New bumper

jwmyers23

I was wondering if anybody knew where to get plans to build a bumper or know where to get a complete bumper that I don't have to sell my pathfinder just to afford the bumper.(winch mount would be nice but not a must)

Just start cutting steel and welding it together, pretty much all I did for my 88's bumper. Just took a couple measurements and went to town. I based mine off measurements for a WARN 9k winch, then just built it leaving a gap for future winch install.

I was wondering if anybody knew where to get plans to build a bumper or know where to get a complete bumper that I don't have to sell my pathfinder just to afford the bumper.(winch mount would be nice but not a must)

really, if you want a winch bumper for cheap, its not gonna be premade. the lowest ive seen a pathfinder winchable is that one that is base price 460, but i'd imagine the shipping would be horrible...........

I'd go to a local 4x4 fab shop, and give them your price range, and what your looking for, they will most likely give you atleast one option

One problem. I don't have a welder. I have fabbed one out of cardboad just to see how it would look. I just have to get it made.

then i guess you just got yourself the answer! I'd now take it to a local 4x4 shop, and sit down with the owner to see what it would cost to make it, if its outta your price range, ask them what you could change to make it cheaper :)

One problem. I don't have a welder. I have fabbed one out of cardboad just to see how it would look. I just have to get it made.

Cardboard is great for mock-ups! I still have a cradboard template around here somewhere for a T-case skid I designed.

I like Bristol board or cereal boxes/file folders for making templates...it may be a bit more flimsy, but it is alot easier to shape due to the lack of corrugated material between. I use it to make mock-ups for sheet metal work, frame repair, etc. it's great!

I have SolidWorks 2008 so if you, or anyone else out there, needs any engineering sketches or solid models of parts (could do a bumper, brackets, etc... ) just shoot me a rough sketch of what you want that has dimensions on it and I can whip something up for you pretty quickly. Could work from it yourself or take it to a machine shop - Either way it would be a lot cheaper then some of the after-market bumpers out there. I'm pretty good with the program... splines and other complex curves are a little iffy, but I can do the majority of modeling. I can also do finite analysis for any force, fluid flow (air/water), and thermodynamic applications on an object - i.e. if you wanted to design your own calipers or something it would be useful. I'm always looking for new stuff to design and model so don't be shy.

All you would need to do is add some rust to that box and it will look just like a Pathy haha

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. I saw something today that got me a little pissed off. It was a WD21 headed for the salvage yard. The poor pathy was coming off of a dealership lot with some other "clunkers". One was a solid axle Toyota! I mean WTF. Why trash them when people like me would love to buy a spare vehicle for parts. I heard that they have to destroy the engine and drivetrain. Why the drivetrain? I don't know maybe it is for the better, But I bet you won't see any politicians giving up there rides anytime soon. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

People are trashing them because they can get free cash from the tax paying public. They are trading in their perfectly good Pathy so they can get $4500 for a car that only gets 4mpg better mileage or $3500 for 2mpg. It's free money for people that want to buy a car, but have no reason to scrap a reliable vehicle. Anyone driving a real clunker can't get financing anyway. What self respecting politician would be caught driving a vehicle that's worth less than $4500?

Where's the "Cash for my dinner table" program? Or how about "Cash for SAS" or "Cash for Kegs"? F-it. I'm starting a new thread for people to list what they would do with $4500 in free money.