Power Steering High Pressure Line

Chriskaw440

Howdy all,

Well my 1990 sprung a tiny leak in the power steering high pressure line, right up next to where the fuel filter sits next to it.

I've never replaced anything power steering related (mechanic replaced the pump a few years back) and was just wondering if there was anything out of the ordinary I need to look out for when replacing it. I have found the assembly for about $55 to $60 bucks at Rock Auto. Looks pretty straight forward but just thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

thanks! -Chris

I just removed mine out of the parts truck and it was pretty simple and straight forward. I can't think of any warnings other than have a catch pan and plenty of rags handy and if you live in the rust belt, pre-soak the bolts with penetrant.

B

As said by B, some kind of penetrant on bolts is your friend, have a drain pan and some rags, and take a break to wipe tools and hands clean on occasion. The fluid can make things slippy and make grip a little challanging for some people.

All I have done with the PS on the Pathy was installing extended lints after the body lift, but I installed the complete system on my Yota (it was manual originally) and as others have said, there is nothing to really look out for other that frozen fittings/bolts

All I have done with the PS on the Pathy was installing extended lints after the body lift, but I installed the complete system on my Yota (it was manual originally) and as others have said, there is nothing to really look out for other that frozen fittings/bolts

Thanks for the tips. For now I just removed the belt and drive it as little as possible until after the holidays. At least driving it to the gym now I get a pretty decent upper body workout with no power steering LOL.

i replaced the entire high pressure line without taking anything out

you can do it :)

a week later my power steering pump exploded and made a nice oily mess under the hood

replaced that as well with a reman and hadn't had an issue since

I had to replace that hose in my old 88. I drove it 25km, pulled it out and dropped it off to a friend of my brothers who welded on new fittings and gave it a new piece of hose.

put it back in and I was away. The guy was a hydraulic hose repairer, cost me $40NZ cash. You could try that route, especially if your driving without it now :aok:

• 1 month later...

success! now that the holidays are done, I finally ordered the PS HIGH PRESSURE LINE from Rock Auto (I think they are great by the way) and installed it today....Only frustrating part was

getting the bolt threaded back onto the steering gear box (whatever it is...located under where the air filter is....) since the new line wasn't a PERFECT EXACT FIT as the original was, it was tough to get the bold at just the right angle, and still keep the washer on the underside of the bolt/fitting.....but with the help of my wife getting under the rig and pushing up just a little on the hose line....it was all I needed to get the angle right.

So nice not having to wrestle with the steering wheel anymore :)

Oh and I have had a PS PUMP blow up on me before too..many years ago.....apparently the pully shaft just plain broke apart/snapped and I guess I was leaving a trail of ATF fluid a few miles long

up I-85 until I finally heard the banging noise coming from the engine compartment....in between songs on the CD I was jammin to LOL.

Next.....replacing the hydraulic lifters on passenger side....they are on the way!

For banjo style fittings (like the bolt ends on the PS hoses), I always reuse the old bolt and washers instead of using the new unless the old are destroyed.

yeah I used the same bolts, since the new line only came with new washers, which I compared with the old, to see they were an exact match. It was just a matter of getting that one banjo end

to stay in the exact right spot so the bolt could be threaded....just took an extra pair of hands to hold the line while I threaded it. It was also easier to reach after removing the air

intake (K&N cone).