Pullied the motor

jimmycapp

Pulled her out yesterday by the exhaust manifolds. Came out great. It was the 7.5 hours of dissassembly to that point that was the bitch.

Before that, my buddy called the dealer and talked to the parts bitch. She informed us that the slingers are only availible to technicions. Ass. Told her that we were pulling the motor because of the Jack asses at nissan. She said we can have it in a week. They're on back order. F-her.

But it's out, I'm tired and happy. Looking forward to putting the new one in and having it run. Got a motor with half the milage (41k miles) for 900. Free delivery and 3 month warrenty.

We found out that the entire trans doesn't need to come out of car like the FSM calls for. So no need to remove rear drive shaft. Just remove trans mount bolts to cross member, and LOOSEN cross member bolts. There's plenty of room to move engine forward and out.

Bell housing bolts and heat shield bolts were the worst part. The two upper BH bolts cannot be accessed from the top. You need to snake hand and ratchet from the passenger side and blindly attempt to get them out. On reassembly, I'm going to try and push tranny forward enough to get at top bolts from top of engine. Should speed things up quite a bit.

Beer tasted delicious after that job.

post-4209-1245161244_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimmycapp

I've always wrapped a chain or strap around the exhaust manifolds and haven't dropped an engine yet. The slings look nice since they place them at the correct balance points but the exhaust manifolds always seem to work just fine.

I"m pretty sure the factory lift points are left on all our engines.

I've never pulled on on an R50, but I have on several wd/d21's.

passengers side front and drivers side rear.. there were factory lift points.

Have a look.

good luck.

on another note, I don't know if yours is an auto or manual, but if its a auto, unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate, don't try and pull the torque converter out of the tranny with the engine, You stand a 98% change of screwing up the seals.

One of the few items I'd suggest calling a dealer or Nissan NA about...

blah..

screw the dealer.

lifting by the exhust or intake holes will work.

but i bet the lift lugs are there.

i lift mine with my arms, you can do it, put your back into it

Funny enough my friend (who dwarfs me in size) & I were the ones who lifted my "new" engine out of the back of his truck & carried it about 20ft into the garage with no other help, while it was strapped down on the pallet still.

But as far as the other goes I guess I'm just ghetto/redneck cause I had an old seatbelt secured around the top of the engine(the top manifold - courtesy of Max Stryker ;) ) & we hooked Richards engine lift to it & moved it all around. Perfectly balanced & easy.

Joys of a tow truck for me, they have booms and winches. As for lift points, if you can't find any the seatbelt trick works well. Tie it around opposite ends of the exhaust manifolds(lf-to-rr or rf-to-lr) and yank it on up(carefully).

Way to go man!

Where did/are you getting another motor from?

(Fueler: I can do it I put my a** into it)

I searched around on car-parts.com and found one pretty local, cheaper than the ones in RI, 41k miles, and 3 month warranty. And free deliver. Came from Chuck and Eddies in Southington Ct.

I had to work today, but I got out at 4 and swapped everything over from the old to new and was able to drop her in the engine bay, and align the tranny. That's enough for tonight. Took tomorrow off to finish install and HOPEFULLY start her up. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Good work! You got this far, don't rush it. Now is the time to inspect things, check hoses and clamps, double check bolt torque where needed, change plugs or whatever else you want. It will never be easier than now.

Double check you have all your fluids topped up before you start it. :) (yes, it happens!)

Good luck!

WoW! Super find!

What was the damage for our superb motor with 41K?

Good luck with all today! Did you loc-tite the new engine or did you have to swap over the intake, I am curious to see if they included that for you.

Again, great work and may the Force be with you today!

I had both engines on the floor side by side and checked every hose, nipple and fitting. I hope I'm good. I had to swap over the oil cooler due to a bent line ( didn't know what the hell that thing was, had two coolant lines going to it, and oil coming out. lol)

New plugs are in (NGK platinums a expensive!)

I loc-tited the screws already with the engine on the ground. Paid $900 for the engine out the door. It came with intake, coils, sensors, O2's, pullies, cracked valve cover I had to swap from old one (they knocked $60 off for that), throttle body (though I replaced it with the one from the old engine, because I had to replace that one not too long ago, I guess the originals had problems.)

WOOOOOOOT!!!!! She runs! Just started her up 15 minutes ago, then sucked down a cold one. Install when much faster than removal. I found that the 2 top tranny bolts are incredibly easy to get to with 3 feet of extensions and a U joint. When I took them out it was hard and painfull and took about 20 minutes to get them out.

I still need to bring her up to temp and top off coolant + tranny fluid.

And then clean the disaster of a garage I have, for my grad party on saturday (only took me six years :itsallgood: )

Cheers

Awesome job man! Did your VQ35 come from another Pathy or did you salvage it from another model Nissan? I figured if mine ever kicked the bucket I would look for a 350Z/G35 one with a new ECM for the VVEL...

• 4 years later...

WOOOOOOOT!!!!! She runs! Just started her up 15 minutes ago, then sucked down a cold one. Install when much faster than removal. I found that the 2 top tranny bolts are incredibly easy to get to with 3 feet of extensions and a U joint. When I took them out it was hard and painfull and took about 20 minutes to get them out.

I still need to bring her up to temp and top off coolant + tranny fluid.

And then clean the disaster of a garage I have, for my grad party on saturday (only took me six years :itsallgood: )

Cheers

So did you have to unbolt the torque converter or did you just leave it bolted? The reason why i ask is because i'm in the process of pulling the motor out of my 98.

Edited by jamies_wd21

So did you have to unbolt the torque converter or did you just leave it bolted? The reason why i ask is because i'm in the process of pulling the motor out of my 98.

Unbolt the torque converter and leave it with the Tranny. Otherwise you lose fluid and make a mess.

• Like 1

Before that, my buddy called the dealer and talked to the parts bitch. She informed us that the slingers are only availible to technicions. Ass. Told her that we were pulling the motor because of the Jack asses at nissan. She said we can have it in a week. They're on back order. F-her.

Jimmy, I'm the new guy here and you've been around a while, so I'm sure I'm going to get punished for this...but you sound like an ass.

Just sayin'.

You call the woman at the parts counter a bitch because she wouldn't let you come borrow a tool from the service department?

Maybe you just finished 8 hours of work on your car and had celebrated with too many beers and you didn't mean to write what you did?

Being that Jimmy made this comment almost 5 years ago and he hasn't been on-line in 2-1/2 years, I'm not sure you'll get a response or explanation.

Not being a jerk, just something I wanted to note so you aren't holding your breath.

Edited by Rick13