Ignition key stuck

Precise1

The GF just came home and can't get the ignition key out of the cylinder. It withdraws 2/3-3/4 of the way then stops. There is plenty of side to side (across the blade direction) motion; I can move it in at least a 30 degree arc that way and there is some lateral play also but nothing out of the norm. I've messed with it for 10 minutes, played with the shifter position (auto tranny), blown the tumbler cylinder out with compressed air, worked the key back and forth, in and out, etc and there has been 0 change. It resists removal with an estimated 20-25 lbs pull. I can't see anything with a flashlight...

My two thoughts are that some tumblers are stuck/can't be retracted or something with the shifter linkage not disengaging the ignition lock completely.

Any experiences or ideas?? I'm going to google before I start pulling the steering column apart..

Thanks.

B

did u try turnign the steering wheel back and forth while trying to remove it...it sounds like the lock to keep the key in the ignition may have messed up as you mentioned...you may try starting the car and truning it back off to see if that does anything...

Good call. I tried starting, etc already but I just checked for the steering wheel lock (didn't notice when I was fiddling earlier) and there is none. It shouldn't lock until the key is fully retracted, but perhaps that isn't lining up or broken. The key is still stuck and 3 possibilities now...

*sigh*

B

I'd go with stuck/dislodged tumblers, the lock to keep the key in should hold it all the way in, not allow you to pull the key 1/2 way out. The deadbolt on my front door at home did the same thing, ended up having to pull the thing apart just to get the key out. I have a buddy who is a locksmith, I have sms'd him, if I hear back I will let you know what he suggests.

maybe push the key all the way in and tap gently or if you have something that vibrates pretty violently maybe like a jitterbug (sander) and if it were stuck tumblers maybe the vibrations will get them to go down and let the key out

I tried every combination of anything I could think of and nothing changed.

so you can start it?.. PB time :D.. or some graphite.. something... is the key regular straight key or does it have some funky twist to it?

Yes, the car starts, drives and acts normally in all other ways and it is a regular straight key...

I'd go with stuck/dislodged tumblers, the lock to keep the key in should hold it all the way in, not allow you to pull the key 1/2 way out. The deadbolt on my front door at home did the same thing, ended up having to pull the thing apart just to get the key out. I have a buddy who is a locksmith, I have sms'd him, if I hear back I will let you know what he suggests.

Thanks Dave, I pulled the ignition/tumbler assembly and the key is still stuck in it, so it's not something else; it's definitely the tumblers. A locksmith is my first stop tomorrow if I can't figure out how to disassemble the unit myself tonight without damaging it. It has a cap on the key end with 2 dowel pins holding it in place and a C clip on the opposite end securing the barrel. Looks like they made this so it can't be easily disassembled, but I'm a machinist with a mill in my garage so it's hard to keep me out... :D

Good point about not being able to pull the key 1/2 way out, that's what confused me the most. I've considered going into locksmithing so this is actually informative experience, but not when I need the car for vacation soon...

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it. Feel free to continue contributing as it is all good info. :beer:

B

I know your talking about a Matrix here but I found something that might point to the problem

"T.S.B.::EL004-05: 01-05 RAV4: Difficulty Removing Ignition Key"

It's possible that they share cylinder designs and may have the same issue. All I found in a quick search was the title, and so far, no actual link to the TSB.

I also found a post on another forum that said the issue was resolved (on another model) by the dealer with a new lock cylinder, under warranty.

Thanks Red, I read those already which was why I pulled the lock assembly. This was purchased as a preowned, certified Toyota with a brief warranty and I don't think it will be covered. Rock auto has the replacement lock cylinder for $60 so I may just get that and be done with it... :shrug:

B

hello. I worked as a locksmith for a few years. Sound as if one of the top pins is stuck. Never use an oil based lubricant on them..... Its a big no no.... Us a small amount of silicon spray onside the tumbler. And dont use graphite powder. You will need to remove the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith for new pins. They can re do this by using the existing key. It will cost you but if you drill out the tear away bolts and use an easy out to remove them. The locksmith or a parts supplier can get you new bolts. Good luck. Its actually an easy thing to do, locks are a very basic mechanical item for what they do. Any probs pm me and ill try help you further

Edited by jadm4x4

So I took the ignition lock cylinder to a lock smith and paid $25 to a lock smith to butcher drilling out the pins, and then telling me it wasn't the tumblers but something with the key lock actuator mechanism.

He suggested simply buying a new one as he couldn't be certain that the problem wouldn't happen again. Since it is the GF's car and she has the mechanical comprehension of a salamander, it needs to work all the time, period. What the lock smith did point out was that I could always swap the old tumblers into the new cylinder so one key fits all again.

First, I soak the the old unit in solvent tomorrow, fiddle with with everything and see what I find. If I'm not certain of a fix, then I'll order a new cylinder that I won't mess with until after my vacation...

hello. I worked as a locksmith for a few years. Sound as if one of the top pins is stuck. Never use an oil based lubricant on them..... Its a big no no.... Us a small amount of silicon spray onside the tumbler. And dont use graphite powder. You will need to remove the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith for new pins. They can re do this by using the existing key. It will cost you but if you drill out the tear away bolts and use an easy out to remove them. The locksmith or a parts supplier can get you new bolts. Good luck. Its actually an easy thing to do, locks are a very basic mechanical item for what they do. Any probs pm me and ill try help you further

Thanks much jadm4x4!! I know better than oiling up a lock or using graphite, but didn't know silicon spray was the stuff to use. Thankfully, I have a can. As I said above, I'll take a close look at it tomorrow. I am a machinist and am pretty good at figuring out mechanisms but there is nothing like experience. I'll certainly PM you with and questions!! :beer:

B

Oil base lubricants tend to be thicker, attract dust and grit and can reduce down to a tacky goo over time all of which can make the tumblers, pins, wafers, springs, etc stick sometimes. It's not that oil will destroy a lock, it just isn't the ideal lubricant. At least, that is what I understand... :shrug:

B