Won't start...kinda

adamzan

Alright so I went over to start my somewhat recently acquired 95 to move it out of the guys barn because I am taking it to my Grandmothers house. I go to start it, and it won't start, just click, every time I turn the key. So I figured either the battery or the starter is done right? Well I tried boosting it with mine, no go. Banged on the starter with a hammer, no go. The PO comes and tells me that sometimes this happened, but it would start with the REMOTE STARTER !

So now that I know the starter and battery are working I fire it up with the remote and it works great. Now being the kinda guy who can't leave something alone, I wanted to try and figure out what is going on. It fired up last time I was there with the key, and the click comes from under the hood so I know the ignition switch is good.

It has a viper alarm/key less/hatch glass opener/remote starter/dishwasher unit installed. The date on it is circa 1997 or something....

Has this happened to any of you guys before? :scratchhead:

Remote starter most likely screwed up the wiring. This is not uncommon, and one of the main reasons I won't install one on a vehicle.

Time to rip into the wiring.

Alright so I went over to start my somewhat recently acquired 95 to move it out of the guys barn because I am taking it to my Grandmothers house. I go to start it, and it won't start, just click, every time I turn the key. So I figured either the battery or the starter is done right? Well I tried boosting it with mine, no go. Banged on the starter with a hammer, no go. The PO comes and tells me that sometimes this happened, but it would start with the REMOTE STARTER !

So now that I know the starter and battery are working I fire it up with the remote and it works great. Now being the kinda guy who can't leave something alone, I wanted to try and figure out what is going on. It fired up last time I was there with the key, and the click comes from under the hood so I know the ignition switch is good.

It has a viper alarm/key less/hatch glass opener/remote starter/dishwasher unit installed. The date on it is circa 1997 or something....

Has this happened to any of you guys before? :scratchhead:

My Pathfinder dose not have the same alarm as yours but it did at one point have this problem. It was fixed by changing the battery. It would not work with a jump but when I changed out the battery it started working, My old battery still holds a charge but not enough, and when jumping it, it was throwing 2 much for the sensors on these,(is what i am thinking) I did not understand why I keep seeing posted that these things are picky on voltage but after that i understand. I might be wrong on why it would not start with a jump from a known good vehicle but it is what i think was happening. Just thought i would let know know because i spend days changing relays checking wires cleaning connections and such.

Ripped into it tonight. This thing seems like it was installed like a pro. Going to contact the PO and see if he has the manual for it, in case it's thinking it's being stolen. Would rather not hack it up if I don't have to. Some of the wires for it under the hood are corroded and cracked. Gotta find my multimeter as well.

Will let you know what I find.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I finally figured it out. Turns out if the battery voltage drops below a certain point, the alarm will think the truck is being stolen and therefore kill the ignition. There is a series of things you gotta do to make it start with the key again. Kinda a PITA to figure out, but I'm glad I don't have to rip the unit out. I also replaced (spliced in new) some of the wires that had the insulation cracked and coming off.

Also in my poking around I've found it has had the timing belt changed by a dealership and the exhaust manifold studs fixed. :jig:

Edited by adamzan