Quick Question! Center Link, Lower Ball Joints

zeppelindrummer

Alright, so after lifting my new pathy, i've needed an alignment bad. I've been crazy busy with work and school, and haven't been able to get around to taking it in until a couple days ago. I brought it in, and they told me my lower ball joints, and center link needs to be replaced (or the center link needs to be bent).

when putting on my rough country UCAs i replaced the upper ball joints, and saw that i probably should do the lowers as well, but i didn't really feel like doing it.... bad idea.

anyway, mainly my question is about the center link. the guy at the shop said it's bent, and i could have "somebody" bend it back, but i don't really know what that entails. I searched for new center links and they seem to be runnin about 160. What do you guys think i should do? try and bend the old center link back, even though i really don't know what i would be doing? or just drop the bill and a half for the new one, or is there another option? Aftermarket stronger Center links? should i install a steering stabilizer while in there?

also, about the lower ball joint. anything i need to look out for? i've messed with the upper UCAs, and pretty much every other steering component a million times, but i've never touched the lowers on either of my pathys. will the torsion bar do anything when i unattach stuff, like the lower BJs, or is there a trick to anything?

thanks!

-Zepp

TK1 modded centerlink (www.grassroots4x4.com) and the lower BJs are a PITA from what I understand. You have to release the torsion bar (if you remove the LCA) and remove the CV shaft for clearance. While you are there, you may as well replace the LCA bushings, but they are such a pain to deal with some people buy new arms with the bushings installed...

B

You don't have to touch the torsion bars when doing the lower ball joints. Just remove the auto hub and snap ring so you can maneuver the CV around to get the BJ out. It helps to have a second person to lift the wheel hub.

Ok, sorry, I thought you had to release the torsion bar. Personally, I still would as that's a lot of pent up force to be dealing with and it will be easier to move the LCA around with out it. :shrug:

B

Thanks for the help guys. I'm tacklin this in between classes tomorrow, and i'll be drivin my old pathfinder until it's done. I never realized how truly horrible the brakes and clutch were in the old 87. haha.

anyway, i'll hopefully be able to at least finish the ball joints in my 5 hour break :wacko:

luckily the huge snow storm we had has already melted and it only finished snowing two days ago...

SDC10054.jpg

SDC10055.jpg

oh colorado :beer:

Crap!! 75+ and sunny here... Not rubb9ing it in, just pointing out how odd it is. As a sidewalk mechanic myself, I pay close attention to the weather too...

Good Luck.

B

haha, it was like that the day before the snow hit. Schools and business were closed for two days. :)

we had some fun in the snow

SDC10091.jpg

SDC10090.jpg

SDC10081.jpg

SDC10079.jpg

yeah B, the sidewalk mechanics work can be quite the problem when the weather likes to play tricks.

tomorrow is supposed to be around 50-60, so it's a little chillier than i'd like, but my sidewalk/gutter/street shop is nice and dry for the most part! haha

-Zepp

I want your snow :(

Dry here still....leaves are still falling, its horrible.

Dang. i missed fall. It was here for like two days. I never even raked once! we did though get a nice hailstorm that trashed my entire block. so... i raked green leaves! ha. heres a picture of that too!

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00493-1.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

pictures really make threads way easier to look at. haha, even if they are incredibly off topic.

sorry about that! ha :cheetos:

-Zepp