Cash for ?

KovemaN

i think one of the funniest parts about this is that they are trying to stimulate the economy with this. but when the dealer gets the clunker trade in they have to destroy the engine by pooring something down it. then the cars go to the junkyards, where the junkyards have now lost a major part of the vehicel that they could sell. so there goes some of their incoem and some possible parts that people who cant afford payments but can afford a few junkyard parts. stupid if u ask me.

Local news paper had a junkyard crying that if they buy a car for $200 with no motor they are lucky to make $50 in the end. Ever call a junkyard for parts for something latemodel?

My friend was telling me on his vw forum people who worked at the dealers are posting pictures of the mint cars they have to ruin. He said there were a couple of wd21 pathfinders including an extremely mint looking 2 door. So sad :(

• 2 weeks later...
Every part of this cash for clunkers thing is crap. This thread is for anyone with a sense of humor and a dislike of big government. ......

Is "Big Government" the problem or simply uninformed populism?

Take a look at the Scandanavian countries with their enormous welfare states and HIGH material standards of living plus excellent HEALTH outcomes.

Do they have "cash for clunkers" boondoggles? NO! They have high excise taxes on fuel that provide incentives to increase fuel economy/conservation across the board as well as walk and bicycle. Scandanavian cities are clean and people friendly. The same cannot be said for many, many North American cities.

The deeply entrenched American entitlement to cheap fuel is part of reason why the USA is such an economic basket case as we speak. Instead of using a market-friendly price mechanism like high excise/carbon/green taxes on fossil fuels, the USA resorts to emission standards that pushed many a few years ago into moving out of cars into unregulated SUVs and light trucks.

You know what the problem is with the damn Scandanavians? In some respects they are much BETTER free-market capitalists than North Americans. :D

Edited by westslope