Dynamic wheel balancing

beastpath

I know somone on here has got em(can't remember who), and I've been meaning to get some for a while now (thanks for the reminder) I have only heard good things about them so far, and if you watch their videos it all makes sense.

just remember this is not a substitute for balancing, consider it fine tuning or calibration when you pick up a large stone in the tread.

Edited by MY1PATH

is this similer or the same as those black plastic things people have in the center of their wheels that fit over the hub?

Nope. Those plastic things are for wheels that are balanced as "hub centric". Simply put, that means that the wheel is centered by the hub and not by the lugs. The dynamic balancer is a fluid filled ring that automatically balances the wheel using centrifugal force. The dynamic balancers are good for big off-road tires and they can make that plastic ring obsolete. Most tire shops don't know the difference and they might never balance your wheels correctly.

Nope. Those plastic things are for wheels that are balanced as "hub centric". Simply put, that means that the wheel is centered by the hub and not by the lugs. The dynamic balancer is a fluid filled ring that automatically balances the wheel using centrifugal force. The dynamic balancers are good for big off-road tires and they can make that plastic ring obsolete. Most tire shops don't know the difference and they might never balance your wheels correctly.

what would someone want Hubcentric balancing for and then have to have those retarded big black things hanging off your nice wheels for??? :scratchhead:

Maybe I misunderstood. The black plastic things I'm talking about would be under the center caps of most wheels.

yea, i see cars with a round black disk bolted to the outside of the wheel. It is maybe 4-5 inches wide.... I have never known what it was but figured it was some wheel balancing thing... :shrug:

Welp, got the balancers today and put them on the truck. Holy cow this thing rides good on the freeway now. Just glides right down the road. I can still hear where my tires wore a little funny from being out of balance before I had them rebalanced last week, but its very very minor.

These things ROCK!

Now I just need to go get a real alignment and it'll be a nice highway driver in addition to being an offroad monster.

As far as not fitting on the pathy... You can see in the Pic @ bottom that the lip would hit the caliper unless your wheel had enough room to run the lip away from the vehcile.

Just the front. I think it may also have something to do with the stock wheels on a pathy. Aftermarket wheels should let them fit.
balancer.jpg

I think I'm a order some very soon now that all the talk is about it here. It's ok, I'll be the guinea-pig for the pathfinder...

$200 a set? Give me a break.

Buy a 10,000 shot canister of Airsoft plastic BBs, cut it into four equal quantities (about 10oz each) and throw each quantity into your tire. It's literally the exact same mechanism as this over-priced "kit," and bead-balancing has got decades of history. You can even put the BBs in sandwich bags, and put the whole bag into the tire... after about two miles, the bag explodes and the BBs spread out inside.

I've bead-balanced two sets of tires. My 31x11.5 LTBs were as smooth as glass up to 75MPH, but my 33x12.5 Trxus MTs bring the suck. Sometimes, aggressive tires (especially Interco) just won't balance.

However, the process is sound, and it's been used successfully by hundreds of wheelers. Some guys even use golf balls. Don't waste your money on a kit.

S

I think its just a matter of preference, and conveinience, people do pay for conveinece... and putting a $50 disc behind each wheel is more convienent than filling each wheel up with airsoft pellets. and is only has to be done once instead of every time new tires are installed(not like thats a big differance but still)

Anyway, I got ahold of them;

"I want to order your balencers for my '89 pathfinder(4wheel disc). I have heard some years ago that your 300-305 model interfereswith the brake calipers on some vehicles. I see now that your 6 0n 5.5 modelis now 300-556 just wondering if ths has resolved the issue or not. eitherway I'm willing to try it and find some work-arround if need be. Do youaccept paypal? "

"THE 300-556 IS MADE IN A DIFFERENT WAY BUT HAS NOT CORRECTED FOR THE FITMENT ISSUEREGARDS JERRY"

so probelm not solved...

Personally, Ive seen both of these methods before, and I think i'll just stick with my $10.50 per tire walmart mounting, and if they can't get it perfect they give me price cuts, usually for some reason or another I can get atleast one tire for like 5 bucks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well, I got a hold of some centimatic balencers from a guy on NOR, they should be here next week and I'll see what can be done.

I have rear disc to so we'll find out how they are with those calipers too.

but check out inovative balancing, its a better system and cheaper.

You don't have to use there expensive beads though, all you have to do is go to the innovative balancing website, and check how much weight you need for each tire.

then go buy Airsoft pellets.

i run 10oz in each of my DIY beadlocks and they are good at 55-60mph. and before i could barely keep it on the road.

Edited by 87pathy

yea, i see cars with a round black disk bolted to the outside of the wheel. It is maybe 4-5 inches wide.... I have never known what it was but figured it was some wheel balancing thing... :shrug:

Are you thinking of beadlocks?

do they fit thru the stem or did you have to break the bead and put it in that way?

they dyna beads from innovative balancing will fit through the valve. /Air soft will not.

its easy to pop them off the bead.

place highlift jack on tire next to wheel.

engage highlift to bumper of truck,

jack until it comes off. It it pulls away and not pop off, hit it with a big hammer.

poor in beads, air up tire.. done.