What gears does my '92 XE have?

Slick

I was just wondering if anyone knew what gears the 1992 Pathfinder XE's have? I seen to shift a lot in town...40 mph in 4th? dang...so I was wondering what gears they have. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It has the 3.0 fuel injected 5 speed with 4wd. Thank you! :rolleyes:

You shouldn't lug around town in 5th gear, 5 th is an overdrive and with continued use will ruin the 5th gear cluster and syncro rings in the gearbox, better to use 4th around town,,, same applies to an auto however what happens to an auto if you lug around town in overdrive is the convertter splines will eventually strip out ..

note: this appliies to any make of vechicle and not just a Pathfinder

I DO NOT use 5th gear unless I am on the freeway doing at least 65mph....I previously posted that I use 4th gear at 40-45 mph...it just seems I have to change gears a lot at very low speeds..this is per a comparison to my Jeep..I could do 40 in 2nd or 3rd in my Jeep compared to my Nissy at 40-43 mph in 4th..at 2100rpm....is it MY Pathfinder or is this common in them? I have only had this Nissy a year now...but have done a lot of miles in her.... This is why asked what the gears are....I have never had a vehicle that requires so many gear changes in such a short speed range. Thank you for the o/d information though. Is 5th gear in ALL manual transmissions classed as overdrive? It does not act like a "common" overdrive in my Pathfinder....any information is greatly appreciated.

But as I said..I only use 5th when I am doin in excess of 65mph (on freeway). :)

I DO NOT use 5th gear unless I am on the freeway doing at least 65mph....I previously posted that I use 4th gear at 40-45 mph...it just seems I have to change gears a lot at very low speeds..this is per a comparison to my Jeep..I could do 40 in 2nd or 3rd in my Jeep compared to my Nissy at 40-43 mph in 4th..at 2100rpm....is it MY Pathfinder or is this common in them? I have only had this Nissy a year now...but have done a lot of miles in her.... This is why asked what the gears are....I have never had a vehicle that requires so many gear changes in such a short speed range. Thank you for the o/d information though. Is 5th gear in ALL manual transmissions classed as overdrive? It does not act like a "common" overdrive in my Pathfinder....any information is greatly appreciated.

But as I said..I only use 5th when I am doin in excess of 65mph (on freeway). :)

I know there's a car in Brazil, Fiat Siena 1.0 :eek: that has 6 gears, the O/D is the 6th :unsure: I dunno why do a 1.0L need 6 gears... ;)

LOL on the 1.0L car with 6 gears....can you say "shift-a-lot"?

I still have not had my actual question answered..but my boyfriend found it on another site. LOL. I am finding some interesting and cool stuff on this site though.

I definitely do not lug my Nissy...but she'll run 35mph in third @ 3,000rpm, 40-45 mph in 4th at 2,100-2,300rpm (3,500-3,700 in third), and 3,000rpm at 65 mph.

If I keep it at 3,200 or above she does NOT like it what-so-ever....and let's me know. I usually shift around 3,000-3,300rpm. She kicks like a mule after that. LOL

Great, reliable truck to have. I love it! -bounce-

Mine is A/T, so 4 gears.

That's a good question, I'm gonna check the speed / RPMs. Maybe if the O/D gears are similar, we can compare... :unsure:

I'm not sure, but I think it shifts around 3000 / 3500 rpms, in normal driving conditions - I mean when I'm not in a hurry and my foot is not so heavy :P

We found 2 sets of gears..but for the manual 5 speed... they were 4:37's...which would explain a LOT on the shifting all the time thing.

The rundown on my "shifting-to-speed ratio is this. 3rd gear @ 3,000rpm is 35mph.

4th gear @ 2,200rpm is 40-43mph (my speedo is broke..so i followed another car to get "common speeds) , 5th gear @ 3,000rpm is 65mph. I have never done over 70mph in her....she's my daily baby..though I do stick my foot in it occasionally..I definitely DO NOT drive like a grandma..lol

So..I think the gears I'm runnin are 4:37's.....no wonderrrrrrr........ :blink:

Hey Slick. First, remember that japanese motors are generally designed to run at higher RPM than american motors; partially due to smaller displacement, partially due to mentality. If you ran the Jeep and the Nissan at redline and held them there (all else being equal) I bet the Jeep would die long before the Nissan. Here is an easy compromise. My '95 XE came with 215/75/15 tires, it now has 10.5"x31" tires. First gear does not suffer much at all, while 5th will only maintain speed up a steep grade, if I want more power I shift to 4th, and due to the taller gearing from larger tire size, this is not a problem at freeway speeds (65 MPH here). I personally feel that the V6 works just fine with these tires; I have heard some complain about 'lack of power' but I dont try to win speed races with a 4000 LB SUV.... You could go 'half way' and mount 235/75/15 tires, never feel a difference in power, and cruise with less RPM. I think you get the point. Here is a handy tool that will give you all the info you need about this, and assuming you can operate a calculator, you have it made :P

http://secret-secret.com/turbo/DIY/tirecalc/turbotire.html

Bernard

LOL. I am capable with a calculator.. I am running 235/75/15 tires right now. I was hoping to go a bit bigger on my next set of tires, while not wanting to lose much more gas mileage or performance.

My Nissy is not trying to win any speed races either (thank god!) but she scoots when asked to.

I have the 3.0 VG30 motor with 5 spd manual tranny.

Who can I contact to see if my Nissy can have the header problem repaired?

Does/has anyone towed any kind of laod with their Nissy, and if so...how'd it do? We have a sand rail and a travel trailer we tow to Pismo, and I was wondering if I could safely tow the rail with the Nissy without killing her. The rail and trailer weight about 2,500-3,000 combined weights.

Any info on towing would be appreciated.

By the way...U guys are GREAT here! I really like your site! :clap::beer:

Hey Slick. Maybe 30" or even 31" tires are what you need next, but I'm sure you would feel it pulling 3000 LBS. While you do lose 'performance' unless you live in the mountains and/or have a lead foot, you should actually see slightly better gas milage (freeway miles) with slightly bigger tires although there is a point where this defeats its self. As for the towing, if your hitch is rated for it, and you have good springs in the rear I think you should be fine, but that is probably nearing the practical limit (speculation). Sand rail huh ? Is it VW driven ? I have a '65 VW Bug Baja Convert, and a '78 Superbeetle Convert that I am lowering/customizing. If you are running a VW sandrail this is a site trying to get their forum rolling http://www.allaircooled.com/ and a GOOD sister site http://www.SuperBeetles.com for VW know how. LOL, sorry about the plug... I'm blathering now, and only a mile off topic. ;)

Bernard

Yeah..I think 31's will be the biggest I go on the Nissy. Will they rub if I keep it stock? As I really do not want to lift it for my bf's mother's sake (she's in a wheel chair and I tow her around in it).

As for the sand rail..it is a home built on a Chevy Luv frame..with a Chevy 350. Here's a link to my profile albums with lot's of pictures of it.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slick8jeep/my_photos

Next year I convinced Dave (my bf) to let me race it...bugger is fast.

As for my suspension..I put in new shocks..and the springs look good. Though it doesn't take much to bounce a Nissy up n down I noticed..LOL..either that..or I REALLY need to lose some weight!

Has anyone had any problems towing? Maybe with the handling and such?

The rail weighs about 2,000lbs and the trailer about 600lbs. Would this be too dangerous a weight to tow?

And how do they brake under stress like that? there is only one BIG hill we have to go down...it's not real long..but it's pretty steep. (highway 101) going to Pismo..which is where I would tow the rail to from Manteca. (california)

The rest of the trip is not bad at all. THANKS!! :beer:

I've only towed upto 2000lbs when I was stock. It's easy to get going and up to speed, but it's the stopping you have to worry about and the 'pushing' in corners. If you have trailer brakes and use a lower gear descending down that hill I believe you should be ok - but...

31's will fit - they also come stock on Pathys. Mainly the SE's but alot of XE's came with 31's stock. If there is rubbing, then the torsion bars may have sagged and will require a few turns to level out the front.

Hey Slick. Mookie is right, there should be no rubbing/clearance issues with 10.5"x31" tires; Thats what I have on a basically stock 95. LOL, darn near shot beer out of my nose when I read that you 'tow' your disabled grandma around, you know what I mean... Thanks for the album link. Some really nice stuff to see, and yes, I believe that rail is FAST (probably TOO FAST) !! Keep having fun !!

Bernard

I towed a 16' boat with a 140hp outboard loaded camping with gear and 4 people over 2 passes on a 500 mile round trip. Probably 3000 lbs. extra. No problem. But yes, your brakes would be the weak point, although its not bad really. Just take it easy.

Thanks for all the great advice on the towing! I REALLY appreciate all your help on ALL my issues (I seem to have a lot huh?). You are the first site I have found that will actually HELP me...the others just think I'm retarded cuz I wasn't born with the knowledge of my Nissy (which I've only had 1 yr)..so, again, THANK YOU ALL :clap:

Umm..as for brakes..that was my concern. The trailer is a single axle, with nooooo brakes. I will only do about 55mph towing anyway..I am in no rush with the rail hangin off the back of my truck, and my bf will be behind with my 5,000lb travel trailer on the back of his 3/4 ton Chevy. If y'all saw the link..you saw his truck and the rail. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. Yes, the rail is fast..hehee. My bf had a moment of weakness and is letting me race it 2 or 3 times next year in stock modified (in the sand). Lookin forward to that!

So..basically..if I tread lightly..take care and don't do anything stupid..I "should" be ok? Just be careful on corners and hills?

I will make sure my brakes are real good or new b 4 we go.

Oh...does my Nissy have rear anti-lock brakes like the owners manual says? or was I reading wrong?

My stock size tires are 235/75/15 right now. I have the '92 4 door Pathfinder..not the 2 door, the 2 door I noticed has bigger tires and is taller as stock. :gossip:

They stopped making 2-doors in 1990. They all come from the factory the same height, but it's easy to lift it a little bit and make it seem taller. ;) If your Pathy has a manual tranny, it has 4.375:1 gears. If it has an auto tranny it has 4.625:1 gears. The transfer case is a 2.02:1 ratio in 4-LO. A 235/75/15 is approximately 28.8" tall, and 31's came on a lot of stock Pathfinders, yes. Your Pathfinder probably has rear antilock brakes, yes. Anything else? *grin*

Oh WOW! THANK YOU!!! That was great info! I didn't realize they stopped making the 2 door in 1990. Hmm... Yeah..we did some research and found the gears for my Nissy. Explains a lot on the shifting thing.

Hopefully the anti-lock brakes will help with towing the rail..god forbid I should not be able to stop! That would really suck to be me...

So basically..I am runnin a 29" tire right now...so I could stay with the 15" rim and go to a 29" or 31" tire with no problems? Or would a lift have to be installed? I need to keep it stock as my boyfriends mother is in a wheel chair and I take her to the doctor's in my Nissy..(only car with a/c!) so a lift is kinda outta the question..unless it's just a 2"..and if so..how much would that cost? -argue-

Oh WOW! THANK YOU!!! ...So basically..I am runnin a 29" tire right now...so I could stay with the 15" rim and go to a 29" or 31" tire with no problems? Or would a lift have to be installed?...

You can keep the 15'' rims.

Yes, you can go up to a 31" tire. (Remember, stock Pathfinders came with 31" tires as well as with the 28" tires so no lift required)

Since you have the 28"s you probably have the chrome 15x6 wheels as opposed to the 15x7 alum. wheels). You can put a 31x10.5 tire on it. You may experience premature center tire wear but most just run them with less psi to combat that) :beer:

:unsure: Yes..I have the 15x6 steel rims. Cool...I would like to put 31's on. That works 4 me! :D If I crank up the torsion bars...will it give me lift or just stiffen the ride?

I sent pictures to the mediator to apply for NPROA membership..but I sent an email with the pictures as I can only pay via money order...as I want to purchase stickers too.....soooo.... :unsure: -thnkboutit-

:unsure: Yes..I have the 15x6 steel rims. Cool...I would like to put 31's on. That works 4 me! :D If I crank up the torsion bars...will it give me lift or just stiffen the ride?

I sent pictures to the mediator to apply for NPROA membership..but I sent an email with the pictures as I can only pay via money order...as I want to purchase stickers too.....soooo.... :unsure: -thnkboutit-

Hi Slick,

Cranking the t-bars will raise the front end (if you want more info on this a quick search will provide more in depth information) and some notice a stiffer ride and others don't. Personally I'd leave the T-bars alone unless you are experiencing rubbing or you are nose down in appearance and want to level it out.

:D

Hmm..then maybe I'll just leave themalone as my Nissy sits straight. I put heavy duty shocks on hoping to stiffen the ride a bit..but it's still kinda soft for me..(hell, I'm used to my Jeep)...just thought there was a way to maybe stiffen the ride a bit..but I don't want the nose higher than the rear...that would look funny..LOL :hide:

• 2 weeks later...

i run the 15x7 alum and at the time for new tire purchase i didnt have the money for the 31x10.5 so i just downsized a little 30x9.5 if you are worried about low tire pressure and i believe that reduces mileage. if it gets that bad you could always go with the 30's. i like em.. just want some mt's once i get to MS.. im gonna put a 3.0 diesel in it. i think i can get a turbo on it.. and if it will fit i will put the 4.2 out of the patrol in it.. if i do convert to the diesel will all the electronics match up.. from the same year terrano.. ?