Subs in rear hatch?

Tsingson

dont do it it will fall apart most likly from opening and closeing if anything make a figerglass box and mold it to the side panel behind the wheel well(oneo n each side)

or even just plywood and carpet would look fine in that spot....someone did something similar to that but I think it was in an R50

yeah in the hatch wouldn't be as good of an idea. It'd be fine for a while. But over time I think it'd eventually mess them up. Not to mention having to run wires and worry about the internals of the liftgate.

Although it'd be pretty cool to have one of those fold down speaker things like the Dodge Caliber has lol.

also didn't the rear speakers in the early WD21's have some kind of floating thing over the rear wheel wells? I saw one yesterday and thought it looks... different.

yeah in the hatch wouldn't be as good of an idea. It'd be fine for a while. But over time I think it'd eventually mess them up. Not to mention having to run wires and worry about the internals of the liftgate.

Although it'd be pretty cool to have one of those fold down speaker things like the Dodge Caliber has lol.

also didn't the rear speakers in the early WD21's have some kind of floating thing over the rear wheel wells? I saw one yesterday and thought it looks... different.

I got those, but they hold 6x9's...and sometimes I wish I didn't have them......they get in the way frequently

I got those, but they hold 6x9's...and sometimes I wish I didn't have them......they get in the way frequently

yeah I can see where they'd be quite the pain. Not to mention I imagine 15+ year old plastic isn't what it used to be. Luckily mine are in the headliner. Although I was confused at first cause I saw no speakers but heard sound. Then I looked up and realized they were there lol.

Just wondering if anyone has ever mounted small subs into the rear hatch? I was thinking of trying it with maybe a couple of 8" subs. im not looking for any huge bass but just some bass presense.

Imagine the headache when the weight of the hatch AND a pair of subs give in to gravity...

Yes a small sub in the rear hatch WILL work out fine with no problems and WILL last a very long time, so long as you install it correctly and use some wood for bracing behind the plastic panel.

or even just plywood and carpet would look fine in that spot....someone did something similar to that but I think it was in an R50

Never use that for any kind of speaker enclosure/mount. That is unless you LIKE the sound of the plys vibrating apart....

MDF is the best material. I would just make a piece that replaces the plastic cover on the hatch. FYI, if you have a wiper, you won't have room to fit the magnet in the door on the passenger side, and if you have power glass and door latches you won't fit one on the driver's side. I measured mine out once and since I have manual latches I have a void on the driver's side perfect for an 8".

• 2 weeks later...

You mean this?

It's actually MDF. Pretty much just make a regular box but extend the front and side pieces down to the floor.

post-253-1254464841_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't suggest it. I had a pair of 6X9's mounted back there and the weight overloaded the struts. They sounded :ill: and a few months after putting them in one of the cones came apart (No more bass from that speaker)

Rip the back seats out and put 4 15's in :aok:

:lol: