Subframe drop for R50

shift220

Truck looks great! :aok:

With the 35's how's the get up and go and cruise speed on the highway? Just wondering because I'm debating between 33" or 35" Toyo M/T but I'm on the highway a lot so I don't know if I want to go as big as 35". :scratchhead:

BTW, how are the custom coils?

Haven't had the 35's on the hwy.. but I do about 60 on the roads here with them with no problems... pick-up is about the same as it was. I'll know more about my set-up after next weekend, first 4x4 weekend of the year!

Werd! :beer:

I'm planning on going with the same coils (coilsprings.com) but with 1.5" + 4" SFD, with a custom set-up for the rear. I want monster flex! :lol:

I'm hoping to run 33x12.5 tires on a 15x8 wheel with 4" BS. Should that be enough to clear the struts?

Edited by tekazgtr1984

No man, you're gonna want more Backspacing. before I got the SFD I tried my buddies 33's. Not sure what backspacing he has on his wheels, but it wasn't enough to clear the strut. You're gonna want at LEAST 3.75. I'd say even more if you can get it. 3.5 or 3.25 even. I know 3.25 would have been perfect with the 35's. But I'd need some flares to help cover the extra tire sticking out the side hahaha

Longer lugs are from my local speed shop (12mm 1.25 thread pitch, 13mm knurl ,52mm long) I believe they're from Sparco? I had a half inch spacer made out of aluminum. This method is WAY stronger then the adapter method. Obviously a different Back spaced wheel would be stronger, but this way is safe for the abuse I put the truck through. and I'm doing it on the back as well, just to keep the symmetry of the truck the same(not like half an inch is even noticeable).

Longer lugs are from my local speed shop (12mm 1.25 thread pitch, 13mm knurl ,52mm long) I believe they're from Sparco? I had a half inch spacer made out of aluminum. This method is WAY stronger then the adapter method. Obviously a different Back spaced wheel would be stronger, but this way is safe for the abuse I put the truck through. and I'm doing it on the back as well, just to keep the symmetry of the truck the same(not like half an inch is even noticeable).

How hard was it to replace them, what does it involve and how long did it take?

You're going to have rake like a mother effer

No, I won't. 5.5" lift all around; just the rear is gonna be custom. :togo:

No man, you're gonna want more Backspacing. before I got the SFD I tried my buddies 33's. Not sure what backspacing he has on his wheels, but it wasn't enough to clear the strut. You're gonna want at LEAST 3.75. I'd say even more if you can get it. 3.5 or 3.25 even. I know 3.25 would have been perfect with the 35's. But I'd need some flares to help cover the extra tire sticking out the side hahaha

Okay, I had a feeling 4" BS wouldn't be sufficient. Hard to find a decent 15x8 wheel with 3.25" BS... :shrug:

Well right now I have 31x10.5 Mud Terrains and they are about 1" away from my struts; I just went out and got 33x13.5 after putting in my SFD and when I test fitted them they were a good 1/2"-1" under my strut so if I bottomed out the strut would hit the tire. So how much of a spacer would I need and do I have to do some more trimming to get these puppies to turn? And with the 31's on the rear I can stuff them all the way into the wheel well no problem, I don't think I can with the 33s because they are to wide.... Plus if I put spacers on the front I am going to do the rear also to keep the simitry even; so that is going to push them out more........ What to do????

If you're a half inch away from the strut now.. why would you get any closer at any other time? Your wheels don't flex, your spring and strut does. The only movement you should have is your tire distortion where the tire meets the ground.

:goodpost:

lol

The distance between the lower spring pocket on the strut and the spindle mount is fixed. It will never change. If the tire clears the strut at normal height, it will be the exact same distance at all times during front suspension travel.

Edited by morpheus

Thanks!

I didn't replace the links in the back, but I will sometime in the future. The bushings are very soft and I can easily move the bars with my hands. I will probably make some adjustable ones to get the pinion angle back in spec.

You will need a new brake line in the back, front ones were ok for 3.5" but no higher. Driveshaft (front and back) are fine at 3.75" lift, no need to extend. I don't have all the information in one file, but I do have some AutoCAD files. Everything you should need is posted up :aok:

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I had Andrew build a 4" SFD... So does that mean I'll need to get longer brake lines up front as well? :scratchhead:

Yea well if you remember from earlier, I messed up with my strut spacers and accidentally made them 4"... so I left them like that! Can't complain about the extra lift. But my stock brake lines did work so I should really write no higher then 4". They are extended about as much as I would ever want to see them. With everything bolted up, flexing the suspension etc won't over-extend them, BUT when working on the suspension (such as replacing a CV), it can be very easy to over-extend them. Longer ones provide that nice cushion and at the same time reduce the "cushion" that rubber ones have. I wouldn't say 100% necessary though.

...With everything bolted up, flexing the suspension etc won't over-extend them, BUT when working on the suspension (such as replacing a CV), it can be very easy to over-extend them. Longer ones provide that nice cushion...

This would be my main reason for getting longer ones. I know I like to pull down on my control arm a little to get the strut out or CV axle out, so the brake lines get pulled as well. And then who's to say you're out wheeling one day, the strut mount fails and your wheel comes down because it's in the air, rips the brake line and fluid is everywhere it shouldn't be? OK, so this is a really worst case scenario, but seeing as how my mounts failed me three times in 2 years, not unlikely.

Jose

Edited by 180sx

• 4 weeks later...

Okay yall, so incase some of you didnt hear I finally got all my stuff from alex to do my sfd, including hardware! So im looking to install here probably around memorial day. I have a few questions though

1. Engine lift blocks, I was looking under the pathy last night and saw that the passenger side engine block is easily accesable and will be easy to place the block on, but the drivers side however, I couldnt even find lol. How in gods name did yall manage to find the engine support and manage to get a wrench up there with enough room to work and take off the bolt???? That seems like it will be the biggest hurdle to over come when installing this sfd.

2. Brake Lines- I have a small window of time when I can install the sfd at my buddies house where he has every possible tool imaginable to use, but between now and then i dont have a way to come up with the money to get extended brake lines made. I have the AC lift coils and my sfd is 4in. I dont plan on doing any wheeling between now and then so no real flexing of the axle just street driving. Will it be okay to drive a bit before I get a extended line? Or is a must have? Can I just simply take another stock line and attach it to make it longer? Im a newb with brake stuff lol.

3. While lowering the sub frame did yall just put a jack under the oil pan and support that while you drop the rest down with another jack? Or did you take out the front axle? Whats the best way to attack it?

Thanks for all the help and hopefully answers guys! :aok:

Okay yall, so incase some of you didnt hear I finally got all my stuff from alex to do my sfd, including hardware! So im looking to install here probably around memorial day. I have a few questions though

1. Engine lift blocks, I was looking under the pathy last night and saw that the passenger side engine block is easily accesable and will be easy to place the block on, but the drivers side however, I couldnt even find lol. How in gods name did yall manage to find the engine support and manage to get a wrench up there with enough room to work and take off the bolt???? That seems like it will be the biggest hurdle to over come when installing this sfd.

In order to get to the engine mounts you have to take the front diff completely out, unbolt the driveshaft, cv axles, and put a jack underneath the hogs head and unbolt the axle itself then drop it down; dont forget to pull the breather tube which you will also need to extend.

2. Brake Lines- I have a small window of time when I can install the sfd at my buddies house where he has every possible tool imaginable to use, but between now and then i dont have a way to come up with the money to get extended brake lines made. I have the AC lift coils and my sfd is 4in. I dont plan on doing any wheeling between now and then so no real flexing of the axle just street driving. Will it be okay to drive a bit before I get a extended line? Or is a must have? Can I just simply take another stock line and attach it to make it longer? Im a newb with brake stuff lol.

If you know what you are doing it should take a half day to install the SFD which is what it took me, but i am pretty mechanically inclined.... The front brake lines you should be ok with leaving stock like i did but would recommend changing eventually, the rear line will have to be extended the stock line is not long enough. also don't forget to extend the rear diff breather tube. Don't try to rig brake lines, it is a very important system in vehicles and should be taken seriously.

3. While lowering the sub frame did yall just put a jack under the oil pan and support that while you drop the rest down with another jack? Or did you take out the front axle? Whats the best way to attack it?

I took a small 3 ton jack and a block of wood and slightly jacked up the motor about 1/2 a inch after i unbolted the engine mounts then let it sit while i did the rest of the work. YOU DO NOT WANT THE MOTOR TO MOVE MORE THAN A INCH UP OR DOWN doing more than a inch will damage it.

Thanks for all the help and hopefully answers guys! :aok:

Edited by muddfildvaynes