OMG SWITCHES

Tungsten

First of all, I have the 91 flat dash...

Anyway I replaced the cruise control switch because my old one was busted and I took the old one apart. I noticed that there is a little bulb in it. Is the a bulb inside every switch then?! Mine are all burned out! Taking the switches apart is a disaster too since they are so brittle. They all have the micro lamps right?

First of all, I have the 91 flat dash...

Anyway I replaced the cruise control switch because my old one was busted and I took the old one apart. I noticed that there is a little bulb in it. Is the a bulb inside every switch then?! Mine are all burned out! Taking the switches apart is a disaster too since they are so brittle. They all have the micro lamps right?

Yeah they do. A few of mine are burnt. Good luck finding replacements.

Really, the J-yards could care less about switches, they just charge you for them because they can, if you don't buy it (or pocket it), it nets them no money when they actually crush and scrap the vehicle if the switches are in it.

The one yard I go to charges a $1 admittion fee, so I always pocket my $1 worth at least, and that is usually fuses, or a relay or 2 or a fog light switch, etc.

The switches are fine, its just that the little bulbs inside them are all burnt. Ill see maybe I can fix them without breaking them. Save them for someone who might really need them. :) Unless I break mine trying to repair... lol

Edited by Tungsten

• 1 month later...

Ok so I went out to RadioShack and got those 60ma 12v micro lamps. I decided to ditch the LED idea because its a mess to get the resistors to fit. The lamps I got are rated for 10,000 hours so I think thats plenty of time. I figure 2 hours a day use will make them last around 14 years.

So far I replaced (carefully) the bulbs inside these:

Cruise Control

Timer (Defroster)

Hazard Flash

E-AT/Power

Also I took the ones on the bottom apart and noticed some did not even have bulbs in them. That was very surprising... For example, I took the wiper one apart and did not find a bulb (probably means its not meant to be backlit).

The E-AT switch has a bulb inside but that is only for indicating that its on.

After I finish with all of them, Ill probably post a how to video for one of these so you guys can replace them if you need to.

Also, can someone with a working dashboard tell me which switches are or are not meant to be backlit?

Edited by Tungsten