fuel mileage

yumaboy

i have a bone stock 93 pathfinder v6 xe 4 wheel drive......i am getting 14 MPG in city and 16 MPG on highway....it runs strong but i cant figure out why the fuel consumption is so high....any ideas for better gas mileage???????

Check / do these things.

Air filter

Plugs, wires, cap and rotor

o2 sensor

MAF sensor (clean it)

Oil change

Tire pressure

Adjust Driving habits

Should help.

all has already been done

I did a few things to my 93 within a week or so of each other last year and together they added about 3 mpg to my city/highway average. Plus added performance I could really feel. 1. put on a high flow cat converter. 2. changed all my fluids, lsd, transfer case etc., 3. installed a set of NGK iridium plugs. 4. installed a K&N stock replacement filter. Probably the converter made the most difference but since I did them all together I don't know for sure. I consistently get 18 combined now and run the climate in auto most of the time.

x2

i have a bone stock 93 pathfinder v6 xe 4 wheel drive......i am getting 14 MPG in city and 16 MPG on highway....it runs strong but i cant figure out why the fuel consumption is so high....any ideas for better gas mileage???????

As was said, intake/free flowing exhaust will help some.

What transmission do you have, what size tires and what is your driving style like??

B

x2

As was said, intake/free flowing exhaust will help some.

What transmission do you have, what size tires and what is your driving style like??

B

it is an automatic.....with 235/70/15....as far as driving habbits go.....i keep up with traffic....lol

Replace your Fuel filter. I did on mine, and had a noticeable increase in mileages, and power.

i replaced the fuel filter 2 months ago...as well as the plugs,wires,timing belt,all vacum hoses,intake manifold gaskets,all fluids and filters and hoses....still no better

The only additional thing I can think of are the tires and air pressure.

4-season, mud&snow tires typically have lower rolling resistence (and work just great for me off-road). I run my Michelin LTX 6-ply tires M&S tires at 35-36 psi.

I would assume the wheels are balanced and the front end is properly aligned.

Kingman, a 1 mile per gallon increase in fuel efficiency would represent a better than 5% improvement for most pathie owners.

Optimistically, a series of incremental improvements will all add up to something that is noticeable. Example:

Driving with the windows closed will also improve fuel mileage at the margin.

Edited by westslope

Try Seafoaming it, cleaning the Throttle position sensor, EGR valve (make sure when you take it out you replace the gasket, should be like $2), add an oil cooler, snorkel (for cold air intake purposes if nothing else), less restrictive exhaust system (Borla makes a good cat back system), there is a number of things you can do depending on how much you are able to invest in it, but I would start by cleaning the sensors and seafoaming to get as much carbon buildup etc. out as possible so that nothing is more restricted than it was when the Truck was new... http://npora.ipbhost.com//style_images/1/f...icons/icon1.gif