87 Stock Suspension

heres a ? is it okay to disconnect the anti sway bar on the front suspension for wheelin or does it make it easier to break something just curious because i have always had solid front axles until i bought my pathy

Yep, I didn't notice any change with the front gone. I did get some body roll on the corners with the rear off, but it's an offroad truck, I'm not trying to drift the thing on the street.

thats cool i will just take the front off than i wonder if there is a quick disconect setup that anyone offers. im not trying to drift mine either lol i just take my wife and kids in the truck and just wanted to make sure. thanks very much for the info.

My old one remained off after the driver's side mounting bolt snapped when going around a clover-leaf getting on the freeway. It went bang and suddenly the truck dipped to the driver's side and it scared the piss out of me. Once I was used to it, I didn't noticed. But the sudden difference was noticeable.

With my 88 (no sways) I had to do an emergency lane change at 75mph because some idiot pulling on the freeway came right at me, it swerved just fine. It's kinda fun going down the WV turnpike at 80 around tight corners, I'm sure it scares the hell out of the other drivers watching it lean though.

yeah you can remove the front sway bar

and you can remove the rear if you drive under 60 mph or 100 kmh

i have seen pathys with neither sway bars present

your bushings might wear out slightly faster without the sway bars though

thats cool i will just take the front off than i wonder if there is a quick disconect setup that anyone offers. im not trying to drift mine either lol i just take my wife and kids in the truck and just wanted to make sure. thanks very much for the info.

Yes, AC does and perhaps others. Some members have made their own and some just unbolt the rear bar on one side before wheeling. In general, I'd leave it on unless you hit the dirt though.

B

Yes, AC does and perhaps others. Some members have made their own and some just unbolt the rear bar on one side before wheeling. In general, I'd leave it on unless you hit the dirt though.

B

Im thinking about putting a 1" one on mine. I like the stiffer handling.

Then I can go drifting too if I want....

Edited by Alkorahil

yeah you can remove the front sway bar

and you can remove the rear if you drive under 60 mph or 100 kmh

i have seen pathys with neither sway bars present

your bushings might wear out slightly faster without the sway bars though

Meh, my rear sway bar has been off for several years now and I drive over 60mph on a regular basis. In addition, I have a rack and a matching full sized spare in the rack on top of the truck and I have no issues driving. Does it lean? Yes, but the body roll is not so extreme that I am uncomfortable with it. Is it for everyone? No I am sure many would not like it.

But I have spent years driving vehicles that exhibit worse handling characteristics, so I am more less used to it.

My front bar, although connected, has no bushings on the frame mounts, so it does little except in extreme situations.

I've done many emergency lane changes as well (as grimgreg described) And just like he said, I am sure the lean scares other drivers.

But in MY case, with MY setup on MY truck, I am OK with how it handles... your results may and likely will vary :togo:

:beer: