Hammer-Powered Impact Wrench?

OldSlowReliable

So with my UCA's comin in tomorrow (hopefully) I am starting to prep for the procedure, washing the spots ima work @, cleaning and organizing the garage, making a list of any tools or supplies I will need and so on....

So I was thinking about rust/bolt issues, and how I am going to conquer shock mount bolts and such, and I figured I would invest in some nice open end wrenches, and a very large pipe specifically for the side bolts on the UCA's and the shock mounting bolts....and since it was my birthday, I got a 15 dollar gift card to sears, so I figured i'd invest in some Craftsmen, cause they are really good tools that my family tends to frequent and have a good opinion of.....

I don't usually look into new tools, so i jumped on sears site and check out prices....HOLY CRAP.....guess I won't be a craftsmen guy! HF and Wallymart it is!!! But i found an interesting tool-

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...ols#reviewsWrap

From the reviews ive read and some blog thing, this seems like a highly-appreciated tool, and i figure for less money than a set of metric wrenches, its worth a shot right?

What do you guys think? Its relatively cheap, and if it works, it will save me TONS of time and energy, with one hammer smack, this will deliver as much torque as me practically sitting on a wrench......and figure with the little energy it takes to swing a hammer, figure 3 or 4 times max per bolt and im smooth sailin...

PS. What size are the bolts on the UCA's, Shocks, and panhard bar stuff? Gotta buy a set of impact sockets if i get these

This is impact screwdriver, not a wrench...

not from what i've read, it has the ABILITY to be used for screws, but as you can see, the primary attachment is a 1/2" drive, and several of the reviews state "easily removes bolts" and this reviews states bolts also, they just supply the screwdriver attachments because i don't think you CAN buy impact-safe screwdriver bits...

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000723.php

Edited by OldSlowReliable

My old front end nuts/bolts with 22 years of attachment time on them broke loose with nothing more than a 1/2" drive socket and a bar over the handle, which most of the time wasn't even necessary. The penetrating oil you use will be key for removing the sticky ones. ;)

I have used them and have one in my tool box. They have their uses, but are light duty only. Remember, you have to hold it to keep it from rotating; got really strong hands?? ;)

I use the 1/2" drive breaker bar, the electric impact gun and the pneumatic impact gun far more often.

B

there was something the guy in the article said about this reducing the likelyhood of broken bolts because it just 'hits' them momentarily, which was my main reason because the last thing I want is a stripped/broken bolt on my UCA... :S

Idk, I think I may try to grab a torque wrench or the breaker bar after a night of thinking about it

Yes, they can, due to the momentary torque and the impact. They have their uses, like I said. What you can do is ring the bolts (strike squarely a few times with a hammer), this can break loose corrosion and then soak the bolts with a penetrating oil such as liquid wrench, PB Blaster, Kroil, etc several times over a few days. This will probably do more to reduce the chance of breakage than the impact driver. You will occasionally come across the bolt that will not come out without breaking no matter what you do. :shrug:

B

Start spraying it with PB Blaster or your prefered penetrating oil ahead of time and do it a couple times

a torch MAPP or Propane works magic also

for what your doing the hammer impact is not going to work

There was a wise $1 upgrade unless you like havign sockets shatter(it sucks for those who haven't). Think though how usefull that cordless one will be at a junkyard :aok:

Im actually considering returning it and buying this corded one that goes up to 240 ft/lbs for another 20 bucks........im not entirely sure this one will get the job done @ 150 ft lbs....

Gonna try to remove a lower shock bolt on my rear axle tomorrow after the battery charges, and that will dictate whether I return or keep....

in the aerospace world they're known as woodpeckers...they work AWESOME...it uses a rivet gun and a wrench to turn the attachment...

stylespilotshop_2073_668125875.jpg

http://www.skygeek.com/ats-at540b.html

I used one on a pylon that all the screw heads were stripped out...hit it a few times with the 4x gun and a turn and it came loose

That unit is a bit different than what he was talking about... ;)

grabbed a cordless electric impact wrench that goes up to 150ft lbs...........wish i woulda seen the corded one that goes up to 240 for only 20 bucks more......

I have the corded one. Seems to work fine the 6 times it's been plugged in, but it is large; you need room to use it!!

Think though how usefull that cordless one will be at a junkyard

Smaller form factor and cordless is a major plus!!!

im not entirely sure this one will get the job done @ 150 ft lbs....

Torque a bolt to 150 ft/lbs (if you can) and then break it loose (bet you cant). It might not sound like much, but it ain't chicken scratch!! The bright side is that it will probably loosen bolts and spin them free rather than shearing them. More is not always better!! Save a few pennies and get both, it's not like you won't use them... ;)

B

That unit is a bit different than what he was talking about... wink.gif

yea but it kicks ass...I thought we were screwed on this project until i was introduced to the "woodpecker" and there were screw heads that were non existent and it got them out I don't think there has been a bolt on a pathy I couldnt break with a 1/2" drive and/or a breaker bar...i've broken some bolts before but haven't run into any that didnt break loose

Went to HF to grab the hammer thing, breaker bar, metric 1/2" sockets, and look around....

Ditched the hammer thing, and grabbed a cordless electric impact wrench that goes up to 150ft lbs...........wish i woulda seen the corded one that goes up to 240 for only 20 bucks more......gonna charge it up and see if it will even do its job...hope it does..

Swapped the 8.99 non-impact sockets for 9.99 impact-safe sockets.....

150 ft/lbs should be plenty. For reference, the lug nuts holding our wheels to our vehicles are torqued at 96 ft/lbs and various suspension pieces are torqued at 100-120 ft/lbs. ;)

You'll love it at the JY. Strongly suggest getting an impact-safe extension and a universal joint. The former will allow you to get at bolts easily. The latter will allow you to rotate the socket - perfect for those annoying weirdo angles.

150 ft/lbs should be plenty. For reference, the lug nuts holding our wheels to our vehicles are torqued at 96 ft/lbs and various suspension pieces are torqued at 100-120 ft/lbs. ;)

You'll love it at the JY. Strongly suggest getting an impact-safe extension and a universal joint. The former will allow you to get at bolts easily. The latter will allow you to rotate the socket - perfect for those annoying weirdo angles.

Around here I haven't really seen a 'pick n pull' style JY, so I think I can live w/o cordless if I gotta....

I didn't see any U joint things, but i'll def look, especially if i go with the corded one, I can forsee some tight spots

Primary tests-

Cordless one was AMAZING for removing lug nuts on my tire carrier, but wouldn't budge my rear lower shock mount bolts.....rust was too much for it i guess?

Another 90 ft lbs should help it that much more......

Returned.

After I went out with my 25" breaker bar and tested it on the shock bolt that that the impact wouldn't budge, and it only took about 6" of travel and barely any force (no big rust breaking feeling, perfectly smooth movement) I told myself that the impact obviously was not serving a purpose when I could hold it on the shock bolt for a good 20 seconds and NOTHING happen, and 3 seconds with the bar and its off easy.....

I thought it had tightened down my spare tire plenty......the weight of the breaker bar practically loosened it on its own....

So thats 62 bucks back in my pocket, and i'll head back this weekend to see if they have the torque wrenches cheaper than 13 bucks, and look for a couple other little items

Basically, don't buy the cordless impacts from HF unless you just wanna change tires (which they do great at btw)

i'll head back this weekend to see if they have the torque wrenches cheaper than 13 bucks

Just a word of advice from someone who has used them for decades. Don't trust a "cheaper than 13 bucks" torque wrench. This is one area that it is not worth fooling around with. My first torque wrench, a Craftsman digital lasted almost 20 years and some of that was daily use. I had it rebuilt once when the handle slipped (digital window moves) and it recently did it again so I bought another to calibrate it with and will fix it myself. The latest was an Armstrong for $130 (which is a more simple and durable design) and the old one was $90 about 20 years ago. I fully expect not to have to buy another in my lifetime.

Get a good torque wrench and simply treat it well. It will be worth the $ and last a LONG time.

Here is the one I bought having used them at work for years, best bang for buck in my book.

https://www.armstrongtools.com/catalog/prod...jsp?groupID=914

#64-046

B

x2. I've broken multiple POS cheap Harbor Freight torque wrenches. You'll end up spending more in replacing the cheap one then just buying one good wrench. And you'll save yourself the hassle.

Just a word of advice from someone who has used them for decades. Don't trust a "cheaper than 13 bucks" torque wrench. This is one area that it is not worth fooling around with. My first torque wrench, a Craftsman digital lasted almost 20 years and some of that was daily use. I had it rebuilt once when the handle slipped (digital window moves) and it recently did it again so I bought another to calibrate it with and will fix it myself. The latest was an Armstrong for $130 (which is a more simple and durable design) and the old one was $90 about 20 years ago. I fully expect not to have to buy another in my lifetime.

Get a good torque wrench and simply treat it well. It will be worth the $ and last a LONG time.

Here is the one I bought having used them at work for years, best bang for buck in my book.

#64-046

B

Yeah...its just a little hard for me to warrant that kind of money with how little I will use it, and in about a year I will be off to college.... I'll see how things go $ wise

Yeah...its just a little hard for me to warrant that kind of money with how little I will use it, and in about a year I will be off to college.... I'll see how things go $ wise

Fair enough, but will you really stop working on cars/machinery?? Yeah, it's a few $'s and I have been there, so can you just borrow one??

*doesn't trust a $13 torque wrench*

B

#64-046

B

And Precise tell us how you make your torque wrench last so long? Oh yeah. now I remember DON'T ever use it as a breaker bar!

I wouldn't say that's true...my step dad has an old Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench that he's had for 20+ years that he uses the sh!t out of including regular breaker bar duties and it still works perfectly.

However my dad has a POS one that doesn't work anymore because he used it as a breaker bar.

Edited by Kingman