Need a motor

Engine is knocking a lot, pulled off intake, found one butterfly on top of another, both screws missing. The rest of the screws were loose. Pulled the lower off and found one screw sitting on top of a valve, cant finde the other. What would a screw damage that would cause a bad topend knock, and at what point is it worth grabing a salvage engine?

Also, anyone know of any resonably priced engines?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Anyone who hasn't, go locktite your screws, it took me 10 minutes to get the upper off to access the screws. Don't be a jackass like me and put it off.

ugh.

Engine is knocking a lot, pulled off intake, found one butterfly on top of another, both screws missing. The rest of the screws were loose. Pulled the lower off and found one screw sitting on top of a valve, cant finde the other. What would a screw damage that would cause a bad topend knock, and at what point is it worth grabing a salvage engine?

Also, anyone know of any resonably priced engines?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Anyone who hasn't, go locktite your screws, it took me 10 minutes to get the upper off to access the screws. Don't be a jackass like me and put it off.

ugh.

That sux!

Fortunately, thanks to the economy, you can get a whole car for a few thousand bucks. Take the engine, keep the rest for parts! :)

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?...leadExists=true

x2. That site's great. Just be aware there are a lot of shills on it. I wasted an hour checking sites and calling around. BUT I did find a pair of Nissan CVs for like $100 each at a local place via that site. Should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

Now, time to go pull a door or two. :)

Edited by GoPathyGo

Personally I would say if you have the time and money, go get a block and build up an engine with performance parts... better pisons, rods, cam, lifters...etc.

It would be a little more expensive, but the knowledge, skills, and the power you gain would be priceless! I plan on doing this next summer.

Sorry to hear about it though!

Seeing as we have the same motor as the 350Z I second the notion to build it up better...You can probably buy replacements for every part...

?

If you guys have the same motor as a 350z, what car shares the same motor in our WD21 VG30 motors?

?

If you guys have the same motor as a 350z, what car shares the same motor in our WD21 VG30 motors?

VG30E

1984–1989 Nissan 300ZX/Nissan Fairlady Z

1984–1994 Nissan Maxima

1987–1988 Nissan 200SX SE

1990–1991 Infiniti M30/Nissan Leopard

1990–1995 Hardbody Truck

1990–1995 Nissan Pathfinder/Nissan Terrano

1992–1999 Nissan Gloria/Nissan Cedric (179 hp)

1992–1998 Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager

Depending on how you use it, the 350z would be a fun swap. You're gonna have to pull the engine and drop one in so heck yea. Same corporate engine but different tuning and a few different parts. As laxman says, you could buy the replacements pretty easily and retune it. May not be as great if you do a lot of wheeling, though, since that thing revs even higher than our trucks.

But you can solve the rev problem - and a whole lot of other ones that we don't even know we have - by tapping the huge Z aftermarket pool and, oh, maybe bolting a supercharger on... *cough*

VG30E

1984–1989 Nissan 300ZX/Nissan Fairlady Z

1984–1994 Nissan Maxima

1987–1988 Nissan 200SX SE

1990–1991 Infiniti M30/Nissan Leopard

1990–1995 Hardbody Truck

1990–1995 Nissan Pathfinder/Nissan Terrano

1992–1999 Nissan Gloria/Nissan Cedric (179 hp)

1992–1998 Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager

where did you find all that?

Guess what I found with my buddy's bore-cam....The F-ing screw impacted into my valve. Any idea for getting that out?

Sorry for the bad pic, hard taking a picture of a refreshing screen.

4639_192207840789_507580789_7242215_505103_n.jpg

Guess what I found with my buddy's bore-cam....The F-ing screw impacted into my valve. Any idea for getting that out?

Sorry for the bad pic, hard taking a picture of a refreshing screen.

I have no idea.

What I would try: Make a loooong skiny tube that goes on the end of a compressed air blow gun. Make another tube that would fit beside the first one in the spark plug access hole that adapts to a shop vac. The idea being that the blast of compressed air would stir the screw around enough to get sucked up to the shop vac. This would need to be done on the compression stroke so the valves were closed. Maybe a magnet would work in place of the shop vac tube. Maybe it would work all by itself if you could get it in there?

Edited by BowTied