93 Se Pathy Drive Train = 92 Hardbody?

Jenkie

Hi folks, I posed this question in the introduce yourself forum, I apologize for the double post - I realized I should have posted it here. I have to kiss my pathy goodbye due to serious frame rot, and have a chance to pick up a 92 hardbody with 50k miles and a bum tranny. Can I yank the tranny from the PF and put it in the truck? Both are auto 4wd.

I will also be parting the pathfinder out and will post it here as soon as I know whether I can use the transmission or not.

Thanks in advance all!

Jenkie

Yup. both are V6, sweet - thanks! I would think the suspensions were different - make any sense to swap those too? I forgot to metion that the Pathfinder is a 93, while the Hardbody I'm wanting to upgrade is a 92.

The front suspension in a WD21 Pathfinder ('86.5-'95) is identical to the Hardbody suspension. The rear suspension is different, Hardbodys use a leaf spring set up while the Pathfinders use a 5-link coil spring set up.

Torsion bars have an inch or so difference in length in the front, Pathfinder is coil sprung and linked in the back, HB has leafs. Trans ahold match up since you said they are both 3.0 trucks, driveshaft lengths are different and IIRC HBs have a carrier bearing. Still alot of usefull things from one truck to the other though :aok:

Oh and welcome!

Torsion bars have an inch or so difference in length in the front, Pathfinder is coil sprung and linked in the back, HB has leafs. Trans ahold match up since you said they are both 3.0 trucks, driveshaft lengths are different and IIRC HBs have a carrier bearing. Still alot of usefull things from one truck to the other though :aok:

Oh and welcome!

Yeah, aside from the T-bar length, the front suspension is exactly the same. Though the steering may be slightly different, IIRC some 92 HBs had an oddball steering gear in them.

• 3 weeks later...

The 4wd D21 hardbody and all WD21s (both 2wd and 4wd) use an identical frame and drivetrain with the exception of the rear suspension. The pickups use leaf springs in the rear while (as we all know) Pathys use a multi-link setup.

There has been a pathfinder with leafs on the back before though. I cant recall for certain if it was stock or if someone swapped it in, but I think I recall them saying it was stock. I've seen pictures of one on this forums at some point years ago. A Grey one i believe.

There has been a pathfinder with leafs on the back before though. I cant recall for certain if it was stock or if someone swapped it in, but I think I recall them saying it was stock. I've seen pictures of one on this forums at some point years ago. A Grey one i believe.

They might have used the stock lower link mounts to hang some leafs off of. :shrug:

I did some searching on here for a while but wasn't able to find the thread. Since I've been coming here, I've only heard of one pathfinder with them though so my thoughts are they were most probably some home job, or some how someone took a Hardbody frame and put a pathy on it. I know there was a post from ages ago about someone making a sort of stretched pathy and it had a leaf set up but it turned out to have started out as a hardbody. At any rate, I've been unable to successfully find the link even though I remember reading it from like 4-6 years ago cause i thought it was odd then. Maybe someone with more time on there hands can go sifting thru some old threads with more success.

thanks, it's not a big deal. years ago when I was living in NY I worked at a 4x4 shop mostly doing tires and some counter work, that was when I first bought my 87 Hardbody SE-V6 4x4, it was stock, but working in the shop gave me access to a world of knowledge and a very good discount on parts. We never had too many Nissan's in the shop but the few that came in were far above normal, one pickup had 35's and a supercharger, another one a 720 we did a 4.3 chevy swap in and boondocker ( old company for sure) fiberglass fenders and rear flares, but My boss rented out a building across the street to an auto glass company and one of the owners had a 2 door pathfinder that is where I thought I saw leaf springs on the rear of his truck, I probably am mistaken as it has been so long ago. sorry to go off topic.