Spark Plug Change On 95 Pathy.

EarlFairweather

I called my mechanic the other day and asked what he was going to charge me to change the fuel filter, O2 sensor and spark plugs. I almost hung up on him when he said 2.5 hours alone for the spark plugs.

I have changed spark plugs in other vehicles before, is there something harder about the 95 Pathfinder? It looks like the air intake manifold is blocking the left plugs but that shouldn't be hard to take off eh?

Could one of you pros tell me the steps so I don't demo my truck hahah.

Thanks

number 6 is way in the back near the firewall, you'll need a long extension to get to it. other than that it's a piece of cake, even #6 isn't bad as long as you have the right tools

number 6 is way in the back near the firewall, you'll need a long extension to get to it. other than that it's a piece of cake, even #6 isn't bad as long as you have the right tools

So I don't even need to take anything off? Just a good extension?

yup. i use an elbow and extension so i don't have to lean so far over the engine. There should be a tool in your spare tire kit to help you, but most people just use and extension. You can reach all the plugs under the intake manifold with a long extension. Make sure you clean out the plug holes before you remove the old plugs. i find adding a bit of anti-seize to the new plugs helps the come out a bit easier.

If you have the toolkit, the piece you need is in there. If not, a 12" extention will reach no problem. I universal joint does make things easier. With a cold engine, I replaced the plugs, cap, and rotor is about 1 hour. Make sure you use some compressed air to blow out any debris that settles into the plug wells so it doesn't fall into your engine. The fuel filter is right under the hood near the battery, so that's about 5 minutes. The 02 sensor takes a little while to get to, but mostly because its under the car. The job is quite straightforward. You should be able to the whole thing in a couple hours.

soak the 02 sensor with pb blaster atleast overnight and while working on your plugs soak it again...rent a 02 sensor socket and itll make your install a heck of a lot easier

another thing on the spark plug # 6 is after replacing it make sure that the small vacuum hose in that area is still connected and not damaged better yet just replace it , it cost like 30 cents per foot for those

Dont lose patience on plug 6 if you cant get it right away.It took me 3 tries the first time I did mine tune up

Edited by PATHRIDER

change the plugs when the engine is cold (off overnight) otherwise you can pull the threads out of the head along with the old plug. Change the fuel filter with the engine cold so if there is a leak you are spraying gas on a cold engine, not a hot one. :FartExplode-vi:

change the plugs when the engine is cold (off overnight) otherwise you can pull the threads out of the head along with the old plug. Change the fuel filter with the engine cold so if there is a leak you are spraying gas on a cold engine, not a hot one. FartExplode-vi.gif

Pop the gas cap too, that way you will have less fuel trying to creep its way out of the hose while you get the other hose off and the new filter in.

The changes went good, but I had to get my mechanic to change the starter. It finally broke ( Almost in half ) I couldn't do the starter my self, you really need a hoist for that. The fuel filter and plugs went fine.

I also bought a new spare tire rack from the wreckers, as mine didn't come with one haha. Im painting it and putting it on today.

Thanks for your help guys. Ill post pictures when it's on.

I also bought a new spare tire rack from the wreckers, as mine didn't come with one haha. Im painting it and putting it on today.

Make sure you get and install the brace that is on the inside of the quarter panel. Saw a Pathfinder at pull-a-part once that had the tire carrier installed later. You could tell by the bolts they used it wasn't factory installed . Anyway without that support brace on the inside the weight of the tire and rack opening and closing had bent and kinked the quarter panel and it looked bad.

I noticed it because I owned a 95 at the time that didn't have the rack and was thinking about installing one too.