ATF temp gauges?

LostNcrRanger

I don't have pics of mine, but I just put a brass T fitting into the line going into the cooler from the tranny. Had to braze a wire to the fitting to ground the sensor out though.

Isn't there an A/T temp warning light on the dashboard? I have one and maybe you can somehow use that circuit to get an actual reading.

Basically that is like a tilt light on a pinball machine, if it comes on, the tranny is already toasted.

I don't know at what temp the AT Temp light is supposed to go on, but I never trust idiot lights. Like GG said, usually by the time they trigger you have a real issue.

Gauges are the way to go. I plan to install a Tranny filter and temp gauge along with volt meter, oil pressure and oil or coolant temp.

B

After I smelled burning oil, decided to grab a transfer case temp gauge and a tranny temp gauge. I think the only diff between a "Transmission Temp Gauge" and a "Transfer Case Temp Gauge" is the labeling. :lol:

I like the idea of getting a T-connecter version for the sending unit. Avoids drilling into the tranny. Could you use a drain plug, too ? :shrug:

After I smelled burning oil, decided to grab a transfer case temp gauge and a tranny temp gauge. I think the only diff between a "Transmission Temp Gauge" and a "Transfer Case Temp Gauge" is the labeling. :lol:

I like the idea of getting a T-connecter version for the sending unit. Avoids drilling into the tranny. Could you use a drain plug, too ? :shrug:

Last time I read something about your tc and transmission oil change, you said the 2 were sharing the same oil...(Which is not true)... I'm not sure if you figured it out..but if you did not, is it possible that you flushed the tc, then the trans than refilled the trans, leaving the tc empty thinking it would filled it too??

S.

Last time I read something about your tc and transmission oil change, you said the 2 were sharing the same oil...(Which is not true)... I'm not sure if you figured it out..but if you did not, is it possible that you flushed the tc, then the trans than refilled the trans, leaving the tc empty thinking it would filled it too??

S.

Ha! Fortunately not. Turns out I never changed the t-case oil. Just the A/T oil. That was 'cause I never found the t-case drain and fill plugs. Today I finally found them - after scraping off crap and using a flashlight. Apparently my eyes are losing it... So there was definitely fluid in it when I smelled the burning. :)

They do use the same fluid, just not the same drain and fill plugs. I was confused on the drain and fill thing.