Vg30E Has A Very Weird Sound

Tungsten

Yeah, it's fine to run it off like that. The balancer will only go on one way, and the pulley is even all the way around. No worries there.

25 degrees isn't actually that bad, I've seen them further off and still run. :shrug:

its like glass marbles bouncing inside the cylinders

the owners manual describes it as a "metal rapping sound"

its very high pitched, an average consumer camera can't pick it up like it can pick up rod knock, leaking manifolds, and flat valves

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE

Ok! Upon further investigation I think it is the clicking fuel injectors. After my new exhaust system, the pipe is banging on the crossmember now and retarding my timing to hell. The sound does not change with the timing and it definately doesn't sound like a knock. It could be a lifter tick but it sounds a bit too high pitched for a lifter tick and no camera microphone can pick it up. Therefore I suspect it to be the fuel injectors clicking. The more fuel they inject, the louder they click. The amount of clicks per second changes with the RPM too so its probably the injectors going faster and slower. Is it normal for these things to click? I have been running like this since I got this thing and haven't had a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

so it was for sure the injectors? because if it was just a case of putting more fuel in it would tick when revving in park

the reason I'm asking is I have a loud ticking now that sounds similar to what you have described. i was thinking it was an exhaust tick though.

nope its not the exhaust tick

lifters or fuel injectors

i don't think that revving in park would make the fuel injectors tick

the ECU is smart and would not waste so much gas when the engine is not under load

• 1 month later...

do you still have a copy of your video?

I think one of my injectors is dying now and Id like to compare it to what yours sounded like.

thanks

I also have some kind of ticking noise from mine, I mostly notice it when I'm on a flat straight road very lightly on the throttle. And the engine also sounds a bit different once you get above like 3500rpm. I'm fairly new to piston engines, besides my GSXR(motorcycle). Which doesn't quite count I don't think. My other car is an RX-7, no pistons. So maybe it's normal.

its definitely ticking from the injectors

i removed the video because its high pitched and a cheap camera mic cannot pick it up so it gets filtered out

many cars have those plastic covers there to silence things like this

it could be worn springs inside the injectors but its not really a problem mine has been doing this forever and so far there were no issues

screw this

Edited by Tungsten

• 1 year later...

Ok, I am going to revive this thread now.

:deadhorse:

The noise went away and came back and upon further investigation, it is not the fuel injectors either. It is not an exhaust leak and it is not a rod knock and that is confirmed. I rotated the distributor to 10 and 15 and everything in between. It really sounds like the ECU auto advances and over advances the timing. The engine spark knocks either because of the timing or because it is running super lean. I am thinking the ECU is blown now.

Here are some of the things I have done:

Timing Belt

Full Tune Up with Plugs, Wires, Cap, and Rotor (all genuine Nissan)

Headers with 300ZX turbo studs and Full Exhaust (leak tested)

Coolant Temp Sensor replaced

MAF sensor wiring fixed and MAF sensor cleaned

Oxygen Sensor replaced

BPT valve replaced

Basically name it and I probably have changed it...

I'm running out of ideas here. :scratchhead:

My EGR valve doesn't stick or leak. I can move the diaphragm up and down without issue and rev the engine when it's warm and feel it bounce.

An interesting observation though is upon playing with the distributor and putting in 93 octane gas, the spark knock has got a little quieter and reduced the range of rpms it happens in. Another weird thing that happened after playing with the spark plug timing is the engine now runs much cooler, stays around the 1/4 mark on the highway, and I can actually drive the temperature all the way down to the C mark if I go fast enough. The thermostat isn't very old so I doubt it failed and the temperature goes back up fairly quickly when I slow down. The last thing I noticed is that the truck starts much nicer than it did before. There is no longer any detonation on start up.

Here are my suspects which I am going to have to check now:

1. ECU for blown resistors

2. MAF sensor

3. Fuel injectors for flow rate

4. TPS (throttle position sensor) for dead spots or spikes

5. CAS (crank angle sensor) for rust

6. Head gaskets for breakage between the cylinder walls

Is there a way to see the actual data from the ECU other than the blinking lights thing?

I am losing my mind.

Edited by Tungsten

• 4 weeks later...

was it quiet when just cruising? as in, rpms are steady, but you dont have pressure on the accelerator.

I give up, I tried near everything. Double checked to make sure there are no leaks anywhere. Nothing ticks or clicks revving in neutral at all. I can rev all the way up to 6500 rpm and hit the rev limiter and nothing. My timing was set to perfect 15 BTDC by the marks and the balancer pulley is now in the correct position. Timing can't be off and I'm getting 20+ mpg on every fill. Barely audible when driving and it really comes on when the engine gets into peak load like going up a hill. I'm leaning toward worn injectors again. I still didn't try replacing the EGR valve but that seems to operate decently. It's a little rusty so it squeaks going up and down sometimes but other than that everything seems perfect. It's a stupid sound that I can't even catch in a video. I would say it's more of a fast clicking noise than spark knock too. It does not change frequency with RPM either. Just no idea... :suicide:

I give up, I tried near everything. Double checked to make sure there are no leaks anywhere. Nothing ticks or clicks revving in neutral at all. I can rev all the way up to 6500 rpm and hit the rev limiter and nothing. My timing was set to perfect 15 BTDC by the marks and the balancer pulley is now in the correct position. Timing can't be off and I'm getting 20+ mpg on every fill. Barely audible when driving and it really comes on when the engine gets into peak load like going up a hill. I'm leaning toward worn injectors again. I still didn't try replacing the EGR valve but that seems to operate decently. It's a little rusty so it squeaks going up and down sometimes but other than that everything seems perfect. It's a stupid sound that I can't even catch in a video. I would say it's more of a fast clicking noise than spark knock too. It does not change frequency with RPM either. Just no idea... :suicide:

did you ever try the screwdriver trick?