Auto Lockin Hubs?or Just A Wiring Prob?

pathfinderfisherman

as some of u know i have been increasing my pathfinder "fleet" lol and i ran across one where the 4wd light wont come on or engage the locks ......ive looked all through my factory sevice manuals and cant seem to find enough to tell me what makes the light work a switch on the transfer case or where it is............i'm gonna try and look at the wiring diags now but i could have sworn i saw something here too..............maybe the prob could be fixed with new manual lockers eh????

the light is wired to a switch on the transfercase. it should be on the passenger side of the truck.

the auto hubs dont have anything to do with the transfer case engaging, but if the trans case doesnt engage the front diff, the auto hubs cant engage.

is your trans case lever hooked up all the way?

You could just have a blown 4x4 light, and the auto hubs might be bad too.

The switch is located in the transfer case, here

wd21tx104wdswitch.png

If the light is not working then the problem could exist in the switch, bulb, fuse and/or wiring.

If need be, check the wiring between switch and bulb and between power and switch, including the fuse)

The hubs are not electrical, they are completely mechanical. They engage when the axle shaft turns.. They have no electrical system that enables or prevents them from working. If they are not working then they may need cleaned or rebuilt.

as some of u know i have been increasing my pathfinder "fleet" lol and i ran across one where the 4wd light wont come on or engage the locks ......ive looked all through my factory sevice manuals and cant seem to find enough to tell me what makes the light work a switch on the transfer case or where it is............i'm gonna try and look at the wiring diags now but i could have sworn i saw something here too..............maybe the prob could be fixed with new manual lockers eh????

Change the light bulb or just ignore it. You'll know when you are in 4x4... ;)

B

Could you be going past 4H into neutral? :shrug:

B

Would be my guess, it is a short throw into 4wd. The rear would still have power if 4H failed, and about the only way our T-cases fail is the chain stretching or breaking, and the chain only powers the front drive.

I feel so stupid right now..Im in 4H all this time and just found out today at the emissions place. The tcase @!*%er wont shift up anymore and its almost hitting the bottom of the radio bezel..could the tcase be bad that it wont shift back to 2h anymore...im pushing as hard as i could with the transmission in neutral and wont push up anymore.

when I bought the truck i didnt even bother to check the tcase...took it for a spin and it ran fine except for the exhaust manifold leak that is now fixed

Sometimes it shifts better while moving, sometimes it doesn't. If it is all the way forward it should be in 2H. Maybe your linkage is messed up.

im going to try shifting it while driving tomorrow and if it doesnt shift ill take it to a tranny shop and see if they can adjust the linkage or see whats going on with it..thanks guys

:doh:

Ok, something is screwy!! Obviously, don't drive around on pavement in 4H...

Look at the shifter linkage, is there anything out of whack, not lined up right, bolt slop adjustment, etc??

Unless something is very wrong, you should have the proper throw to get all gears. I'm not sure I can be more help without being there and fiddling with it. I'll try though... :shrug:

B

:doh:

Ok, something is screwy!! Obviously, don't drive around on pavement in 4H...

Look at the shifter linkage, is there anything out of whack, not lined up right, bolt slop adjustment, etc??

Unless something is very wrong, you should have the proper throw to get all gears. I'm not sure I can be more help without being there and fiddling with it. I'll try though... :shrug:

B

ill be installing a manual locking hubs tomorrow and would it be safe to drive it with the hubs unlocked till i get a day off to fiddle with it? Ill check for those things you mentioned bud and will keep you guys posted

Yes, you can drive around in 4H with manual hubs disengaged, but your drive train and CV's will be turning regardless and I believe the recommended limit on that is 50mph?? I would try to avoid it in principle and definitely would not drive the freeway like that for any distance. Better to remove the 4X shifter and shove the linkage all the way forward to 2H... ;)

B

wd21tx104wdswitch.png

If the light is not working then the problem could exist in the switch, bulb, fuse and/or wiring.

If need be, check the wiring between switch and bulb and between power and switch, including the fuse)

The hubs are not electrical, they are completely mechanical. They engage when the axle shaft turns.. They have no electrical system that enables or prevents them from working. If they are not working then they may need cleaned or rebuilt.

thanx again 88 u are the man how did you get the little red arrows????I could use that myself

also the chick who owns the truck says she took it to her mech. and she said he said "axel is going bad" she said when she turns it it makes some slight noise i fig it waqs a cv joint or the like....we'll see

ill see saturday it is one of two im going to settle on,my pathy is out of comm.....sorta.....

im going to look At two sat.... one has 100,000 the other has 200,000 and is a thousand cheaper than the lower milage.....probably be drivin that one back with the "axel " prob if it needs any thing ill use it off my pathy.....

What say you all on the matter of "axel" and turning noise

the little guy on my left shoulder says buy the low milage...that way it'll be less probs and last longer (and he's probly right)

the little guy on my right says buy the cheaper high mileage one "we'll" fix it......

truth is the right one is hardly ever right and he's too little to turn a wrench anyway,

the wife won't understand but 100k and no rust im all in.......

she doesn't help as much as the little shoulder guy either sooooooo....I guess i'll jus be happy then..........

Edited by pathfinderfisherman

Change the light bulb or just ignore it. You'll know when you are in 4x4... ;)

B

she jus said the little light didnt come on and it wouldent lock up ive never had to look at my front 4wd before so i was supposing the hubs were elec or something.... i think she like many people (including my wife) can't tell if its in 4 wheel even when the tires are grabbing on corners lmao....I'll know saturday....leave it to the pathys to keep it real without any unneeded garbage like my chevy....vacuum locker junk stranded me once and i dint know i could push it up with my finger under the batt to engage it...it now sports a power locker....

so now i need to figure out if i should mess with it or buy another.....

hope its not the transfer case

ewwww

wd21tx104wdswitch.png

also i might add i looked at that page of the fsm a hundred times and now with the red arrows ..................

good thing it wasn't a snake...........

also i might add i looked at that page of the fsm a hundred times and now with the red arrows ..................

good thing it wasn't a snake...........

jeez i get so tired with the lookin for answers and trucks now the wife hits a deer with the gt then week later mopve into the new house arrrggghhh

i can make those arrows hell i did all kinds of stuff with pdf's when i did my patent......so no need to post back on that one ive done that stuff in the past with adobe

lol what fun times

Yes, you can drive around in 4H with manual hubs disengaged, but your drive train and CV's will be turning regardless and I believe the recommended limit on that is 50mph?? I would try to avoid it in principle and definitely would not drive the freeway like that for any distance. Better to remove the 4X shifter and shove the linkage all the way forward to 2H... ;)

B

man what a big difference on how it drives now bud without the auto hubs engaged...hahaha..I dont do any freeway driving and the fastest I go is probably 40.

Im going to check the shifter linkage come monday ...ill keep you guys posted ..Thanks fellas :beer: :beer:

jeez i get so tired with the lookin for answers and trucks now the wife hits a deer with the gt then week later mopve into the new house arrrggghhh

i can make those arrows hell i did all kinds of stuff with pdf's when i did my patent......so no need to post back on that one ive done that stuff in the past with adobe

lol what fun times

umm... OK :lol:

*I used the free Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/) ;)