Hockey Pucks

My neighbor said I should just use hockey pucks and longer bolts for a 2" lift..

Is that OK? or Does anyone know of problems with that?

This is my first Pathy and my first 4x4...

I don't have a lot of money and this sounds pretty cheap for a 2" body lift(I can't resist)

anyone got experience with this stuff?

My neigbour said they used to do it all the time (old school)

Also I'm gonna try the JGC spring lift on the rear..(2")

and can I just turn the torsion bar on the front and adjust the tie rods for a 2" front lift??

Edited by Kingsizerob

Hockey pucks are what 1" each? So thats 2 per bodymount + 10 bodymounts= 20 pucks. Pucks are what $2.00 a piece?(guessing) Theres $40. Plus nuts and bolts. Plus extending the fuel filler neck and vent tube. Plus dropping the hoop at the one brace. Plus other hardware I'm forgetting. Your proably gonna be at abou tthe same price as just buying a bodylift and not have the half-fast look of having crooked-drilled hockey pucks stacked between your frame and body. Belive me, I'm all for saving a buck and doeing some things quick and dirty, but thats a little out of my range.

do you really have to extend the filler and vent?

I already own about 100 pucks or so it just seemed like an easy lift..

Anymore input would be appreciated

Remember this is my first pathy BUT also my first 4x4

Edited by Kingsizerob

Without knowing what pucks are made of, I would be very wary of using them. I'm lucky enough to work for a company who has a CNC shop and who works exclusively with aluminium, so when we did mine it cost me $15.00 total, just had to buy the hardware. I didnt need to extend the filler or the vent.

Thanks for the input guys..

It looks like I'll be buying a lift kit .I don't wanna be unsafe by having a hockey puck break.

It was mentioned to me buy a couple of guys(hockey pucks).But I wanna do it right..

even though I live in Canada and have hockey pucks to spare LOL..

go get the hockey pucks and throw it at your neighbor for trying to put your life and whoevers going to ride your pathy in danger :stickwack::deadhorse:

LOL yes yes I will He's a Hab fan anyway and he's used to getting alotta pucks thrown at him..

Well then what body lift kit do you recommend?

remember I don't got a lot o money???

Here's one

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfinder-inch-body-lift-p-277.html

It's half the price of the 3" suspension lift. And you don't have to get it aligned after.

I have heard people talk about rollers for boat trailers too.

I prefer suspension lifts because you get more ground clearance.

James

You truely don't get more clearance from the lift, your axles are still at the same height. Lift is so you can fit bigger tires which is how you vain complete clearance gains.

I have used hockey pucks for several cab mounts and lifts on jeeps, S-10's and even fullsize PU's as well as engine/trans mounts. lifts as high as 4"

I have never had any issues with using them.

Ive never had them break or crack.

Most are aprox 1" so if using 2 mark the center, tape two together and drill them out. This keeps them nice and even.

I have a ton of fairly new pucks and I'll be using them when I do my 3" lift.

For $150 I sure wouldnt take the risk .I wouldnt even buy a take off , by the time you buy all the hardwares thats needed and time consumed not to mention gas youll probably going to end up spending just the same. Just my opinion

You truely don't get more clearance from the lift, your axles are still at the same height. Lift is so you can fit bigger tires which is how you vain complete clearance gains.

and easy access to the manifolds in case it needs servicing :D

I agree. I just bought the 3" from 4x4parts.com

It's better to do it right the first time. If you don't have money, maybe a lift right now is not a good idea anyways. Save up some money first and do it right the first time. I'm for saving money too, but sometimes, you just can't. Some things can be short cutted, some things can't...and this is one of them.

i say go for it and try the hockey puck lift... the rubber will only break down if you live in a polluted place and that is like years of corrosion, if your tires will get side wall checked before your tread wears out thats a bad sign. besides the rubber will probably have some cushy feel to it so it might make a softer ride :)