Ignition Timing

olddirtyrake

I was wondering what could cause my Ignition timing to bounce around. I hooked a timing light up and timed it it looks like its jumping up and down ranging from 10-15. So its not stable it bounces around about 5 degrees I was wondering what could be causing this. It runs great sometimes then feels boggy at other times due to timing Im assuming. Vacuum lines maybe?

Edited by olddirtyrake

I'll let you know when I figure it out. Mine only changes 2-3 degrees, but enough to be clearly seen and to make it hard to time. I can't bellieve it is normal function...

Been waiting for a break in the rain to check a few things out.

B

Im having the same problem on my hardbody...It was running fine till I changed my plugs, wires,pcv valve,filter, caps and rotors.

I replaced some of the vacuum hoses also and it still idles funny. I gaped the plugs to .032

It runs fine but when im at a stop it seems to idle rough and i can see my rpm go up and down from about 700 to 800

Could I have crossed any of my plug wires? When I took the old plugs out which are also ngk I noticed the gapping on them is far wider than .032..I can almost shim a quarter on there

Well, actually, don't take what I said to heart...I know it's 800RPM for MY truck which is a TBI engine, I don't know about the MPFI's RPM specifications for setting the timing. I got a little too far ahead of myself...

I believe you need to view/adjust your timing at EXACTLY 800RPM or you'll never set the timing properly, and the engine needs to be 100% warmed up.

HMM I set my timing @ 600 rpm and then turn the idle back up....

(fully warmed up, all accesories & lights turned off)

Edited by MY1PATH

I'm fairly certain the idle specs for the MPFI are 700-800 manual tranny and 750-850 AT. I have never had to adjust it before, so I'm no help there...

B

I was about to send you a message bud...lol..Im sure somebody can chime in on how to adjust the idle..Ive never done it either and everytime I do a tune up I only adjust the timing and call it good....i was looking at the ecu and it has idle speed screw on there..maybe I should mess with it

Edited by PATHRIDER

HMM I set my timing @ 600 rpm and then turn the idle back up....

(fully warmed up, all accesories & lights turned off)

The sticker under the hood says to set the engine idle speed at 800RPM.

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I've tinkered with the idle adjust screw and it did not seem to do a darn thing :shrug:

i have a fsm, but haven't verified yet. I believe you have to unhook the throttle body postion sensor to set idle.