Moment of Silence...

Pezzy

Received this in an email today:

This is written by a young man serving his third tour of duty in Iraq. Thought you might find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting.

Okay, I need to rant.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief? When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America. Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan . They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it.

Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military;

"So that others may live..."

I would Agree that more should be done for those who have lost their lives in war times other then a brief blip on the Tele for certain. But as far as entertainers go, Micheal Jackson was not your average entertainer. If it was just a some music entertainer without a very large following that died then you wouldnt hear about it nearly as much.

I'm not saying that one persons life should be more honored then the next, but if you were to compare his status equally to that of a military personal then it would have been a very very high ranking military person that changed the course of a war. Which you WOULD hear about more then some private killed by a road side bomb.

I personally feel things are a little crazy about the whole thing myself, but you have to remember that his story is not just about being a Entertainer. He's not just about the Moonwalk and Billy Jean. He changed the music industry in such a way that people of color could get a fair chance in a industry that was dominated by whites during a time when Racism was still very prominent. Not that it still isn't prominent, but i think there's more information out there that is accessible to make it a little less difficult for young minds to absorb. But back on topic. He made it bigger in the music industry as a black man then any white man to ever exist at a time when colored people still had to drink out of a different fountain then whites at schools in parts of the US.

You have to remember that it was his stardom, and the fact that he was black, allowed other people of color to see what was possible. The fact that thru his success, white people became a little more comfortable with having colored people doing things that before that time, would not have been possible.

Also, thru his music he did many things to try and bring light to areas of the world that were not being focused on enough. Long before there was a Live Aid concert, Jackson was singing We are the World, and countless other songs. He holds the Guiness world book of records title for the most donations given to different organization around the globe that deal with aiding children in 3rd world countries. it goes on and on. And yes, I know his whole thing with Children pretty much destroyed the guy in the last 17-18 years of his life, but Whether you believe all that stuff or not, the fact remains he was HUGE in the music industry.

Its like losing the Pope in the Music industry. Even in his death he made ground breaking records. His music could not be found for sale anywhere in stores cause they were sold out everywhere. Apple says that on I-tunes, that his music wasn't even on the charts for most downloaded music before his death and as soon as he died, his songs became the #1 downloads instantly, and 9 out 10 most downloaded albums were all Jackson albums. etc etc etc.

So on one note yes... I fully agree. 1 mans life should not be worth more the then next, but on another note you have to consider the comparison.

Meh.... I don't usually get into anything of this sort of nature, and Im sure I'll be reminded as to why I dont soon enough. Regardless.... Just looking at the other side of the coin.

Edited by Dowser

I would like to think it's not that people don't care a soldier dies, it's just they're accustomed to it, as sad as that is. In my opinion the media is to blame regarding this whole MJ circus.

Despite Michael Jacksons "contributions" to the music industry etc. Congress should not be having a moment of silence for him at all.

I quite agree that they should have one for every soldier that has been killed so far.

although I completely agree with the moral of the rant, I do not agree with a silence for every soldier killed. I kinda think that- w-ould be rather disrespectful to the other KIA's in the other wars in a way....but I think there should be a specific annual silence for the deaths in each specific war, not like the 9-11 one, but specifically for the soldiers, because if we had one for every soldier, people #1 wouldn't take them seriously after a while, if do them atall, and #2 they would become repetitive and lose their meaning.

In all honestly I care more about Billy Mays' passing than Michael Jackson's...

Anyway, I agree with the general moral of the story but think OldSlowReliable hit the nail directly on the head. Basicly the same words would have came out of my mouth.

I completely agree with the article/rant.

I'm glad Michael Jackson is dead. I could care less what he did for entertainment, "how amazing! He can walk backwards and slide his feet!" Everyone stop and be amazed!

I care about our soldiers fighting for the freedom that we have to type this up and actually have a difference of opinion! It's disgusting to me what America did when he died, the entire nation stopped upon his death and freaked. Laura Loftus was fighting cancer publicly for many years and when she passed away no one cared. The media took over with all this MJ bullsh!t. Billy Mays, mostly well liked and did so much for charity and believed in helping people achieve their goals and prosper. Did America go into sudden mourning for all he's done? No.

I will say that I appreciate his donations that he made to charities a long while ago, but that's not what he's being mourned for.

This country is beyond effed up. People's morals flew out the window a long time ago...

although I completely agree with the moral of the rant, I do not agree with a silence for every soldier killed. I kinda think that- w-ould be rather disrespectful to the other KIA's in the other wars in a way....but I think there should be a specific annual silence for the deaths in each specific war, not like the 9-11 one, but specifically for the soldiers, because if we had one for every soldier, people #1 wouldn't take them seriously after a while, if do them atall, and #2 they would become repetitive and lose their meaning.

Here in OZ we have ANZAC day, which is to pay tribute to all ANZAC's (Australia & New Zealand Army Corps), celebrated every year on the same day. We also have a minutes silence on the 11th November at 11:11am for rememberance day, for those that fell in WWI.

I just received an email I thought might be appropriate here:

Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy

Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st

Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the

History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10

episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't

know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having

trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was

at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of

the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or

if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st.

I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how

many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so,

and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart

skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training

jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know

where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what

D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into

Holland, into Arnhem." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . .

and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of

D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said

"Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are

left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart

was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in

Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to

get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came

forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have

it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are

still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make

an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And

mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center.

No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet

way. Please forward this email to anyone you know who will appreciate

it. Especially the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

"A nation without heroes is nothing."

Roberto Clemente