What To Do About My Exhaust?

DanAK

Well my exhaust is getting slowly but progressively louder and I have decided to do something about it. I want to do a whole cat back system but with roughly the same setup as stock. I want to be as quiet as possible for my street driving and I want to incorporate a Electric cutout system for power and off road.

For the Cutout I want to strait pipe it to the back with maybe a 2in pipe skipping the muffler but going through the last resonator (so that its not just too crazy loud). I don't want to free it up to much so that I get the torque loss I have heard about but I wouldn't mind getting the extra 5-7 HP (I also just think it will be awesome to have a loud button on the dash :tongue: )

I would appreciate input and alternate Ideas! Thanks

Edited by DanAK

Interesting idea. I wouldn't do it though. Expensive, pointless, and more to go wrong on the trail. Just have a resonator and muffler and you should be good to go.

Engine-merge-resonator-muffler with dual outlet. Make it 1.75" piping and at least an 18" long resonator and you're good to go. Just remember the longer the resonator the quieter the exhaust.

Jose

Yeah I know its a bit pointless but I do drive the thing on the street up to 300k a day for work sometimes and the engine noise bothers me a lot at around 100mph. I would like to reduce that as much as I can so it might be pretty restrictive. I will talk to the shop about it on Saturday (maybe)and see what they can do.

I will try to post a video when I am all finish. I will also do a post with all my cars mods and the details in a month or so because I am doing some things that are new.

P.S. On the theme of reducing road noise as much as possible, can anyone tell me whats that main reason a car will get louder over time? I am going to replace my door weather seals. Will this make any difference?

-Dan

Like a few other Aussies, i have just done a 2 1/2 into single 2 1/2 from the cats back as my OEM system suffered bit from when my Pathy was at stock height! it sounds ok and doesn't drone. Seems a bit better torque but does need a tune. Will report back here after a tune up.

Don't forget we run the VG33 here.

Nick

Edited by Nickj

I think I will try the cutout system that I talked about. I will post my feelings about it when it is done, but I just got word that I need to go do some work in another country for a month or so I will update this post when I get back.

You regularily drive 100mph?!?! We would instantly lose our license and our vehicle on the spot if caught doing that here plus fines.

If you are driving that speed, making the exhaust more restricitive is not likely doing your engine any favours, it would likely be making it work harder if anything. You would be better off in investing in a high end muffler (or 2!) that were free flowing and quiet... maybe a flowmaster delta 50 or something, not sure.

The cut-outs would only serve as noise makers.... the gains you would see from this would only be at WOT or close to it and on the trail would suffer some torque loss - or if you end up managing the torque loss somehow, then you would have a net zero for HP/TQ, just the noise. JMO.

Well here in the the UAE 100mph is no big deal and the highways are long, strait, and boring. I probably drive my car to hard, but the engine handles it well and I haven't had any engine problems except the exhaust getting louder and louder (actually now I am being nicer to my pathy because the engine noise at high revs bothers me).

I have had a few people saying that a Cutout is a bad idea. Is there anyone out there who thinks a cutout might be a good Idea? Keeping in mind that I would like to have a quiet system and a performance system on the same car.

-Dan

• 3 weeks later...

my boss at work has a flowmaster catback on his R50 and it sounds hella nice @ idle and when he's romping it to pull outta the lot, around 3k though it gets kinda raunchy sounding, also it was dirt cheap Delta 50, muff and install was around $180

• 1 month later...
I raced a F150 on the highway for awhile hitting the limiter a few times....

Dude why would you ever race an F150?

That's like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded!! (no offense meant by this quote)

Dude why would you ever race an F150?

That's like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded!! (no offense meant by this quote)

Because he was being an ass, passing people on the shoulder, so when he tried to do it to me...I floored it :shrug:

ah i see. Wish i had a 3.5 so i could do the same. With the 3.3L, i can only floor it against garbage trucks and buses, otherwise its a guaranteed loss.

Im willing to bet that the 99 Pathfinder / QX4 was the slowest SUV sold (in north america) that year.

Who doesnt go up to 100mph? I raced a F150 on the highway for awhile hitting the limiter a few times....Nissan put the VQ in the pathy for a reason holmes :new576:

Yea my Titan at WOT doesn't shift into the last gear till 100mph. Uprev in Austin can take that rev limiter off for you. I got my pathy up to 85 once, to get to 100 I would have to be going upwind down a big hill for a mile and a half.

James

Not Canada, just Ontario, and It sure feels like sometimes, thumbsdown_anim.gif

Manitoba's no different. You can thank all the ricers thinking they're race cars drivers for these new laws... That's what happens when immature, uneducated children are given vehicles they can't handle and end up killing someone.

I knew a guy last summer who totally destroyed his car after hitting a bump on the road at 160km/h. Lost his license for five years, car got crushed... Luckily, no one got hurt but he should never be allowed to drive again. Triple the speed limit is just plain stupid...

Back to the cutout...I think they are a cool toy but unless you have the money for that kind of toy I wouldn't do it...I know a member is using the Aero Turbine muffler and really likes it, but idk about the drone at 100+