Rear Diff

How many qts of gear oil you think the differental takes? Right nowe mines being real sensative right now when i have the wheel turned with no acceleration the lsd kicks in when i back out or even pulling in. also does it around corners. the cap so tite on the diff i can bust it loose im in the dark so tomorrow after work i will bust it loose tomorrow. i soaked wd on it. i know it has to be the gear oil for lsd and has to be 80w 90 im hoping they will have lucas oil for it. the beast is hitting 190k tomorrow. also the lsd wearing out my right rear tire im hopeing changeing the fluid will fix this problem. thanks sorry for the novel. ps heres the pic of the tire its wearing. wearing evenly though i got about an 1/8 of a thread left. Jan03_001.jpg

I just did mine yesterday, took about 3qts. If its low it will cause more lockup but filling it up will not stop uneven tire wear(nothing can) but it will slow it down.

Nowadays a good 75w90 gear oil should say on the label that it has lsd additive in it("good for limited slip differentials" will prolly be the exact wording) if it doesn't say it then buy some additive or go with a better oil.

ya i was talking to kingman too and he also said its either low or the oil needs to be changed. i figure i minus well do it just change it. anyone recommend a brand? im gonna head over to walmart tomorrow and see what they got. thanks mypath for the reply.

Edited by ac92pathfinder

Damn, stay away from Wally World!!

I have no idea if that will work for you, but as My1P said, the bottle will be clearly labled that it is LSD compatible or not. I found Lucas gear oil for mine at an auto parts store. Autozone, I think...

B

Damn, stay away from Wally World!!

I have no idea if that will work for you, but as My1P said, the bottle will be clearly labled that it is LSD compatible or not. I found Lucas gear oil for mine at an auto parts store. Autozone, I think...

B

aint that bad i went right when the opened at 7am after i got off of work. its a small walmart anyway. i went to kragens they have vavoline for 5.69. i wanna use lucas can i buy 1 lucas and 2 vavoline? reason is i lost my other job and dont have much to spend. im just debating of just toping it off right now. thanks

aint that bad i went right when the opened at 7am after i got off of work.

Yes, it is, VERY bad. You would get better care if you took it to the local High School auto shop for repair work, NOT JOKING! At least most all shop teachers actually know what ASE stands for and oversee what the students do. Go to Wal Mart and you get the short bus rejects working on your stuff with no one around to know what is right or wrong! Hell the guy changing oil was probably bagging groceries last week, and didn't get a raise to move to automotive.

If I were you I wouldn't let anyone from Wal Mart, no exceptions, touch your truck.

I would drain and replace the fluid ASAP with a good quality oil. Old or low fluid will cause a lot of accelerated wear and eventually ruin the rear end.

i was gonna do it myself. just by the oil there is what i ment. im just thinking of getting the supertech oil for now till i can afford the good stuff. can i just buy one lucas brand and the other 2 supertech along with the additive?

done :) i replaced it with lucas gear oil. so i didnt have to add any additives it made so lsd also. i took it down the road for a drive found a dirt area made all kinds of turn forwards and backwards no loud noises just alittle which is normal. but its also not as long as it was before too, the lsd kicking in. thanks guys for the replies. as for the tire its on the rear that was rearing out its from the lsd kicking in when im makeing turns cause i can hear it grabbing. i also got to fix the passenger rear tire that had a screw in it for the longest time. what a bitch it was getting it out. so now its plugged. :itsallgood::chairfall::deadhorse::fireworx::popcorn::cheetos::ar15::lol:

I doubt you'll see any mileage change and driving it won't change the fluid level so don't worry about it.

Every time I buy a vehicle, I change all the fluids unless there are records to prove when it was previously changed. It's not hard or expensive and sets a start point for PM...

B