Alternator Warning Lights

Soccerstudd5

Don't know if this has been posted before but I just encountered it and thought that it could be useful knowledge for others, and someone correct me if I'm wrong.

About a week ago, the battery and brake light would come on the dash and wouldn't go away until revved above about 2800-3000 RPM's. I didn't pay much attention as I have had weird lights come on and mean nothing before. But then a few days ago they stayed on no matter what. Then the pathy died while driving laat night with the lights on. All electrical went out and it died, I'm sure you all know what happens when the alternator goes out.

Almost got hit cause it was night and I was trying to push it out of the road and didn't have enough power for hazard lights.... bad situation.

Anyways.... replaced the alternator today and charged the battery a bit. I've since driven it 30 miles or so and the battery and brake light are now no longer on. I can only assume that those two on at the same time is the dummy light for the alternator going bad.

So the long and short of it: if the brake and battery light is coming on until you rev it up, you may want to get your alternator checked and/or replaced.

beer.gif

Why on earth would they make the brake light come on if the alternator is bad? The battery light alone should be sufficient to tell you to investigate your electrical system.

If I saw a double light like that I would have thought it was instrumentation issue instead of real problem.....:scratchhead:

Why on earth would they make the brake light come on if the alternator is bad? The battery light alone should be sufficient to tell you to investigate your electrical system.

If I saw a double light like that I would have thought it was instrumentation issue instead of real problem.....:scratchhead:

That's what I thought, but I got my battery tested and it was fine so I just ignored it. Turned out to be a bad idea.

Also, my alternator was covered in grease and oil... any ideas? I plan on taking a closer look at the engine in about a week when I can put it in the garage and I'm not in my apartment parking lot when it's below freezing, and possibly taking it into the shop.

Edited by Soccerstudd5