Strong Gas Smell

Yendor

I had the timing belt, water pump and a new rad put in last week. After that I would get the occasional gas smell in the cabin and I get a CEL that comes on and off at random. Though it seems to come on less now. Now today when I started it up for the drive home from work, I got a really strong gas smell in the cabin. When I got home, I checked under the hood and I couldn't see anything and all I could smell was gas.

Now is there anything that is touched when doing the timing belt, water pump and rad that would produce a gas smell and/or CEL? Since I didn't have these problems before, I'm thinking they missed something.

check your fuel line close to the distributor or somewhere in that area..theres a rubber fuel line there that connects to the injectors aluminum line...make sure the hose clamp is tight..this happened to me a few years back after I did my tbelt

especially on a cold day. Under the intake area, on top of the engine, there is a 3" or so piece of tubing that connects the injector rails. There are screw-type hose clamps on the end that will need to be tightened. Easy to spot if this is your 'leak' if you look at the ends of the hose when someone else fires up the truck. As soon as the engine warms up a little bit, the silly thing seals itself.

I had the same thing, minus the CEL, and it turned out to be the gas line under the passenger side to the rear of the front tire. The gas line (1997 pathfinder) runs there from the front to the tank but is shielded. Neither I or the mechanics could find the leak until it "popped" enough to start to drip (pour) onto the ground.

Thanks for all the tips. I finally found the leak tonight. It was hard to see, as the distributor cover is in the way. There is a rubber line about 4 inches long connecting the 2 fuel rails. The clamps were pretty loose and I could see gas dripping. I tightened both clamps up and took it for a drive. No gas smell!

Now I wonder if they had to take this line apart to do any of the timing belt, water pump or the crank and cam shaft seals. If so, the mechanic could have forgotten to tighten them. Also, would this fuel leak cause a cel?

pull your codes. It is possible that a significant leak would reduce the fuel pressure and potentially cause an intermittent fuel injector misfire or perhaps not enough fuel. I doubt any mechanic would have touched this when doing service other than cylinder head or fuel rail. This is a known and fairly common point of failure/leakage