The Real Problem: Drive-By-Wire

Tungsten

You probably all heard about the Toyota gas pedal recall and the floor mat recall but it doesn't end there...

http://www.freep.com/article/20100201/BUSINESS01/2010368/1331/Toyotas-problem-in-other-vehicles

The problem is the unnecessary amount of electronics in cars today which are sensitive to electromagnetic interference which can be quite a serious problem. I'm happy our WD21s have cable based throttles. :)

Another reason I don't like newer vehicles. The cable worked, so why change it?

Cables do stick as well. But drive-by-wire is also a more fuel efficient throttle body.

The problem lies mostly in their computers. The computer also freaks out when you slam on the brakes while the accelerator is stuck.

I like how Toyota shifted the blame everywhere on this. First the floormats, Now it's the pedals. Their current recall is installing shims on the pedals. They are just full of themselves.

I like how Toyota shifted the blame everywhere on this. First the floormats, Now it's the pedals. Their current recall is installing shims on the pedals. They are just full of themselves.

Yep, they said they tested the computers and they work fine :rolleyes: , the problem (of course this is only after October 09) they say is a piece of metal rubbing :crazy: .

Of course they also still maintain that before October 09 it was ONLY a floor mat issue, and none of the accidents before then were anything to do with the computer/pedal issues.

Yep, they said they tested the computers and they work fine :rolleyes: , the problem (of course this is only after October 09) they say is a piece of metal rubbing :crazy: .

Of course they also still maintain that before October 09 it was ONLY a floor mat issue, and none of the accidents before then were anything to do with the computer/pedal issues.

Can't imagine the changes between 08 and 09 being THAT big honestly.

Nissan has been using drive-by-wire for quite some time. We just dont have that many problems with them. I like them personally. Much more responsive, better control, better fuel mileage, less varying speeds when using cruise. I guess I dont like the fact that I have to turn the key on, have someone or something push on the pedal, if I have to look down the throttle body for any reason. Technology isnt that bad, when it works right. Embrace it. Its not going anywhere.

You can fix a sticking cable by spraying some lube on it, you can't fix a bad computer component when it decides to go haywire. I hate the lag of a lot drive-by-wire systems. My step mom's Kia Sportage lags a noticeable amount and then jerks you around when it finally catches on to the fact that you've pressed the pedal down and would like to go somewhere. It's done it since it was new, her friend's does that too. The Nissan systems don't have any lag at all.

I believe the recall on the Toyotas are for the pedal controls that are made by CTS and not Bosch. :shrug:

Both designs are approved by Toyota, so the problem is still theirs. They can jump around that all they want but the general public has probably lost an awful lot of trust in the company. The millions of recalled vehicles plus 85% of their product line not being sold leads to a big impact in Toyota's market share.

Good, I hope they cease to exist.

The whole thing with the drive by wire. It's a decent system. I don't find them to be as responsive as a cable personally. But that's just me.

I like how when the Camaro SS cars were breaking tailshafts on he transmissions people were quick to blame GM (despite the transmission manufacturer owning up to it), when the real problem came from people abusing the transmissions and launching like morons. But everyone quickly blamed GM as if they made them. Toyota blames the pedal companies and everyone says "aww poor toyota. that's alright". I just don't get it.

Also even Steve Wozniak is saying there is a problem with the Toyota computers lol

at least when a cable is worn you can adjust it, if it breaks, you can see it's broken and is about $40. If a drive by wire TB dies, they are $200+ and you need a $3000 shop computer to relean idle and clear the code.

Edited by R3DN1CK

Exactly, maybe its not the gas pedal and maybe its not the floor mat. The real problem might as well lie within the ECU itself. Drive by wire is a cheap way to make you think your vehicle has a lot of power. You don't know how far that butterfly valve opens when you put the pedal down like 1/4. You think you are only using 1/4 when the system goes into full throttle. The ECU might very well be the case and all the rest of this bull@!*% is just a cover up.

129095496909562368.jpg

EDIT: I just found this on the net... http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/video?id=7251716

THERE IS PROOF!!

Edited by Tungsten