Newb from CO

87NPFnewbie

Hello all, names Gary. I recently traded an old motorcycle for a 87 Pathfinder...

I'm not new to Pathfinders and have used these forums for info in helping friends repair and upgrade their trucks.

Up until yesterday, I've never owned one.

Now, I have one and it needs some work. The engine has new valves and guides but still has idling issues. The front end needs a complete rebuild but is holding together for now.

AND THE INTERIOR IS TRASHED! It took me three days and two bottle of frebreze to get the smell of cigarette smoke out. But now its cleaned up and in a drivable condition.

The body is in superb shape!

I'll keep everyone posted on my work with this beauty.

Here are some pics....

A2312701.JPG

A2312700.JPG

A2312699.JPG

Welcome, bout time I see some new ones from Colorado, I see Pathy's all the time and still they don't join. Welcome man. Hope it all comes together nicely

Colorado really does have a lot of Pathy's wandering the streets. The really sad thing is that 99 out of 100 are never used off road...

whats odd about the idle?

Its surging... We think we may have fixed it last night but now dealing with a new problem. We turned down the idle and found that the surging went away but now we are fighting oil pressure issues... Figures!

Welcome Gary, congrats on the 'new' truck. We'll get her fixed up in no time.

First thing you need to do is run the ECU for error codes. I can't remember if the TBI systems have a TPS (throttle position sensor) but I vaguely remember someone haveing a similar issue and that was the culprit... :shrug:

B

Also, don't know if your's has a MAF, if so, check to see if it is slightly obstructed. Also, TPS, IAT, and sometimes it could even be something as simple as an unplugged sensor. Check all those, and like B said, check for codes, real easy to do.

I haven't check for codes yet, (Just read the article on how last night.) but the truck has a new tps sensor, new head/valves/gaskets and I cleaned the Air Flow Meter (OMG! The parts guy at a Empire Nissan threw an absolute fit when I called it a MAF sensor. ROFL!).

I've started hunting in neighborhood junk yards for possibly replacing the TBI completly...

I also found a vacum line that isnt attached to anything but I plan on taking a picture of it to see if anyone know where its supposed to end....

On a side note, I took the truck up to Rampart Rang yesterday to see if I could get stuck in the mud and ended up using it (completly stock w/ crappy tires) to drag my partners Dakota out of puddles!

Surging Idle= TPS. No doubt in my mind.

Mom's jeep was doing same thing, suggested TPS to mechanic, they replaced for 265 and it completely fixed it, along with fixing cruise control issues, odd shifting at highways speeds and while towing, it used to roar at 2k rpms right at startup, would idle rather high like 1k rpm or more.....

I highly suggest looking into your codes and the TPS.

Just cuz it is new, doesn't mean it is right. Look up to see what the resistance is supposed to be to test it. Should say in the chiltons if I remember correctly. Test it first though, no sense in buyin the part before testing it. Other than that, plug that vacuum line, see if that works. but I bet it goes to the breather tube.

I also found a vacum line that isnt attached to anything but I plan on taking a picture of it to see if anyone know where its supposed to end....

I'd say this is pretty important to the trouble shooting process...

B

I'd say this is pretty important to the trouble shooting process...

B

Thats what I was thinking but I didnt find it until recently and I beleive I found where it is supposed to go.... find out tonight when I finally get another chance to pop the hood.

It took me three days and two bottle of frebreze to get the smell of cigarette smoke out.

Been there.. My old Taurus.. took forever before I would allow the kids in it, all cloth interior and like yours it smelled like smoke, but unlike yours it was NOT cigarette smoke :nono:

Welcome to the forums WAVEY

Been there.. My old Taurus.. took forever before I would allow the kids in it, all cloth interior and like yours it smelled like smoke, but unlike yours it was NOT cigarette smoke :nono:

Welcome to the forums WAVEY

The really sad part of it all is, I'm a smoker and had a hard time with the smell...

Welcome to NPORA (and feel free to help in our cause to get our founder's truck back to him)

ok... a shameless plug but not everyone finds that thread on their own.