Shocks good bad ugly

Stay away from Monroe unless you do only highway, my front ones are only a year old and already they are all bouncy.

Changing them is easy, though to put the new rear drivers side shock on you might have to disconnect the pan-hard rod, but that's easy.

Unless the mounts are different between the 2 and 4 doors, you do not need to remove the panhard bar.

Rancho, Bilstein, Old Man Emu (OME), and Pro Comp are all good brand shocks.

I've heard good things about them. Also Skyjacker makes good shocks.

Are your bushings worn through and/or does the steering wheel shake over bumps? If not and they look fine then I'd say there's no point yet. They are a royal bitch to replace.

It took me 5 hours, tons of WD40, grease, hammers, wrenches, long and short pry bars, bottle jacks, sludge hammer, welder, bruise and bloody hands, bruised and bloody head, and smashed fingers just to replace mine.

Not to scare you or anything...

Well la de da Adam. :tongue: EDIT: No, the shocks take maybe an hour tops. 2 nuts per shock, swap in swap out.

In all reality I wouldn't say it's quite that bad, my old truck had some UCA damage and a few tweaked IFS pieces which made things mis-align. It's definitely not worth replacing if they are in good shape, and as you can see mine were toast. Usually what happens when they get extremely worn is you'll start feeling a shaking in the wheel and see wheel hop over bumps, and the compression rod its self will bore out the hole through the frame and tear the bushing cups apart.

bushing3.jpg

11-26-08_1334.jpg

Edited by Kingman

It will still happen even if you don't wheel it though. When I got my truck they were getting there (started making noise a few months later) and I'm pretty sure it had never been taken on trails (still doesn't see much now), it was too clean and scratch/dent free.

when strut rods are as bad as kingmans was(or even a little less); you alignment changes every time you go over a bump. and thats bad for tires.

I have rancho 9000's in back and I'm very pleased with them. comfortable on road, but ajustable so you can meet offoroad demands as well.

Rancho, Bilstein, Old Man Emu (OME), and Pro Comp are all good brand shocks.

I'm running Pro Comps. The Aussie-made OMEs seem to have the best reputation but are the most expensive. Bilsteins are also popular.

Kingman, You are dead right about sloppy shocks being dangerous. They can increase braking distances by a dozen or more feet.

Edited by westslope

I'm running Pro Comps. The Aussie-made OMEs seem to have the best reputation but are the most expensive. Bilsteins are also popular.

Kingman, You are dead right about sloppy shocks being dangerous. They can increase braking distances by a dozen or more feet.

not to mention being scary as hell when you have a 1000 foot drop off of a highway with a piece of crap retainer between you and the cliff and you hit a dang bump. Definately first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle, regardless of age or conditon. I know it is a slight waste of money, but what can I say, I would rather be safe then sorry. I should check out my strut rod bushings, my wheel use to shake every time I hit a bump, until I installed a steering damper. Maybe that is the cause in the first place, now I barely feel it though. :tongue:

Stay away from Monroe unless you do only highway, my front ones are only a year old and already they are all bouncy.

Changing them is easy, though to put the new rear drivers side shock on you might have to disconnect the pan-hard rod, but that's easy.

I would add stay away from Gibson for the same reasons.

Not only that, but there's wheel hop when you hit a bump and on the freeway the front end bounces up and down when you hit a bump, and it can make it very unstable and you can lose control. In my old truck with a 100% dead driver's shock, if I hit a certain bump just right on the freeway my front end would bounce very hard for a long time and I could feel the other tire with more connection to the road pulling me a little bit. It was pretty freaky.

Got the full KYB set on yesterday. WOW BIG difference.

Had to grind the stud off one of the front struts it was rusted and the previous owner cross threaded the nut on....GEEZ... took longer to get that one strut off than it did to replace the other 3!

But, HUGE improvement in ride and handling.

Will see how these last.