Dash, Tail Lights Out

Badiceman

So my dash lights and tail lights and running lights are all out. Although the brake lights do work. also one headlight on low beam is out. I would normally think Headlight switch but I put in a brand new one not too long ago. So im thinking fuse, but none look burnt out. Are there fuses located other places in the vehicle? What fuse powers the dash lights? Any Ideas?

Help very appreciated!

Edited by Badiceman

Dash and runnign lights i think run off the same circut. Did you pull fuses to look , test light check em or just kinda peek in the fuse box? Did you switch headlight bulbs to make sure that problem isn't just a bulb? Was the switch new or used? Your 100% it's not defective?(it happens)

The Switch was Brand Spanken new. And less than a year on the car. I pulled fuses and looked for broken connections. I was wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction on fuses. do I need to get a test light and check them?

Even though mine is an R50, I zapped my lights pulling my boats out of the water. The same lights as you, running lights, corners, dash. It turned out being the fuse named "Tail" under my hood. So maybe yours could be the same?? Not sure but an idea.

Ok so I pulled the headlight switch off and cleaned/checked all the connections they are good. But I discovered while touching the connections with a screw driver interesting things happened. When I had the Headlights turned ON, I touched a screw driver too both the middle connection (running lights I believe) and the one just to its left (right low beam I believe). when I connected them together via screwdriver, the running lights, tail lights, dash lights, and door chime all worked! Weird.... What does this tell me? Can I rule out fuse? It has to be something with the switch right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I just went thru this with my sentra, (same switch), the switch I had would not shut the left turn signal off after I made a turn so I had another switch in my storage and put it in, that switch shuts the turn signals off but I remembered why I removed it originally, the Dr. low beam doesn't work, everything else does.

I pulled the thin plastic cover off that covers the copper contacts and cleaned them all, still no dr. low beam, the copper "arm" comes down and makes contact with the little pad on the bottom but still no low beam, it has to be something inside the switch so I put the other one back in for now, will have to pretend I'm driving a big truck and turn the turn signals off manually for a while !

You say the switch was new, now a days that doesn't mean very much, quality control on some parts is def. low, unless it's an OEM part. What I would do if possible, is try a switch out of a vehicle that is known to work, ex. friend, co worker, etc), if the lights all work than you know the switch is bad.

as for a bulb being out, usually if a brake light/turn signal bulb is out the turn signal light in the gauge cluster will flash very quickly on the side that is bad. The rest of the lights will work, as was said already even with a bad bulb.

Just saw this thread (original post) is 3 years old, I would hope the OP has this fixed by now, LOL

Edited by ahardb0dy

This also happened to me. Headlights with no dash lights, markers, or taillamps even though the brake lights and turn signals worked. Turns out the switch was defect even though I just put a new one in January. Like Nunya sez, "it happens".