Visiting Lake Michigan

Phantom01Pathfinder

Ok, so to start off i am from northwest indiana and in the past 3 days we've got about 24 some inches of snow. Today me and my dad decided to drive up to the lake and have a look around.

So we were on our way to Michigan City. Man, oh man, the roads were terrible. But that didnt stop the Pathy. Once in Washington Park though, that was a different story. I was blasting through big drifts and cruizing right along. I slowed down and proceded to go through a gate and thats when it all went south. I sunk like a rock!! LOL. I guess when there are no paths in the snow to follow the going gets rough. Especially when its about 2 feet deep and not plowed. So she sunk down and started spinning. I got to rocking her back and forth but just dug myself deeper. Tried 4hi and 4LO but nothing. Just alot of burning rubber. Close by was a US Coast Guard truck with 5 guys in it looking for kids that were playing out on the ice (i hope they found them). it was a big F350 dually diesel crew cab 4x4, with a plow.

Well needless to say we were not going anywhere. Soon after, we saw some people walking down by the lake with with snowshoes on! i realized it was deep when i opened my door and it pushed snow out of the way. haha. Well they helped dig snow out from around the tires and helped push but no go. Eventually an F150 came by and asked if we needed help, but he didnt have a strap or chain. (neither did I, oops!). We tried some more and no luck. We'll, next we saw a half ton ram come up and he had a strap so i asked him if he could pull me out. But before he did tried to pull me out the Coast Guard plowed in front of me, and i went to rocking it again. Well needless to say something magical happened and i was able to rock it out. So all in all i have learned my lesson, ALWAYS CARRY A STRAP OR CHAIN!

She may have got stuck, but i was lucky enough to get her out.

Hope this was a good story for everybody. At least i didnt get pulled out by a dodge or ford!! j/k haha (i like most brands anyways)

Oh and all this happened in a parking lot, not out on the beach.

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

Ok, so to start off i am from northwest indiana and in the past 3 days we've got about 24 some inches of snow. Today me and my dad decided to drive up to the lake and have a look around.

So we were on our way to Michigan City. Man, oh man, the roads were terrible. But that didnt stop the Pathy. Once in Washington Park though, that was a different story. I was blasting through big drifts and cruizing right along. I slowed down and proceded to go through a gate and thats when it all went south. I sunk like a rock!! LOL. I guess when there are no paths in the snow to follow the going gets rough. Especially when its about 2 feet deep and not plowed. So she sunk down and started spinning. I got to rocking her back and forth but just dug myself deeper. Tried 4hi and 4LO but nothing. Just alot of burning rubber. Close by was a US Coast Guard truck with 5 guys in it looking for kids that were playing out on the ice (i hope they found them). it was a big F350 dually diesel crew cab 4x4, with a plow.

Well needless to say we were not going anywhere. Soon after, we saw some people walking down by the lake with with snowshoes on! i realized it was deep when i opened my door and it pushed snow out of the way. haha. Well they helped dig snow out from around the tires and helped push but no go. Eventually an F150 came by and asked if we needed help, but he didnt have a strap or chain. (neither did I, oops!). We tried some more and no luck. We'll, next we saw a half ton ram come up and he had a strap so i asked him if he could pull me out. But before he did tried to pull me out the Coast Guard plowed in front of me, and i went to rocking it again. Well needless to say something magical happened and i was able to rock it out. So all in all i have learned my lesson, ALWAYS CARRY A STRAP OR CHAIN!

She may have got stuck, but i was lucky enough to get her out.

Hope this was a good story for everybody. At least i didnt get pulled out by a dodge or ford!! j/k haha (i like most brands anyways)

Oh and all this happened in a parking lot, not out on the beach.

Please do not tow a truck, esp a stuck truck, with a chain. Use a proper rated snatch strap. Chains do horrible things to humans when they snap. Ok so does a snatch strap, but it is least likely to go through your window and your head!

Food for thought.

So all in all i have learned my lesson, ALWAYS CARRY A STRAP OR CHAIN!

Yes, always carry your own strap. There was a deal here for a 20k lb strap for $20 or such. Please buy and carry one.

I'm glad it wasn't an ordeal, but it sounds like it could have been. Are snow tires justifyable now?

B

And we go out in winter looking for snow to play in!!

snow10.JPG

And you found it in the parking lot?

I guess in hindsight, you could have let some air out of your tires down to maybe 20PSI. This may have helped.

Rocking backwards and forwards can often pack the snow down bit by bit.

Anyway, alls well that ends well.

Nick

Edited by Nickj

Please do not tow a truck, esp a stuck truck, with a chain. Use a proper rated snatch strap. Chains do horrible things to humans when they snap. Ok so does a snatch strap, but it is least likely to go through your window and your head!

Food for thought.

I know it's not ideal but if you've got nothing else but a chain you gotta use what you have!

I'd rather be stuck than decapitated....

ya chains are terrible, i know 2 ppl that had their windows smashed out because of them breaking. i guess if thats all you had you could wrap some stuff around it like a winch wire, might keep it down if it breaks. the worst is the hurky jerky as i call it. getting a bunch of slack and taking a run at it. Theres a video on youtube of a truck trying to pull another truck with brute force and his hitch ripped off and put a hole in the stuck truck's tailgate.

Yes, always carry your own strap. There was a deal here for a 20k lb strap for $20 or such. Please buy and carry one.

I'm glad it wasn't an ordeal, but it sounds like it could have been. Are snow tires justifyable now?

B

i got yokohama geolandar at/s's on it. they seemed to do fine in the snow. plus i couldnt afford a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires and switch them out each season...

but yes a strap will be purchased before my next outing...

thanks for the advice...

You boys are afraid of chains,well I once used a chain to pull a avalance out of my pond,I didnt notice until later(I use the same chain to chain my boat up for deer hunting,I cross a river) that I couldnt use a pad-lock on most of the links because they where streched.This was a heavy chain,but clearly not heavy anuff to pull out a 6000 pound truck.I have a set of logging chains now that links are 1 inch thick(not the whole link,just one side) My grand farther used them as secondary saftys one semi trailer(was the sixtys,he was union...)They have never strected or shown any signs of wear and will be passed along because I trust my life to these chains.A recovery strap or winch is best but chains are a stand by,they have been around longer then any thing else and have been proven time and time again that they are safe.Most of the injorys are caused by the users own stupidness,they clearly chose poor quility stuff and it has come back to bite them.I have had a recovery strap break because it was being used in tandom with a chain and the chain just dropped,while the strap came flying at the back of my truck.And this was a qulity recovery strap,and not one of those 5000 pound max tow straps you get at wally world.

I have had a recovery strap break because it was being used in tandom with a chain and the chain just dropped,while the strap came flying at the back of my truck

Um, yeah...

Chains can be super strong (and super heavy). They are also far more likely to become shrapnel...

Carry and use what you want. I have what I would use; if you ever meet me, we'll be using my stuff.

B

I'd rather be stuck than decapitated....

I'm sorry but I would rather not leave my truck in the middle of nowhere especially in some areas here where if you leave it over night it won't be there the next morning.