Gas Smell

olddirtyrake

Well last week I took a small trip and when I parked I noticed that there was a gas smell in the rear by the tank. I was just wondering if there is a common leak like the sending unit or maybe it could just be a hose? Suppose I wont really know until I drop the tank yay.

No you don't have to drop the tank. Peel back the carpet in the back and there is your access hole. Check the hoses first and if they are good then it is probably the gasket that the fuel sender is sitting on. The most you will spend on it is $10 at the dealer.

My 93 started leaking around the seal on the sending unit where it meets the tank. There is an O-ring about 1/8" thick sitting in a groove there. Even witha replaced seal I had a leak, so I had to use a sealer on there also.

My 93 started leaking around the seal on the sending unit where it meets the tank. There is an O-ring about 1/8" thick sitting in a groove there. Even witha replaced seal I had a leak, so I had to use a sealer on there also.

I have the same problem on my 95 what sealer did you use?

I have the same problem on my 95 what sealer did you use?

In all honesty, the wrong kind...I used an RTV that was supposed to be OK with gasoline, but some disolved and clogged my filter. It didn't disolve to a point it leaked again though, and it has been 4 years since that fix. If I were to do it over I think I would have tried Permatex MotoSeal instead.

thats odd, it should seal perfect

btw if you have a nut driver, use it

Obviously it didn't....

It was almost like the tank had warped in a way that it gapped where the seal would mate to it, while being tight all around where the bolts go in.

(And an air ratchet > a nut driver ;) )

could over tightening it warped the surface?

that is what i think happened to grim

Obviously it didn't....

It was almost like the tank had warped in a way that it gapped where the seal would mate to it, while being tight all around where the bolts go in.

(And an air ratchet > a nut driver ;) )

air ratchet will snap those little things right off

i was able to hand tighten it with a nut driver and it sealed perfectly

Edited by Tungsten

• 3 weeks later...

The fuel smell on both of our Pathys turned out to be a leak in the lines at the attachment to the frame on the passenger side.

Behind the cross member in the middle of the frame.

It's where I've consistently found the worst corrosion for the fuel and brake lines.

The bracket holding the lines may be too rusty to unbolt but you can simply pry it open from the top to separate the lines.

For a quick fix you can cut out the bad section and splice in a piece of fuel hose (which every good home mechanic keeps around... :-) ) until you get it replaced.

Hose clamps are good enough to hold it since the fuel pressure isn't very high.

Make sure you connect the hose to a clean section of fuel line (or the best you have) or it will leak past the clamps.

i recently found my mysterious gas smell, the evaporation line that goes back to the tank was rotted, and clogged, so it wasnt venting the fumes. i loosened my gas cap and a big rush of fumes escaped...

it was broken in the passenger side front wheel well, i noticed it when i was putting on my rancho's.