Subframe drop for R50

shift220

What do you mean properly made? I have camber bolts now to correct my alignment and its out of alignment now has been for awhile lol. What can make you have a bad kit im guessing something with the strut spacers

Good to see so many people modifying their rides, I personally LOVE my SFD and thanks Andrew for hooking me up with it; I trust his work and have definitly put the SFD to the test with some crazy wheeling and it held up. I am however already starting to do research on my next project which will probably take a little longer and more saving up but I want a SAS! I am in the beginning stages of doing research just like I was a year ago when I found out about the SFD, but I am definitly enjoying my lift the way it is and can't wait to start modifying more. I love customizing my pathy and knowing that you did it all yourself and it will hold up to some abuse is even a better feeling.

A properly made SFD kit will not need camber bolts. So if he doesn't have them now, he shouldn't need them after.

Just installing the AC lift springs alone needs camber adjustment afterwards. I guess if you made the SFD using stock height springs it would work, but I think most people are using the 2" AC coils + the 4" SFD aren't they? At least that's what I'm using.

Just installing the AC lift springs alone needs camber adjustment afterwards. I guess if you made the SFD using stock height springs it would work, but I think most people are using the 2" AC coils + the 4" SFD aren't they? At least that's what I'm using.

I think a lot are using the AC springs in combo with the SFD. I myself just used the stock springs for a 4" lift.

I say properly made because the strut spacers have to offset to correct the angles for both caster and camber. If this is done then there shouldn't be a need for camber bolts. Yea, you will need camber bolts with the front lift springs regardless of a SFD or not. One could actually design the strut spacers for additional offset when using lift springs and eliminate the need for camber bolts. I don't think the spacer would clear the body though!

If it was legal to weld on the body and frame here in the UAE i would have welded my blocks in with small welds. I also would have test driven my spacers for a week or so and then weld in steel braces from the bottom of the strut spacer into the body at different angles around the spacer. I really wish I could do that now but its against the law here, it would help the body handle the off angle stress that the spacers produce. A colleague of mine who rallies a pathfinder did a jump that pushed his racing coil-over up through the body and folded it in toward the engine. I don't drive my pathy like that but its just to say that those strut mounts are not overly strong.

Here is a little of what he did to correct the problem. These braces were added after he already reinforced the mounts with a second layer of metal. And the braces are welded to the pathys full role cage.

IMG_7589_2.jpg

IMG_7590_1.jpg

Its not pretty but it also wasn't finished. I didn't get any other photos and the car was sold a week later to a guy from Saudi Arabia.

I am also planing a 10-12mm solid aluminum bash plate to add some extra strength to the sub-frame. I just need to find the aluminum.

Edited by DanAK

It was basically the start of an engine cage for a pathfinder, but it is limited by the class of racing the guy dose. Anyway I am just saying that the strut mounting location is not the strongest in the world and that bracing the strut spacers to the body might help even out the stress. Most of us probably are not ready to put in roll cages and engine cages, I would love to but I can't.

Oh! and by the way a pathfinder came in second this year in the UAE Desert Challenge (a five day desert race) driven by the french team.

Always one upping me.....damn you :deadhorse:

No way man. This would be the first time. And besides, you're the one rockin' 33's...

This is funny. A local radio station made a song about "Goons". Haha.

Jose

:rofl:

• 4 months later...

I want some pics too!!!

this thread is awesome guys, might just start to love my R50 more than my WD21 (shhhhhhhhh don't tell the other guys that)

Definitely considering an SFD within the next year

For now, I'll just have to hope and pray the 33"s fit off my old truck on to this one without too much screwing around with just AC 2" lift

I want some pics too!!!

this thread is awesome guys, might just start to love my R50 more than my WD21 (shhhhhhhhh don't tell the other guys that)

Definitely considering an SFD within the next year

For now, I'll just have to hope and pray the 33"s fit off my old truck on to this one without too much screwing around with just AC 2" lift

Your just down the trail from me... I'll keep an eye out for you, but I'll warn you, if you see my R50 with the SFD, you might get the bug ;)

I thought I had posted up at lunch today...but maybe it didn't go through?

I started my install yesterday and got all the spacers/strut towers installed and buttoned back together (weird seeing my baby all torn apart). Thank goodness Thunderbolt offered to help me out...

2010-10-03_15-13-17_359.jpg

Still have to figure out the steering linkage piece...I'm slightly car-tarded so this is quite a feat for me...

I'll post some before/after photos within the week (after new tires, rear coil spacer, front wheel spacer, and an alignment...).