What type of stereo head unit do you use?

MaritimeMan

Brand?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Brand?

• Stock
    • Alpine
    • Sony
    • Eclipse
    • Pioneer
    • Blaupunkt
    • Clarion
    • Kenwood
    • Panasonic

The snide remark about trailer parks was uncalled for IMHO, smacks of a Freudian slip to me.... -thnkboutit-

I haven't read this thread for a while. Many of us have been around long enough to realize I have my moments as a smartass idiot. :P Sorry my attemps at dry humor didn't pan out. *insert foot here* WAVEY

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two Dual heads from Crutchfield. They're low budget $120 models, but a year later, so far so good. They aren't high end, but they work very well, with MP3 capability, and a very sensitive FM unit. I'm running a Roady XM2 in my Mustang. Love it. Chanel 150 is great.

Guest psyopper

I'm not voting for anything but I will certianly vote AGAINST Balupunkt.

Hade on in another car for a little over a year before the display quit on about half the pixels. 2 months later it would no longer eject my CD. This was fine, it was the Run Lola, Run soundtrack, great driving music!

After 2 years the display quit all together and wouldn't even play the CD anymore. The battery died in the car and when I replaced it I had lost all of the pre-sets and couldn't get them tuned back in. I eventually yanked the thing and used it for target practice on the local pistol range.

Brad

Guest 05thumpinpathy

ive had nothing but jvc...i like there decks i have 2 15 jlw3v2's and it'll make u check to c if ur heart i still beatin...never once skipped to this day...jvc kd-ar7000...if i had another choice it would prob be clarion...would never buy pioneer or sony just my personnal experience im more into the high end stuff...sorry fans of those...i dont hate ya for havin them...ive put more of those decks than any so dont feel bad just a personnal opinion...

Guest CRAZ4SNO

• 2 Kaption SPL 12's (vented box) or 1 Kaption Pro 12" (sealed box) (depending on the day and planned activities)
  • Panasonic CQ-C8400 CD/MP3
  • Rockford Fosgate Punch 600a5 amp
  • Eclipse 6X9's
  • MB Quart 6.5" Component Set

Quick question, but is the overall sound quality improved when you take out the stock HU. Bose or whatever it may be?

Technically, if all you do is remove the stock HU, sound ceases.

As far as replacing with aftermarket.... sound quality depends on the unit you buy.

AUdiovox, rampage, blaupunkt, clarion, sony, Pyle etc will all suck testes compared to Bose.

Newer Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood can sound much better than Bose.

Your speakers and amps will make a big difference too.

Edited by FUELER

I've been running an Eclipse head and amplification for almost 4 years now, it was definetly worth the money there is nobody else that delivers the performance and absolute bulletproof reliability that Eclpise does. That said the real soundquality differences come from good speakers. I run focal up front with eclipse coaxials and a 12" Extant sub. The system has been in my car for almost 80,000 miles and I've never even blown a fuse.

Gimme a sggestion on a HU Im looking for an upgrade from my current bose hu les say around $150 with an aux input

for $150 you can either buy a good HU used off craigslist or such...

but any HU that's $150 brand new, I wouldn't mess with compared to Bose.

this is what you want for that price

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ele/120246275.html

Edited by FUELER

--> Clarion DXZ745MP Head Unit CD MP3/Wave plyr

--> Audio Control EQL

--> Memphis 300.4 (for Highs)

--> Memphis 1000D (for 15)

--> 1.0 Farad Capacitor

Front pillar spealers are stock but crossed over at 6K ____75 watts

Front Door 6.5 2-way (attached component) additional component Memphis - Tweets in the door skin ___75watts

Back door Memphis midbass 6.5 with component Cerwin_Vega! 1.5" tweeter - ___75watts

The hatch gets the 15" Kicker Square Solo Baric___1100 watts@14 volts

Love the Clarion...it really makes even bad downloads sound more clear...not so tinny!!!

post-1-1135630049.jpg

Edited by 98silverpathy