Instead Of Adding A Trans Cooler Can We...

ac92pathfinder

The main reason for bypassing the stock cooler (located inside the radiator) is due to the stock ones clogging over time and restricting trans fluid flow. An external filter may slow this process but will not completely solve it. Also, if you are not installing a new auto trans radiator when you put the filter in, all the build up and restriction that had previously developed in the original cooler will still be there and causing problems.

If your planning on installing a new radiator/cooler unit, then you might as well just install an external cooler and be done with the whole issue wink.gif

If you had a new transmission and a new radiator, I'd say the adding a inline filter would be sufficient. With one or the other used, you run the risk of the OEM cooler clogging and hosing your new transmission or spewing lots of abrasives back into the new tranny. The inline filter is still a good idea, as it keeps the fluid clean. I'm planning on installing a Racor LFS 22825 on my Pathy once the weather breaks.

Yep, I agree with everything said. I go a step farther though. For about 200-$250 you can add an aftermarket cooler, bypass the radiator, install a filter and temp gauge. If this is not enough to keep the tranny content, not much else is either...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24503&view=&hl="tranny filter"&fromsearch=1

B

Has anyone ever tried flushing out the radiator and stock ATF heat exchanger in the radiator?

I know there are a ton of products out there for cleaning and refinishing fuel tanks and radiators that would work well,

For most off road radiators I have used POR15 Marine clean or castrol superclean,

setting the radiator in a wall paper tray of either solvent overnight should clean them out and ready them to be flushed.

the external cooler I would say is a must for the offroader. it keeps the temps cooler then an exchanger on a radiator ever could, but for the average dialy driver a good cleaning could save you a lot of $$$

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever tried flushing out the radiator and stock ATF heat exchanger in the radiator?

I know there are a ton of products out there for cleaning and refinishing fuel tanks and radiators that would work well,

For most off road radiators I have used POR15 Marine clean or castrol superclean,

setting the radiator in a wall paper tray of either solvent overnight should clean them out and ready them to be flushed.

the external cooler I would say is a must for the offroader. it keeps the temps cooler then an exchanger on a radiator ever could, but for the average dialy driver a good cleaning could save you a lot of $$$

in terms of draining the transmission cooler how do u go about doin that on 1990

There is no cap on any tranny cooler I have ever seen. The air gets burped into the tranny but this is not a problem as the ranny is vented. Any trapped air can reduce the cooling ability so to avoid this, most people plumb the lines so the inlet is on the bottom. I have heard that there is enough pressure and flow that this is not necessary, but it seems to me that it couldn't hurt. :shrug:

B