Subframe drop for R50

shift220

is the rear supposed to be 2 inches shorter? both of your guys rigs are doing that now

I will get out a tape and measure when i get a chance, im feeling alot better so I should be able to get out and start taking pics and working on a drop pan hard. Since I looked my axle is being push and as a result with my larger tires (11.5 wide) my tire rubs on the side of the shock when I flex out the axle....soooo thats the next thing to fix. My rear spacers btw only measured around 3in

Well, I definitely don't have "2 inches" of rake. I put a level on my sliders this morning and it's extremely close to level. That's all I wanted from my $18 spacers I put on the back...these were only meant to buy me time to save for custom springs/longer shocks. I'll definitely take the way it sits right now - especially gaining some extra room for the 33's out back.

My garage slopes slightly towards the driveway which automatically places the front of my rig higher than the rear, so considering where the bubble sits, I think I did pretty well:

2010-11-13_14-54-07_518.jpg

2010-11-13_14-53-05_2.jpg

Edited by Rick13

Just put in Andrew's SFD kit--absolutely awesome, can't wait until my 33s come in! Did any of you extend the drop-downs for your rear sway bar? Or just disconnect it? Or neither.....

Quite a list! :aok:

I'm going the one-time route with my install. I've learned piecing things together lead to problems so I'm going to get everything I need first, and then install it all at once. I'm hoping spring 2011.

That's what I'm doing too. I bought my complete SFD kit with steering parts, extended SS brake lines and all from Andrew/shift220 but just need to make the rear spring spacers and then I'm set. The big thing I'm waiting on is $$ for new tires.

Question on tire size. I can't decide if I should get the 285/?/16's or the 305/?/16's. They both measure out to be 33.1 inches in diameter. The 305 is just obviously wider. I'm getting the BFG M/T KM2s. Do you guys think the 305s will even fit?

Kevin

Sweet man, ill update the list. Be sure to post of pics of your truck when you do that lift!! I love to see other rigs with the same kinda setup.

And if you ever need any help with your install just PM me and ill send you my cell number that you can call me at if you have questions...same goes for everyone who is installing this lift. I know it can seem overwhelming but its not all that difficult

Thanks for the offer! You can count on hearing from me when the time comes. Probably January or so.

Edited by Adventure51

That's what I'm doing too. I bought my complete SFD kit with steering parts, extended SS brake lines and all from Andrew/shift220 but just need to make the rear spring spacers and then I'm set. The big thing I'm waiting on is $$ for new tires.

Question on tire size. I can't decide if I should get the 285/?/16's or the 305/?/16's. They both measure out to be 33.1 inches in diameter. The 305 is just obviously wider. I'm getting the BFG M/T KM2s. Do you guys think the 305s will even fit?

Kevin

How can I reach Andrew? I want to purchase that SFD kit right away?

Just a small update for my build. New shoes:

2010-11-20_16-24-35_480.jpg

GoodYear DuraTracs 285/75/16 (32.8")

*Barely clears the strut coil perch (16x8 rim w/3.75" bs)

I'll take better photos tomorrow when I'm out/about, but it honestly looks like a totally different rig now.

Need MOAR PIX!!!

Okay so I know that some of yall asked for fender measurements awhile back and I finally got around to taking some tonight when I was bored so here is what I came up with in terms of numbers...keep in mind that this is a 6.5in lift up front and around 5 or so in the back on around a 32in tire

Ground to bottom of subframe- 16 Inches

Ground to bottom of front fender flare (fender measurement)- 42 Inches

Ground to bottom of rear fender flare- 40 Inches

Ground to bottom of doors- 25 1/2 Inches

Ground to bottom of trailer hitch- 22 Inches

Ground to bottom of front bumper plastic in the middle- 22 Inches

Kevin

how wide are your wheels? if they're stock wheels, 305 isn't going to happen and 285 is stretching it because IIRC, the minimum wheel width you should have for a 285 tire is 7.5" and the stock 16" wheels are 7" wide.

Edited by edwinsyip

how wide are your wheels? if they're stock wheels, 305 isn't going to happen and 285 is stretching it because IIRC, the minimum wheel width you should have for a 285 tire is 7.5" and the stock 16" wheels are 7" wide.

I'm planning on buying steel 16x8 wheels. My truck should look almost just like Rick13's. I have the same color blue but my bumpers and fender flairs are dark grey. And of course slightly larger tires if I can get them to fit. I might be getting the money needed to purchase the wheels, tires, and get the rears coil spacers made this week!!! I know what I'm doing over Christmas break!!!

Edit: Have you been able to flex out and see if you have issues with clearance or not?

I put my passenger rear tire on tall parking stop at work. I got the tire very close to the flair/wheel well, but it look like with some real flexing that the wheels will track at an angle towards the back of the rig and clear everything.

I guess I can now call my rig:

mallrated4x4.jpg

My truck should look almost just like Rick13's.

My friends have nick named her the "blue beauty" cause it's not a typical color R50. It'll be good to have 2 of us out there!

if you can, can you take a picture of the truck from the front and from the back? i want to see how much the 11.5 wide tires stick out with 3.75 backspaced wheels. looks GREAT though!

Thanks. I'll take photos this weekend - the weather is supposed to be sunny and warmer Friday/Saturday. The tires stick out what I consider a healthy distance (one that is good for being able to view what your tire is doing while on a trail, but not so much that it becomes a ticket worthy to a cop):

2010-11-24_19-33-12_550.jpg2010-11-24_19-33-20_566.jpg2010-11-24_19-33-32_559.jpg

Again, I'll take more of the whole thing this weekend.

• 4 months later...

So I am curious, has anyone tried to do the sfd install but instead of the 4" block in front finding a strut and coil setup that would work?

The reason I ask is I really like the look of the 4" sfd lift but would prefer to have spring in the front instead of block just just like on the back with the WJ coils. I haven't seen or read anything about someone doing this.

Possible to do the 2" AC coils in the front and then a 2" spacer? Wouldn't this be better than just all spacer?

I don't think you can push down on the a-arms that much it's hard enough with a 1" spacer. The cv's could not take that much angle it would bind them. To lift any IFS truck more than a couple inches you need some type of sub frame drop to keep everything lined up properly.