What Is This Thing?

sencaw

Hey all!

Got my alternator done today and now with the knocking and grinding sound gone, I noticed a new noise that could not be heard over the old rattlin alt.

The noise emanates from this thing and sounds like a coffee maker percolating, it that normal or should I do something? Item in question pictured below:

pf10.jpg

and as always - thank you in advance!

Edited by sencaw

Carbon canister for emissions, I'm pretty sure. I have a 95 so I don't know if our units are the same. There shouldn't be any liquid in it. What kind of liquid is it??

At least drain, if not replace it. Are you sur the vacuum diaphram is finctioning correctly?? Maybe that is responsible??

B

Carbon canister for emissions, I'm pretty sure. I have a 95 so I don't know if our units are the same. There shouldn't be any liquid in it. What kind of liquid is it??

At least drain, if not replace it. Are you sur the vacuum diaphram is finctioning correctly?? Maybe that is responsible??

B

Yeah, beats me if its working properly or not - no sure if there is liquid in it, just sounds like its gurgling - wasnt sure if that was normal or not...

Yes that is the Canister, but are you positive that the gurgling is coming from it and not the AIV, the thing in the lower right hand corner of you picture.

That is, in my experience were a gurgling sound normally comes from. They often rust out, due to the exhaust gases that run through them. Run along the outer edge of it and see if it is solid, by the pic I can see rust on it already. Check along the bottom of it a little extra, if it does have water in it, then that is where it is likely to rust the most thumbsup.gif

I've replaced mine twice with wrecking yard units (and the AIV Case, located behind the headlight once) Both times it was gurgling.