Welders need to read

Tosh

wow, this was wierd...I was just talking to a 4x4 shop owner I know about that same article......and its on the regional 4x4 site near me....and was thinking 'hmm, i wonder if this could be the brake cleaner one' when I was waiting for it to load....

Sucks, but its really his own fault, I already knew about it personally, and being a welder he should have thought about it before he jumped in.....heck, I don't even angle grind with PB blaster still on a rusty bolt!

That is some scary sh*t to say the least.

Would a breating filtration apparatus help with these kinds of things? :scratchhead:

Probably, but you would need a decent one, not the fabric face mask things....I actually have the two filter respirator that is great for anything you may be worried about toxic fumes or dust, think I spent 40-60 bucks, and its pretty nice, used it more than a few times

Those do come in handy. I got one from the Port from my dad when he worked on an Iron Ore train. Spray painting or paint thinner - can't smell it the slightest bit.

Those do come in handy. I got one from the Port from my dad when he worked on an Iron Ore train. Spray painting or paint thinner - can't smell it the slightest bit.

Dog poo either!

No kidding....worked great!

When I got to use my uncle's mig alot, I would frequently wear the respirator under my welding hood if I had EVER sprayed ANY chemical or cleaner or solvent on what I was welding

Like the article said, that small wiff has changed his life

Why you don't use brake cleaner to clean anything but brake parts.

For any weldng you are supposed to keep some sort of ventilation to keep the fumes from building up because even the weld fumes can hurt ya.

That article came up on N4W recently as well. Basically, exposing chlorinated hydrocarbons to the arc produces phosgene aka "nerve gas". More than one person there uses brake cleaner for weld prep regularly. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner does not produce phosgene. I was taught and continue to use starting fluid which is mostly ether. The best suggestion that I have seen is to use denatured alcohol for degreasing. It is clean and doesn't produce toxic fumes.

Another topic that came up was galvanized metal. Either grind off the galvanizing or use a quality respirator or both when welding on galvanized. The most common coating is mostly zinc and you can get zinc oxide poisoning from the fumes. It's not lethal, but it's no fun. Another common coating is potentially more dangerous and that is cadmium. It is a heavy metal that builds up in the body over time. Heavy metal poisoning can cause neurological impairment and permanent damage.

It's a bitch to wear the helmet and respirator, but it is the best way. I gotta say it's down right torture to weld with both when it's 110+ degrees.

That article came up on N4W recently as well. Basically, exposing chlorinated hydrocarbons to the arc produces phosgene aka "nerve gas". More than one person there uses brake cleaner for weld prep regularly. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner does not produce phosgene. I was taught and continue to use starting fluid which is mostly ether. The best suggestion that I have seen is to use denatured alcohol for degreasing. It is clean and doesn't produce toxic fumes.

Another topic that came up was galvanized metal. Either grind off the galvanizing or use a quality respirator or both when welding on galvanized. The most common coating is mostly zinc and you can get zinc oxide poisoning from the fumes. It's not lethal, but it's no fun. Another common coating is potentially more dangerous and that is cadmium. It is a heavy metal that builds up in the body over time. Heavy metal poisoning can cause neurological impairment and permanent damage.

It's a bitch to wear the helmet and respirator, but it is the best way. I gotta say it's down right torture to weld with both when it's 110+ degrees.

In the end, for me atleast, safety is way more important than comfort....If it were 110 degrees, I'd still be wearing mask, respirator, sleeves, pants, and cap if the situation requires.....

I'm glad the guy's alive, but to not go straight to a hospital after you read about its dangers online ???

For God's sake, guys, if this ever happens don't skimp on the ER fee. Don't wait NINE DAYS to get to a hospital. Go!

I have to admit... if I used ANYTHING to clean with, I'd wipe over it with Isopropyl alcohol to be certain... and then clean water for extra certainty. I've breathed funky fumes welding before (while in welding shop at school no less) and if my professor hadn't been paying attention, I likely could have been in deep cah-cah and passed out onto the welding surface.