Trans/transfer Anomalies

wilson

so as of lately I've had of couple of strange things happening with my pathy.

1. occasionally she seems to have trouble shifting from first to second. this only happens from a dead stop shifting from 1st to 2nd. almost as if it is in power mode and it just shifts at a higher RPM.

2. occasionally when I back up and put her in drive,and apply some gas, It feels like it is in second instead of first. this only happens the first time I drive it of the day. It is cured by turning the truck off and restarting.

3.Lately, when she is shifted into drive it takes a teeny bit longer than normal for it to engage. I been driving this truck for 10 years. it is an extension of my body, I can detect very small changes, but it's there.

she's got 207,000 miles. I'm thinking about changing the trans and transfer case fluids and seeing what happens. the trans fluid has about 30,000 on it, but the transfer case is way over due.

tell me its not as bad as me thinks

wilson

Do you have an aftermarket cooler on the tranny? If not, do it ASAP, and then change the fluid. Have a shop do it, as they'll flush through 12-14L so that they're sure they got all the old fluid out.

I don't have one. and I'm not sure if I have the resources to do so right now.

the issue with the strange shift from 1st to 2nd has been happening for about a year and a half now. I would say it hasn't happened more than 8 times in that amount of time. i that means anything.

If the issue was a cooler clog and heat. Its seems like the damage is done. no?

Not necessarily. My fluid was quite brown when I bought my truck. An aftermarket cooler and fresh fluid, and she shifts like new, and has for the 2.5years I've owned it.

$80-$100 now for everything required to install a tranny cooler or maybe $500-800 for a used tranny...

The damage may not be done yet, waiting until something (sounds like the classic reverse) fails is a bad idea. You may have partially clogged passages or just severely degraded fluid. If it was my truck, I would not drive it until I put in a cooler and had the fluid flushed.

Simon and I have seen dozens members with auto tranny issues over the years, after a while you see a trend...

B

well I just got the trans flushed an refilled the transfer case myself (that sucked). the tranny was fairly dark,smelled a little funky but not really burnt, but the transfer case was absolutely disgusting. shameful really. alas, She's shifting like a dream! I'm interested to feel the cold start tomorrow. also I'm headed to the junkyard to see if I can get a deal on these explorer coolers. if not, Im gonna order a haynes cooler. anyone know the part number?

Good that you can notice the difference!!

As for the tranny cooler info, there are several threads on them, some quite recent. Search my friend, that's what I would have to do myself... ;)

B

well this morning she did the start in second thing! but it overall is much better. we shall see.

after some searching the external cooler looks like it is pretty straight forward.

While I got my tranny fluid flushed yesterday I got a good chance to jump in the pit and sus out the whole situation down there.

looks like you just replace the existing hoses with longer ones and run it to a cooler zip tied to the front of existing radiator.

I imagine I should seal the old ports in the stock cooler. I didn't see any good ideas for that though.

well this morning she did the start in second thing! but it overall is much better. we shall see.

after some searching the external cooler looks like it is pretty straight forward.

While I got my tranny fluid flushed yesterday I got a good chance to jump in the pit and sus out the whole situation down there.

looks like you just replace the existing hoses with longer ones and run it to a cooler zip tied to the front of existing radiator.

I imagine I should seal the old ports in the stock cooler. I didn't see any good ideas for that though.

If you restart the truck and it cures it, that sounds electrical.

Exactly.

Sealing the old ports can be done with a pipe fitting plug IIRC, Dr Bill did that in his thread. I used used a couple of short sections of rubber tube clamped on them and a dowel pin stuck in the end.

B

If you restart the truck and it cures it, that sounds electrical.

yes. you think I may have two issues going on here? I figure if the problem has been happening this long(1.5 years) the tranny would probably have failed my now. unless the computer is doing something strange. which I suppose wouldn't affect the mechanical functionality of the trans. I guess I'm going to learn to pull codes from this sucker!?

Edited by wilson

well its a good thing that after the trans flush and transfer case fluid change your truck stoped shifting like that. Bc my truck was having the same problem and then one day the trans went. mb i should have changed the fluid and got and after market cooler.

the thing is i had just bought the truck 3 months earlier and didnt know how long she had been shifting like that for...

so for sure after market cooler seems like a must do.

well its a good thing that after the trans flush and transfer case fluid change your truck stoped shifting like that. Bc my truck was having the same problem and then one day the trans went. mb i should have changed the fluid and got and after market cooler.

the thing is i had just bought the truck 3 months earlier and didnt know how long she had been shifting like that for...

So there was something wrong with it, and you didn't tell us before we went on the trip???

:stickwack:

BAD BRANDON!!!

well ,if it makes you feel better I'm not out of the woods yet. did your truck do all of these things? It seems the only symptom I have now is the starting in second gear fixed by restarting. did you have this? how would one start trouble shooting such a thing?

I'm proably not the best person for this advice but my rad is on it's 3rd truck(in my posesion, not including the donor) and is out of an automatic, I've only had it in manuel trucks and as for the transmission cooler ports... well There is a cut off rubber hose hanging from both of them and I never did a thign about them. I would say main priority would be the cooler before worrying about plugging the rad ports.

i never had the problem with starting in second..so i dont know if it might mean your tranny is going or not. explain y you think it might be starting 2nd is there no pick up??

well might help you take off in the snow less wheel spin...

explain y you think it might be starting 2nd is there no pick up??

exactly. if I just punch it she reaches third eventually

well might help you take off in the snow less wheel spin...

haha that may be, unfortunately I live in the desert... wanna trade?

Edited by wilson