Hello from Denver!

ascdesigns

Just introducing myself and my new utility truck! Needed/needs a little front suspension work, and the hood needs new paint, but the drivetrain is in excellent shape! Only 122K miles when the money changed hands and I've invested about $400 so far in new shocks/struts, 30x9.5 tires and various sundry items. I've been lurking on this site for a little while garnering information to make the right choice and purchase.

FWIW, I spent a few hours last night repacking/readjusting my front bearings. Really easy job to do, just a bit slimy/messy. I think the strut mounts are next though... Getting my used 30x9.5 tires mounted today - woohoo!

Looking forward to being able to contribute here as well down the road.

Thanks,

Al

Hey Al, welcome to NPORA!!

Sounds like you are on the right track with fixing her up a bit. I wouldn't worry about paint though, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the intro and feel free to chime in anytime!!

B

Just introducing myself and my new utility truck! Needed/needs a little front suspension work, and the hood needs new paint, but the drivetrain is in excellent shape! Only 122K miles when the money changed hands and I've invested about $400 so far in new shocks/struts, 30x9.5 tires and various sundry items. I've been lurking on this site for a little while garnering information to make the right choice and purchase.

FWIW, I spent a few hours last night repacking/readjusting my front bearings. Really easy job to do, just a bit slimy/messy. I think the strut mounts are next though... Getting my used 30x9.5 tires mounted today - woohoo!

Looking forward to being able to contribute here as well down the road.

Thanks,

Al

Welcome Rockie Mountain Al! (we give you a name here too!) :itsallgood:

I get my Pathy in a week or two, 132k miles 91 SE v6 4x4. Glad to have you and looking forward to you sharing some of that do it yourselfer attitude.

I too hope to do some of my own work and these bung of guys and gals have a wealth of knowledge! So put up some pics, some posts and Go Niners!!

G'day Al, welcome aboard mate. Only problem with 30's, as soon as you start wheelin' you will want bigger, still deciding if I stay with 31's or go up to 32's. Hope you enjoy your stay.

True about the tires - bigger is better in this case. But $150 for 4 BFG ATs with 3/8" of tread on 'em was too good to pass up!

Just an update about my shocks and struts. I had PepBoys swap the struts in their shop. NEVER AGAIN! They fubar'd the main strut nut/shaft on both struts. Got my money back, rented a spring compressor and did it myself. Grrrrrr...

The front end is much quieter now. I think my lower ball joints are OK for now.

- Al

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone - I'm learning quite a bit from all the info here as well as by trial and error. Last weekend I replaced the ball joints and did a subframe 'shift' to correct my caster issue (thanks to XPLORx4 for the advice!). My caster readings are now 2.5 (L) and 2.4 ® (were 2.1 and 2.9), which the alignment shop couldn't believe I did in my garage!

Still need to paint the hood, most likely will rattle-can it since quotes to paint it professionally are in the $350+ range.

- Al

Welcome to NPORA (and feel free to help in our cause to get our founder's truck back to him)

ok... a shameless plug but not everyone finds that thread on their own.