Temp Guage

pathydaddy

well im curious as too where all your needle on the temp guage usually sits at full temp? mine after a hour of driving or idleing for 30 min either way it never goes up very high (less than 1/8 inch) to me it doesnt seem right and the rad hoses and block and everything else that should get hot is only warm to the touch... any ideas?

well im curious as too where all your needle on the temp guage usually sits at full temp? mine after a hour of driving or idleing for 30 min either way it never goes up very high (less than 1/8 inch) to me it doesnt seem right and the rad hoses and block and everything else that should get hot is only warm to the touch... any ideas?

Sounds like a stuffed thermostat to me, have you had this looked at?

With the thermostat jammed in the open position as yours seems to be, the water does not get up to temp.

Sounds like a stuffed thermostat to me, have you had this looked at?

With the thermostat jammed in the open position as yours seems to be, the water does not get up to temp.

as i thought and was told by my mechanic buddy. now with that said saying that is the issue beings the water and engine not up to temp would that indicate that the ecm is getting the wrong signal via temp sensor causing it to run rich? thus engine mileage going to s***???

mine never seems to go more then 1/4-1/3 of the way. I bet its the thermostat. i changed that on my old pathfinder find becuase it never moved at all and wouldnt blow hot air and it made a huge difference.

Edited by edicer2

as i thought and was told by my mechanic buddy. now with that said saying that is the issue beings the water and engine not up to temp would that indicate that the ecm is getting the wrong signal via temp sensor causing it to run rich? thus engine mileage going to s***???

Well, arguably the ECU is getting the right signal for a wrong engine condition, but yes, in effect, this could cause a fuel rich scenario? Why, what is this sheit mileage you are speaking of?? Pull one of the easy to get to spark plugs and look to see what the (dis)coloration is...

B

When your engine is cold, the ECU tells the injectors to dump a bit of extra fuel to help warm up the engine. If you aren't really noticing terrible fuel mileage, then it could be the sending unit that drives the temp gauge. Get a cheap BBQ thermometer and stick it in the fins of the radiator near the upper hose to get an idea of the actual temp. At about 185degF, the needle should be almost half way up.

When your engine is cold, the ECU tells the injectors to dump a bit of extra fuel to help warm up the engine. If you aren't really noticing terrible fuel mileage, then it could be the sending unit that drives the temp gauge. Get a cheap BBQ thermometer and stick it in the fins of the radiator near the upper hose to get an idea of the actual temp. At about 185degF, the needle should be almost half way up.

thats how I set my e-fan, 177-180 was the 1/2 way mark on mine and my fan automatically keeps it close to 180

Edited by MY1PATH

im averaging about 10 miles a gallon... barely getting 200 miles to a full tank (21 gallon tank too) theres no ecu codes bein thrown 180k on the odo plugs wires and all that look good... im just goin after the cheap fixes first like thermostat then fuel filter then guy cats make sure there not plugged... we dont have DEQ here!!!!!! any other pointers?

Mine usually sits same place as ac92's post photo shows above and I drive a 1990 SE. Never goes any higher and I have great heat in the winter time. Only time mine ever went past the halfway mark was when I was hauling ass to to the beach here in SC and it was about 99 deg outside....I was doing about 85 mph.

I have to check my temp sensor connection every now and then though because a few years ago it started running really rich and was blowing black smoke out the tailpipe and my mechanic fiddled with the electrical connection/plug on the sensor and found it to be loose, he got it to fit better and problem was solved. With age of my ride, the plastic on the connector is pretty brittle so the clip doesnt always hold it on in place very tightly.

I doubt I could ever find a new connector so Im considering just cutting it off and splicing the wire and just solder it to the sensor permanently.

But yeah, typically my temp gauge is always around 1/4 of the way up or slightly less in cold weather.

Mine usually sits same place as ac92's post photo shows above and I drive a 1990 SE. Never goes any higher and I have great heat in the winter time. Only time mine ever went past the halfway mark was when I was hauling ass to to the beach here in SC and it was about 99 deg outside....I was doing about 85 mph.

I have to check my temp sensor connection every now and then though because a few years ago it started running really rich and was blowing black smoke out the tailpipe and my mechanic fiddled with the electrical connection/plug on the sensor and found it to be loose, he got it to fit better and problem was solved. With age of my ride, the plastic on the connector is pretty brittle so the clip doesnt always hold it on in place very tightly.

I doubt I could ever find a new connector so Im considering just cutting it off and splicing the wire and just solder it to the sensor permanently. .

But yeah, typically my temp gauge is always around 1/4 of the way up or slightly less in cold weather.

just go to a auto parts store and go to threr electricle isle and they have a regular fitting to fit that just get a insulated one