when it goes the ECU starts dumping a tonne of fuel into you engine cuasing it to run as yours does.

sorry i can't remember which sensor it was, but if you type in "14 miles" in the search bar you'lll find a bunch of guys talking about it.

My recent thread has reference to the temp sensor...

Alright i'll change the ECU sensor I have another one kicking around. I tried running the codes and I got what I said in my last post^^^. Also my fuel burns like a mother! Full tank lasts me under a week and remember I can only drive 30-45min at a time!

Sounds sort of like mine, mines burning fuel like crazy. If you weren't getting a code, you'd probably get the code I get, which is "Code 55", "No Malfunction"... What you need to do is not wait 5 seconds, leave it in diagnostic mode until it blinks a bunch of time, then just turn it just off of diagnostic mode... It'll blink 3 times, and then start to blink out the code... I also found it's easiest to remove the cover of the ECU, so you can see the LED's without having to get in the back seat. I'm going to be changing my O2 Sensor and EGR tomorrow with junkyard parts, hopefully it's my solution. Mines different from yours though, mine runs a little rough at all times, near idle, but runs great off idle. It runs super rich though.

I changed my ECU temp sensor and I thought it fixed it but it just prolonged the time for me to notice the sluggish acceleration and loss of power. I tried searching for the 14 miles thread I couldn't seem to find it... I'll also try to figure out this ECU. Possibly the cylinder head sensor? hmmm I'll look into that.

Okay changed Temp sensor problem still exists. removed the o2 sensor from the pipe and drove it problem is still there. where's the cylinder sensor located???

Can you duplicate the problem with the truck sitting still? Or when driving under load? What I am getting at this there may be more steps you need to take. If you can dup it holding still, I would pull a plugwire and use a screwdriver, or a in-line spark tester, and check the spark to see how strong it is. A weak spark is typically orange, while a good spark is more blue. You could also connect a timing light to verify you are getting spark signal down each of the plug wires. This might eliminate a distributor causing you issue. Having the issue being after drivng for 30 minutes kind of rules out most things. Everything is warmed up by then. You may have to drive it a few more times and see if you can get a code to pop up. You gotta tough one on your hands, but take your time and you will get it.

Okay I have a 1995 Pathfinder XE 4x4 355,000km. This is my problem I start my truck and everything works fine with lots of power, after 30min of driving it starts having a lot of engine hesitation and is very sluggish, it feels like its not getting enough fuel or air. I°ll floor the accelarator and it will max out at 10kmh with no power thats when people start honking at me... After I let my truck sit for an hour or two then it works again and then the same problem occurs. My air filter is brand new, changed my MAF sensor, new fuel filter, PCV valve works, EGR valve works, new distributor cap. I cant find the problem could it possibly be my crank angle sensor? Or maybe my fuel pump? once it starts heating up it starts to fail? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Sounds a little like what my old 88 did, though she played up after about 3min driving.

I thought it was a vac line as she'd run fine for about 3min then loose all power and die, wouldn't restart till she sat for about 10 min.

Nursed her home then got the IGN signal code out of the ECU. I didn't have a spare TBI coil so I risked a MPFI one. Vroom, ran like a champ again.

Know anyone close that you could borrow their coil for a couple of hours?

the spark plugs are firing perfect ign coil is perfect I checked them all with a meter. could it possibly be the o2 sensor or my ECU is just crap? starting to get frustrated...

Your supposed to unplug the o2 sensor from the wiring under the hood not remove it from the pipe.

oh hahaha alright i'll try that.

I call BS on teh o2 sensor.. I know people who don't even have one.

When i changed mine all it did was help emesions.. and it was nothing but a ball of rust and not doing anyting.

Same here, mine ran just fine without an O2 sensor. Gas mileage in the city was down but on the highway it actually leaned it out even more.

That was my ECM Coolant Temperature Sensor. Half a tank of gas in 14 miles.

Are you sure you replaced the one for the ECU or the one for the temperature gauge?