Starting My AT to MT swap

beastpath

turns out its not the hose after all, but a gasket that is on the piping connected to the hose. so regardless im going to have to take the manifold off. may as well replace the hose too while im in there.

• 2 weeks later...

It is FINISHED.

I actually got it done the other day, but wanted to test drive her a few times in case something went wrong and I had to do it all over again.

Nothing did though, and I now have a 5 speed! Redline MT90 in both transfer case and tranny. Shifts great even though I'm not very good at driving a stick yet.

While I was in there I ended up replacing 4 of my lifters on the passenger side - which completely got rid of my lifter tick, I replaced all the screws for the head covers with bolts, replaced the leaking bypass hose - which has completely solved my overheating issue, and did the mean grean alt install, and mounted the taurus fan properly (no more plastic mount things).

Just a couple of loose ends left to tie off: need some new breather hose for the tranny as the old one cracked apart, need to mount the clutch floor stop bracket so I dont push it all the way to the firewall when shifting, then need to run the interlock lines to a switch on this JIC someone were to try to start the truck without depressing the clutch (might run a kill switch on the dash too), and need to replace the BRAND NEW clutch slave cylinder as the bleed screw broke off when I tried to tighten it.

Oh, and of course re-do the UCA's (again...will be my 3rd time changing them haha) and get an alignment.

I couldn't have done it without all you guys. Special thanks go out to Sammyb33, unccpathfinder, and especially KovemaN who helped me pull the JY tranny and the dead auto tranny.

Write up with pics soon to come.

It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that a Pathfinder with a dead auto tranny can be resurrected and converted to a 5-speed without having to spend a fortune.

I just so happen to have a new spare clutch slave that I got from RockAuto for $5.74. I'm sure that the bleed screw can be extracted from yours without too much hassle. I'm sure I have some silicon hose laying around for a breather too.

I can't wait to see that truck now that she's running again.

• Like 1

It is FINISHED.

I actually got it done the other day, but wanted to test drive her a few times in case something went wrong and I had to do it all over again.

No fair!!! Your supposed to call finished BEFORE you test drive and complain every other day when something else pops up and call finished after every other repair!(talking from experience? you decide)

Congrats on gettin it done man :beer: enjoy having the corect number of pedals under the dash!

that include working on the tranny itself?

what do you mean? as in labor?

No fair!!! Your supposed to call finished BEFORE you test drive and complain every other day when something else pops up and call finished after every other repair!(talking from experience? you decide)

Congrats on gettin it done man :beer: enjoy having the corect number of pedals under the dash!

Hey thanks! I have plenty of other things to complain about every other day haha.

Its cool having the MT in there, but its still a bit weird after knowing it as an auto for 10 years. lol

Like, clutch, resurfacing, and all of it

Basically, how much did you spend over the course of time

around 500 including everything transmission related.

I got the trans/transfer case + accessories for about 250, the clutch kit and resurfacing was about 180, fluids/seals/miscellaneous other pieces were the rest.

• 5 years later...

Hey Beastpath, I know you did this tranny swap a long time ago, but I have a question. Did you end up using the trasfer case off of your automatic? Was it a straight across swap or does it require changing output shaft or any thing like that? Thanks for your answer.

• 3 weeks later...

Patsy,

In my tranny swap thread, I reference a pirate 4x4 forum post that shows the differences between auto and 5 speed transfer cases. The only difference between the two is the 5 speed tx10 has an oil catch under the input shaft. The consensus was that you can use an auto tx10 on a 5 speed, but not a MT tx10 on an automatic, without grinding off the oil catch.

I am using my original auto tx10 with my manual transmission.