Rustbelt Frame Fixin' on my '95

MikeV

We all know or have heard that rust is an issue due to some states using WAY to much salt.

framerip1.JPG

Here is a portion of the broken frame, tried pulling a Rubicon out of a hole and all hell broke loose.

Ripped the tow point, bumper and hitch off on the passenger side. Bungee cord held it the rest of the trip back to the cabin

BeerMe.JPG

I used 2 straps to hold it for the 200mile trip home

Oops also should have installed the sliders

rockerrash.JPG

I get a tear in my eye every time I see some of your frames in the states, makes me glad I live in the snow free land of Perth, Australia.

Just gives me a chance to :crossedwires: since I sit behind a PC most of the day.

biggest challenge is getting use to welding rusty metal to thicker new steel, Metal Ready(one of POR-15's products) worked well to keep the sparkles to a minimum and a constant bead

You don't know what your missing with the snow!-) Salt sux but snow Rocks!!

Bottom of frame was mostly gone so I started with a piece of 3/16" x2"x6' and fed it all the way up the frame channel after I cleaned out the C-ment and removed the bolts for the bumpstop.

I actually cut more out of the frame to gain access to the frame hump and bumpstop bolt holes to be able to weld the plate inside the frame rail, & also bolt it via the bumpstop and hitch.

Welding & bolting = muy muy fuerte! :itsallgood:

frameedit5.JPG

The end of the rails where the bumper attached was very thin, welding this part was terrible. and I couldn't get a grinder in there.

So glad I wasn't using FLUX core, as cleaning that would have sucked! Welds look like chicken poo but try welding a soda can to an I-beam once :chairfall:

frameweld1.JPG

frameweld2.JPG

frameweld3.JPG

bumpstopbolt.JPG

I also used some angle to give me more steel to weld the plating on the sides (also 3/16)

I didn't need to plate the top as it was still in good shape.

once the bottom was welded I just boxed the frame with 3/16 plate and sealed it up with POR-15; this was completed over a year ago and is holding up fine to towing the boat, wheeling, and the highway.

I'll dig up some pics of it complete soon.

Mike

Bah....the welds lookd good. Nice and strong with good penetration. They don't have to be pretty. :aok:

That sucker is in rough shape. I just found another crack in mine right at a weld, near the panhard rod bracket. I plated right over it, including a few plug welds for extra strength.

Bah,bah(look I'm a goat) still not as bad as mine was.In fact I just welded some squire pipe in to mine so I can us my back bumper some what(read.my passger side was so bad that there wasnt any metal(really none) from the spring pearch back,just flakes).

I've never seen any truck rust like nissans.Its just sad since they last a good long time.

Thanks Judge for posting pics! Nismothunder, this is my SECOND pathy I am welding the frame on...this one isn't as bad as my old black one...I cut the entire rear section out of my black '95, as it basically broke off the truck anyways...This one just had the typical spots on the wheel well side (only on the outside and bottom from spring saddles back thank god!) I just finished welding it all in tonight and putting it back together this weekend. Judge helped me (aka Steph) run new steel 5/16 fuel lines and I refurbished the fuel tank, etc. I also reinforced the rear frame with some additional steel ( I used 1/8" hot rolled steel to fix frame) to help as a better tow point and hitch mount. AND, as you see, I was using my trusty 'ol wire feed flux core welder and I have had no issues with it so far. :itsallgood:

Edited by magregor

• 3 weeks later...

Wow you did a lot to that frame man! I've got 2 trucks waiting in line to get fixed. It's gonna take a long time to get my 93 done but I think with magregors help it will come together eventually. It's really rotten and the X member broke off but the frame hasn't "snapped" yet so I may get lucky with it.