Fire!

ChrisPerna

so i was driving my truck and all of a sudden i smelled burning and i pulled over and saw nothing. so i kept driving and all of a sudden my feet were on fire from my carpet burning! i didnt get burned that badly but it was some scary @!*%t. i looked into it and theres a hole on my floor. its not to bad but any advice on a used carpet and floor repair??

well i would say get your exhust checked also and possibly look in upulls for carpet or it might be on courtesy parts. The exhuast is what started it i used to have a whole in the floor with no heat sheilds in my old pathy but itn ever got hot i bet you have a hole or a cloged cat.

My Guess is it was right around your Pedal Foot. Under your Pathy at that spot is the Y connector for your Exhaust and gets HOT. It burns holes in our floors there commonly. My theory along with many others is that its a combination of the wet sh!t you bring into your vehicle on your shoes that migrates down to that exact spot where a lot of heat build up from the y connector pipe merges. My thoughts personally were that all that grime and wet stuff eventually work hardens the area from constant heat and water, heat and water and eventually weakens the area faster. Add Salt from winter weather and you got a serious Fast Rust spot and eventually a HOT foot.

The Fix, Cut it out, Clean it up, Weld some new metal in, Clean up your welds, Prime it with a High Heat Resist paint, and rhino line it or use a similar paint. As for the Carpet, you can grab something from the Wreckers from another Pathy, Or you can Buy a new one from These guys.

Good luck.

Edited by Dowser

This happens on a lot of pathfinders, actually, vehicles in general. I think it is if you have an exhaust leak at the Y like a lot of pathys I see do, and it sprays the hot exhaust right on the floor removing any rust proofing there and burning off the paint and starting rust. Add in what dowser mentioned and you have a prime spot for rust to start, the salt that comes in the @!*% off your shoes just makes it even worse.

Pull up the carpet, wire brush the rust the best you can, get a cookie sheet (not a non-stick and aluminum won't rust) the thicker the better, trim to size and beat into shape, run a big bead of 100% silicone sealant and shove it in place. Drop a couple of silicone hot-pads on it for insulation. pull come fo the carpet backing/padding from the upper portion behind your pedals to fill-in what burned and replace the carpet. Next time you are under the truck, spray past the exhaust system and hit the cookie sheet with some rubberized undercoating. That will also help insulate it and will make the repair look much less like a cookie sheet. Mine has worked and passed vehicle inspection for a few years. Total cost of repair.... not a hell of a lot.

Yes, it is common and yes, it is probably caused by an exhaust leak fron the flange there.

I formed 2 pieces of sheet stainless and sheet metal screwed them in place and together. There are a few threads here about the various fixes people have done...

B