Belt molding rust. Repair or remove and replace?

westslope

My '93 pathie has rust in the corner of all four doors windows just under the belt molding. I believe this is a common issue.

One of them--the driver-side, rear door molding is particularly bad and should be fixed or replaced. Pictures follow.

Passenger-side rear door belt molding rust, still in "reasonable" shape. The front passenger-side and driver-side doors exhibit similar rust bubbling.

IMG_1032_1.jpg

The drivers-side rear door belt molding (which I want to fix or replace).

IMG_1030_1.jpg

A closer look.

IMG_1031_1.jpg

A body shop expert recommended that I remove and replace. The part costs C$93.69 at the local Nissan dealership. I have seen similar parts on wrecker vehicles ('90-'95) that look in reasonable shape.

Anybody do this? Recommendations? Any suggestions for safely and easily removing the existing molding?

Edited by westslope

UPDATE

To repeat the dealer price for the drivers side, rear door molding to replace the badly rusted original was C$94 before tax. I drove to Alpi's Van & Truck on the west side of Abbotsford (southwest British Columbia in the lower Fraser Valley). Was told the part would cost me C$25 (!?!!) because removing it would reduce the potential value of the door.

Didn't even have a look. Got back in the pathie and drove to Pick-A-Part (Canada) on the west side of Chiliwack, BC, right beside the Highway #1 (The Trans-Canada). Found an OK part, carefully sought to remove it over an hour to avoid damage. A helpful gentleman helped me remove the window and finally pop it out.

In passing, Pick-A-Part is the best organized junkyard I have ever had the privilege of visiting. Everything is grouped. The web-site is surprisngly informative and up to date. There seems to be a good thru-put. Somebody was thinking safey when they designed this yard.

Folks are friendly; carts are provided; customers are friendly. My time has some value; despite the longer ride, I'll be heading straight to P-A-P next time I seek a quality, used part.

Anyhoooow--sorry for the long digress--I paid my under C$6 for that part and another almost C$4 for some great shape rubber that goes over the dome light driver door switch. Back home, I wired brushed the molding ends that were showing a wee bit of corrosion, wiped it down with 99% rubbing alcohol. Applied rust remover liquid with a toothbrush. Let sit; rinse; reapply. Repeat. Use the skinning blade to poke away at a bit more recessed rust. Dry with paper towel, soft dry clothes, put in oven pre-heated to 200F (with door open). Apply black matte finish tremclad paint. Let dry overnight; discover that tremclad does not adhere to the plastic/rubber molding. Forgot idea of second coat of anti-rust paint. Used Zap-A-Gap-style 'crazy glue' to glue rubber into place over rusted bits. Cut a short section of plastic bag to place over the outer door frame (as in original).

Took me less than 1 1/2 minutes to remove the original. I grabbed the top near the rear end with a pair of vice grips and then snuck in with my 4" skinning blade/utility knife and easily popped the molding out. Nothing like a little understanding to make the job easier. :D

Was almost tempted to do preventative maintenance on the other 3 door moldings, and then thought better of it. I'm counting on a steady supply of better condition moldings to come out of the wrecker yards over the next few years.

Final installation

Fed the front end of the replacement part in under the vertical molding and then snapped it into place. Applied a little Black Asphalt undercoating to both ends. Looks fine to me. May add some silicone caulking to improve run-off on that door and others.

Photos follow.

Removing some of the rust of the new molding in the kitchen

IMG_1043_1.jpg

Old molding removed and sitting on window edge

IMG_1044_1.jpg

Rear window frame cleaned up

IMG_1048_1.jpg

After one anti-rust paint application and after having installed the molding, I applied black asphalt underbody.

IMG_1053_1.jpg

Masking tape catches the dribbles

IMG_1054_1.jpg

Finished product (rear and front ends) looks rough

IMG_1055_1.jpg

IMG_1056_1.jpg

But from a distance, who notices and who cares?

IMG_1057_1.jpg