Mixture I think

schickdog

First check the ECU for error codes (write up in the garage section/how to) and see what it says.

If nothing, then clean the MAF and check the connection/wires.

If that doesn't fix it, check the O2 sensor for resistance (1-1000 ohms) but I better look that up to confirm.

Check all vacuum lines for leaks and let us know where you are with it...

B

will the ecu throw codes if no engine light comes on?

yeah i cleaned the MAF and the connections are good. The o2 sensor is original so that's a suspect. all the vacuum lines are good too.

it just happened all of a sudden. it was running like a top. weird. I am at work right now but i will double check everything tomorrow. I have a 5 hour drive planned tomorrow to head to South Padre island for a little wheeling. My question is, would you drive yours that far if its running a little rough and sputtering black smoke? it also misses in the 3000+ rpm area. no black smoke while revving tho. Maybe a stuck choke? it is the "electro ignition".

black smoke is normally oil is being burned along wit the fuel so u shuld check ur head gaskets for any leaks there, caus if there is a leak it can cause a loss of power and poor performance, check it out and let me know

vg33's and I believe vg30's are prone to cracked manifolds. If the crack gets big enough air will be sucked in, and since the ecu reads there as being too much air it will increase the fuel mixture causing your engine to run really rich. Cracked manifold should be fairly easy to notice, there will be an audible tick, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

edit; burning oil generally causes blue smoke

Edited by Zibi

I had a bad MAF when I first got mine. It would idle okay for a while and sometimes drop to 400 and stall. Other times it would just fall flat on acceleration then stall. One night it blew gigantic clouds of black smoke and just kept refusing to idle at all.

Replaced MAF and a split intake boot at the throttle body - fixed it.

95+ will set a code for MAF - dunno about earlier models.

starting to idle real rough. it died when cold, almost dies at idle, misses bad, lots of smoke. I'm gonna bet it's the 02 sensor. $123 at autozone but it's my only option if i want to be on the beach in 6 hours. ugh.

vg33's and I believe vg30's are prone to cracked manifolds. If the crack gets big enough air will be sucked in, and since the ecu reads there as being too much air it will increase the fuel mixture causing your engine to run really rich. Cracked manifold should be fairly easy to notice, there will be an audible tick, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

edit; burning oil generally causes blue smoke

oh ok thanks, for the edit