Oil Pressure Sending Unit

Kittamaru

Aighty, so I'm staring at this damn thing... and two questions dawn on me:

A) How do I remove it. I dont' want to damage the wires or anything, and it's so covered in @!*% that I can't really tell what's what. I plan to clean it before I remove it, but where exactly does it disconnect? I don't really see anything that looks like a connector 0o'

2) Do I have to drain the oil first? I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to double check.

i just replaced mine. its a single plug sensor, just unplug it. i HIGHLY recommend going to harbor frieght or your local tool shop and picking up a special socket designed for this. i picked one up for 2 bucks. and depending how much oil you have, you may have to drian it. mine was leakin out of the sensor itself, so there wasnt much oil left.

this is what i have, just black. made the job very simple.

2569.gif

Ah, so it has a special socket then? Maybe that's why I was hving issues finding one that fit (here I thought it was just my twit father had lost his sockets while drunk or something)

I removed mine last summer since the attached wiring was just barely hanging on.It was removed quite easily with a pair of channel lock pliers.After i cracked it loose(very easily) i just unscrewed it by hand via the wheel well(after removing front tire).Replacing was as simple as screwing it back on and snugging it up a tad.I then repaired the plug on the wire and just snapped it back on to the unit along with sheathing the wire.The oil filter was removed during the process.Was replacing my starter at the time.I guess using that socket would be the proper way to go though.

I'll have to take a close look at the wiring - I'd swear I saw exposed silver, but that wouldn't make sense would it?

Anyway, I can't do jack till wednesday (my next day off) and thursday (my second day off) so yay two days off in a row...

BTW - how difficult is it to replace a wheel? One of my studs broke (I swear someone welded my lug nut to the stud) and I know driving on 5 is fine in the short term but it makes me nervous...

Ah, so it has a special socket then? Maybe that's why I was hving issues finding one that fit (here I thought it was just my twit father had lost his sockets while drunk or something)

I just used a 12point box end. I cant remember what size but it fit perfect.

Edited by MY1PATH

you can use a nut cracker to install it, lol. its a tapered thread so it dont need to be that tight. i did this before when i was in a pinch and had no tools but what i could find, and didnt leak a bit.

Edited by Channel595

So I got an Oil Sensor Socket, and pulled the old one out... and the new one will not go in.

Old one threads back in fine.

I took it back figuring it was the wrong size, and they showed me something that mortified me...

The goddamned threads are damaged, and they think someone over-torqued it... only one person ever replaced that sensor, and I swear to god he's NEVER touching my truck again!

So, I have a dilemma - do I re-tap the threads and risk having metal shavings on the inside of the oil system, or do I simply force the new one in, damaging it's own threads?

Ugh... this SUCKS.

EDIT - so, I managed to get it in... I don't know if it's in RIGHT or even in the entire way... but fskc it it's in and it seems to be sealed so it's fine for now. Once other more pressing things are taken care of, I'll have someone look at it.

Unless one of ya'll wants to come check it for yourselves :P

I still say it's the wrong item... it looks different from the one I took out - longer threads, thinner "base", and I swear the threads are slightly closer together... but meh, whatever.

Edited by Kittamaru

Well, good news is that she started.

Oiled her up, new filter and oil and all that jazz. The sending unit seems to be working fine (light went out once the system re-pressurized). Engine is running smooth (if not a little noisy). Still running rich... or maybe it's just because I had the garage door shut, dunno.

Anyway, I have to put her back together and move to the other side of our garage ASAP (read, tomorrow), and then tear her apart again.

Would it be helpful to put the truck up on 1 foot high ramps in the rear and jack the front up to allow me to work under her?